Is there a Universal Greeting ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When they are anchored it is much easier, we just dinghy past the cockpit, say hello, ask a simple question like "are you guys arriving or going?" Or "very nice Sabre, what year..." Or "you guys do OK in the storm last night," and then the conversation goes from there. If they see you coming and dive into the salon, then you know they don't want to chat!

It is still very easy in a transient marina - say in the Bahamas. Plenty of opening lines, same as above.

In a US marina, it's a bit tougher. But I have to admit i am a bit of a chatter on the docks and have no problems starting and continuing a conversation - I think the key is making it about them and their boat and only offering things about you and yours when they ask.

At the dock I've always found a "Hi neighbor" with a smile and wave to be well accepted.
Mainly because I can't remember names. CRS syndrome. :facepalm:

Wifey B: Is there a need for something unique other than just normal greetings? I just thought "Hello" worked fine. ;)

WhifeyB. Are you kidding. Just “hello”? Do you want to be thought of as brunch normal? Shame, girl. :)

I have found this works well and is guaranteed to start a conversation:

Jack/Steve

Your too easy, but we all knew that for the past few years. Thanks, I think.

Can’t waitfor February.

I usually say wipe my forearm under my nose, say "Arrrrrrrrrr" and spit a big gob of snot into the water. :pirate:

Hey Irv, Have my prize waiting. New shoes would be good.

I love to approach the guy in his all white uniform with his hat that says “captain “, I will ask if he knows where the captain is. Yeah I’m an *******.

Robert Benchley is reputed to have acosted a uniformed man as he exited a New York restaurant: "Say, my man, call me a cab."

The other fellow assuming an imperious pose replied, "I'll have you know i am an admiral in the United States Navy."

Benchley then asked him to call him a battleship.

Howard your in the lead. Last year your shoes were safe at all times, someone knew where they were if you didn’t. LMAO

"True story. I had an employee that insisted on answering the main company phone line by saying Ahoy. She would not stop doing it. I had to fire her."

In Old Saybrook CT one gent named his boat JOHN.

So when calls came to his company they could say ," he is on the John , and will get back to you."

True story. I had an employee that insisted on answering the main company phone line by saying Ahoy. She would not stop doing it. I had to fire her. She wouldn’t leave. Finally had to be removed by the police. Honest true story.

That's incredible - I had exactly the same thing happen to me...and I have to tell you, my wife was MAD when I got home that night!!

That's incredible - I had exactly the same thing happen to me...and I have to tell you, my wife was MAD when I got home that night!!

Reminds me of a practice my father had on repeat wrong number calls. The first call he'd answer very politely and inform them they had the wrong number. When they'd call again in 15 seconds he would talk to them. Typically that conversation was going to be trouble for someone. I recall hearing such as "She's gone out for a short beer." Apparently the response was "But she doesn't drink" because his next statement was "That's what she tells you."

Worse was when his number was one different from Charles Schwab. He'd tell them they dialed the wrong number. However, the second call he'd answer their question regarding a stock quote. He'd say, "Let me check that for you" and then set the phone down and gaze into space, then pick it back up and give them a number. Sometimes they were so excited.

Did your wife get unemployment?
LOL

"True story. I had an employee that insisted on answering the main company phone line by saying Ahoy. She would not stop doing it. I had to fire her. She wouldn’t leave. Finally had to be removed by the police. Honest true story."

Should have used the "Abandon Ship" command......

This is how you should greet other boaters:

Attachments

• DB88AD11-45BA-4F4E-9D53-8F21906A657F.jpg
    DB88AD11-45BA-4F4E-9D53-8F21906A657F.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 54
"Get Boating" or "Go Boating" sound like an order, perhaps too "RAH, RAH"

This sounds a little obnoxious like "Get going" or "get out of here"

"Happy Boating" or "Happy Sailing" sound pretty trite

Would be odd unless they were casting off. Just walking down the dock would seem weird. Like telling someone heading into the parking lot "Have a nice trip" when they are only going to retrieve their sunglasses from the car or talk to the marina office.

How about "Good Morning Captain" or " Good Morning Admiral" or maybe just "Hi Captain (or Admiral)"

Typically most boaters don't refer to each other as captain. The dock hands, marina, coast guard, etc use these terms showing respect. No other boat owner has ever referred to me as Captain. (We're all captains).

"Great day for Boating!" (even if it might not be) Or more tongue in cheek, "Always a Great Day for Boating"

Weather is always a decent ice breaker. I usually start with "Hello".

Hello, have fun, be safe, play nice with the other children.

Last edited:
"Aaarrrgh, Matey!" Could do it.

However, I prefer a simple "ahoy."

Robert Benchley is reputed to have acosted a uniformed man as he exited a New York restaurant: "Say, my man, call me a cab."

The other fellow assuming an imperious pose replied, "I'll have you know i am an admiral in the United States Navy."

Benchley then asked him to call him a battleship.

When I was a Naval Officer, we called our all white "tropical white long" uniform, including the hateful white shoes, our Good Humor Man uniform.

Going full RTF with the animated GIF.

raw

Hadn't thought about the friggin white shoes in a long time, rgano. How about service dress whites? Choker whites. And swords.

Why does there seem to be such animosity toward sailors? Many many of us trawler owners used to be sailors who aged out of the ability to maneuver as well as we like.

Most of us really enjoy boating and don't regret the change. However, I have noticed that a few power boaters ask me which one i liked better, I think with the idea that I will say "power, of course" since that's what we've "graduated" to.
But my answer seems to surprise them. We love both, just in a different way. Would you ask a parent which child he/she likes better? Or even which dog or cat he/she likes better?
Not complaining. Just trying to understand.

And now while I am on the subject, a poster said in another thread last week that a sailboater "deliberately" tacked into his path. No offense, but that smacks of ignorance.

I know this will be controversial but I needed to get it off my chest.

Gouchergirl

Why does there seem to be such animosity toward sailors? Many many of us trawler owners used to be sailors who aged out of the ability to maneuver as well as we like.

As a former sailor, I like to think that most of it is good natured ribbing.

Of course, a secret part of me thinks it may be due to feelings of inadequacy on the part of those who never made it as sailors, but that would just be cruel. :)

Gouchergirl

Please explain, you don’t think a sailboater would deliberately turn in front of a powerboat?

I can tell you it has happened to me more than once, the skipper of the sailboat looked directly at my boat and turned so I had to slow way down and put the helm hard over to avoid hitting the sailboat.

Dave

Could it be as we get older we realize we don’t have unlimited times so we opt for more speed and a powerboat, plus all the money we saved using the wind we can now buy a powerboat. :)

Gouchergirl

Please explain, you don’t think a sailboater would deliberately turn in front of a powerboat?

I can tell you it has happened to me more than once, the skipper of the sailboat looked directly at my boat and turned so I had to slow way down and put the helm hard over to avoid hitting the sailboat.

You could come back and knock the wind out of his sails. That always puts a 'smile' of the skipper of a sail boat. LOL Or maybe cause a great wake he cannot avoid?
But then, I do have to mention, even in this modern age, 2 wrongs do on make a right.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom