Restoring running lights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not seeing replacement lenses available for the series 25, but if you end up needing to replace them, an entire new light is under $30 each for those.

I’d just replace them with sealed LED units, it’ll be the last time you have to even think about it.

First running lights just aren't that expensive, but I'm assuming they might have sentimental value to you. For cloudy lenses you might try products designed for car headlights, these products removed the cloudy by using a gentle polisher.

A well known gentle polish that most people use, but don't realize it's a polish is toothpaste. Toothpaste would be my first course of action. But in reality I lie, my first course of action would be to just replace them with LED jobbies.

Greetings,
Mr. BG. I strongly suspect the lenses are a plastic, of some sort. Easy-Off oven cleaner may be the best for removing the paint spatters. I would NOT use a solvent based paint stripper as it could easily damage the plastic beyond repair.

For the cloudiness, try Brasso. Fairly labor intensive as it will be all hand work. IF that fails, you might try coating with clear spray paint but be careful there as well. the solvents may damage the plastic.

I'm sure better minds than mine will suggest other alternatives.

Edit: Just saw the above good suggestions. Try the Brasso. After all, what else is there to do?

Go with a name brand LED unit and be done with it. My LEDs seem to be quite a bit brighter than the incandescent ones they replaced. No evidence of that just what it looks like.

You can polish them up with Mequires plastic polish. I did mine two years ago.

We had similar Aqua Signal lights, though not the 25 series, and found that replacement plastic was almost as expensive as new fixtures, so we replaced them with the same AquaSignal lights, and LED bulbs.
I have never had much success with re-polishing plastic, but then, I do lack patience for some things. :)
JohnS

Back
Top Bottom