Onan MDKBM maintenance - coolant, thermostat, v-belt tension

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Has anyone done this service or had it done?

"Change Generator Bearing(s) & Drive Belt" the maintenance schedule says due at "5 years/2,000 hours"

Which belt is it talking about? Is the v-belt the same as the drive belt?

It says "Must be performed by a trained and experienced mechanic (Cummins Onan Distributor or Dealer) in accordance with the engine and generator service manuals"

Problem is the Cummins Onan dealer had no clue what it was when I asked. Said it meant the water pump LOL

bump still trying to find out what this maintenance is? i have reached out to cummins, no response. my local dealer thought it meant the raw water pump impeller which is alarming. i am now asking a different more distant dealer. thanks!

Also, anyone have any tricks how to change the anode without draining salt water into the genset enclosure?

Stuff some rags from the from enclosure panel under the hoses back to the zinc.
If your battery is is in the way - move it.
(I also had to remove the coolant tank)
When I changed the zinc, not much water came out - but be ready to remove and replace quickly -
No big deal

Good luck

Stuff some rags from the from enclosure panel under the hoses back to the zinc.
If your battery is is in the way - move it.
(I also had to remove the coolant tank)
When I changed the zinc, not much water came out - but be ready to remove and replace quickly -
No big deal

Good luck

Yes, been through the motions every 3-6 months. Just trying to keep seawater out. Do you clean and touch up paint the generator mounts/enclosure?

I am wondering if I really need to be doing the coolant flush and replacement every two years? The bottle on the coolant says its "lifetime" and up to 4,000 hours...

Anyone adjusted the tappets?
500 hour check I think. Are they easy to get to or do you have to take the housing apart?

Sorry, 800 hours - "adjust valve lash" I presume it means adjust the tappets seeing that it is a push rod design.

Does anyone know what size ID (inside diameter) the fuel hose is on the fuel line to the generator on the ST44? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom