Too much of a good thing...Italian Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Italian food is the best. Period.
When you are not eating Italian food you are compromising on food quality, flavor and diversity.
All other foods are knockoff of Italian foods.
All foods wish they were Italian foods.
It's just the way it is.

Italian food is the best. Period.
When you are not eating Italian food you are compromising on food quality, flavor and diversity.
All other foods are knockoff of Italian foods.
All foods wish they were Italian foods.
It's just the way it is.

But pasta is Chinese and the tomato came back from Mexico with the Spanish.

If I had to choose, Southern. Grits, greens and country fried steak with sausage gravy. Swamp Cabbage from The Jolly Gator on the St. John’s River!

But pasta is Chinese and the tomato came back from Mexico with the Spanish.

While it ‘may’ be true that some ingredients have sorted pasts, it took my Italian forefathers to rescue them from a life of obscurity and develop them into the epicurean delights they are today.

No bias here ;)

I could eat ice cream every day, but my waistline would not allow it.

For breakfast, I've cycled through a variety of choices in my life, and would often stick to the same food for many, many months. In high school, I ate two Eggo waffles with butter and syrup every day for a couple of years. For a while it was Pop Tarts.

Pop Tarts and Eggo waffles were considered solid breakfast foods in the 1970's. And I was never overweight, nor were my siblings.
And wash it down with Quik and Tang.

Amazing we lived.

As a kid growing up Chicago , I could eat a Chicago hot dog (Vienna beef) for every meal if my parent’s let me. Instead I got Coco Puffs and a hard boiled egg every morning , the coolest thing about it was watching my father pull out the egg out of the boiling water with his bare fingers. In high school I graduated to a fried egg sandwich. In the 50s and 60s my mother thought eggs were a perfect food. Nowadays depending on the year eggs could be poison. Now that I live in San Diego and with my travels I eat anything from Matzah ball soup to smoked oyster pizza to snails.

As a kid growing up Chicago , I could eat a Chicago hot dog (Vienna beef) for every meal if my parent’s let me. Instead I got Coco Puffs and a hard boiled egg every morning , the coolest thing about it was watching my father pull out the egg out of the boiling water with his bare fingers. In high school I graduated to a fried egg sandwich. In the 50s and 60s my mother thought eggs were a perfect food. Nowadays depending on the year eggs could be poison. Now that I live in San Diego and with my travels I eat anything from Matzah ball soup to smoked oyster pizza to snails.

Growing up, breakfast was always Bacon, Sausage or Ham, Eggs, Toast. Maybe once a month on weekends, we'd do pancakes. My mother thought anything else was bad. My wife said she lived on Pop Tarts or cheaper imitations.

Interesting thread - brings back memories. Almost every single day of my life before school, breakfast consisted of some sort of hot mush - oatmeal, malt-o-meal, grits, choc-0-meal, cream-of-wheat, polenta, porridge or some other sort of gruel out of a cardboard box. I swore I'd never eat that crap again once I turned 18 and moved out on my own. To this day, I cannot stand the smell of it and have to leave the room if someone is eating hot oatmeal.

The funny part of this story is, my father would be sitting at the same table next to his four children (all crying over their gruel) while he was eating two eggs sunny side up, with bacon or sausage patties, and buttered toast, juice and coffee with 1/2 & 1/2 (cream) that my mother had just prepared for him. Oh, the memories................

Today, I rarely ever eat breakfast.

Todd

Todd. Your father is my new hero.

A plate of Puttenesca, a nice Red, followed by, Cannoli or Cassatinas for dessert.

My Polish grand mother fixed us kids a Great Depression breakfast. Thick sliced dark rye bread fried in bacon grease and heavily salted. We thought it was a special treat. We worked it off and stayed lean and mean and for the most part healthy now in our 70’s and 80’s.

Had Guinea Pig for lunch today. One and done though!

Attachments

• MI_06032020_1904.jpg
    MI_06032020_1904.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 44
  • MI_06032020_1902.jpg
    MI_06032020_1902.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 48
Wifey B: Methinks you were the guinea pig. Why, why, why? Was it as awful as I imagine? :eek:

It is a staple here in Peru. Farmed for the table and sold and eaten everywhere.

Some thought it tasted like rabbit, I thought more like pork but not as strong a taste.

I love Italian food, I think it is really popular all around the world just because it is very simple and easy to cook. I've been in Cannes for weeks now and I cook pasta 3-4 times a week for sure. What I like about it is that you can add so many different sauces and it's like a completely new dish.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom