Refillable 16 oz. Propane Cylinders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopCar

Guru
Vessel Name
Possum
Vessel Make
Ellis 28
If you use a lot of those 16 oz. propane cylinders, there is now a refillable cylinder available.

Yes I know you can refill the disposable cylinders but this looks much easier and safer.

To refill the disposable cylinders you need to freeze the cylinder or hold the safety vent open with pliers while filling or you won't get a full fill.

Since the disposable cylinders are meant for only one use, they often leak after being refilled.

I saw these at Home Despot. The cylinders are $10 and the kit which includes a cylinder is $30. I figure this makes the break even point about ten refills.

I don't use a lot of those, but might use my grill more if I knew I could easily refill the cylinder.

I don't use a lot of those, but might use my grill more if I knew I could easily refill the cylinder.

You do have to use a lot of them for it to make economic sense. I may start running my 2.5 hp Lehr outboard on the little cylinder instead of carrying the big tank and hose.

I saw a lehr string trimmer the other day, powered by propane... No gumming up the carb on that one.

I went the corded electric route though.

Stu

Parks How about an update on the Lehr outboards now that they have been out for a while in the real world and you use them too? The good, the bad and the ugly?

Parks How about an update on the Lehr outboards now that they have been out for a while in the real world and you use them too? The good, the bad and the ugly?

We have a Lehr 9.9 "get home or at least to a safe anchorage to figure things out if the main engine dies" on Badger for three years now. Never had to use it as a kicker. Have the original fiberglass propane tank that's never been refilled. Sits out there all year - never winterized. Fire it up once in a while to make sure it still works. Use Park's paperclip purge method to fill the lines before starting. Starts on second pull every time. No complaints.

You might consider a 4 or 5 # refillable w hose to adapt to anything that takes a 16oz.
They are light and convenient

You do have to use a lot of them for it to make economic sense. I may start running my 2.5 hp Lehr outboard on the little cylinder instead of carrying the big tank and hose.

That was the other thing I was wondering about as I have been thinking about the Lehr off and on.

The problem with the disposable cylinders for the grill is that I have to have a few on hand in case one empties. With just one, and the option to fill it from the boats main propane tank, it would just be one less thing to think about.

I've had a Lehr string trimmer for probably 5 years now, still starts on the first pull!
My big concern with the thing is that the crankcase only holds 1 1/2 oz of oil, so I change that religiously.
Can't say I've had the same kind of luck with gasoline powered tools.

The std 20lb propane bottle on its side will transfer liquid into the small cylinders if it is above the cylinders being filled.

Hop, thanks for the tip on refillable cylinders. Gonna try one.

I've been refilling the green ones for long time. I agree, they can become leakers, bad deal on the boat. One less thing to worry about. I can't recommend doing that for marine environment.

I have been refilling propane bottles for 20 years. Never had one leak.
When the bottles get too rusty I retire them.

You might consider a 4 or 5 # refillable w hose to adapt to anything that takes a 16oz.
They are light and convenient

We have one of those setups but do not use it. The valve on my Magma barbecue was "kaput" when we bought the boat. The customer service rep at Magma told me that they fail if anything other than the 16 oz canister is used. So we now stick with the 16 oz canister.

I just started refilling the 16 oz canisters. So far it's working very well and no leaks. It's a lot easier to carry the adapter than several extra canisters.

Ken

You fellows that refill the disposable bottles, do you open the vent, chill the bottle or do you have another trick to get a full fill? Do you just skip that stuff and settle for what ever will go in?

I freeze the small bottle, put the 20# tank in the sun. Wrap the small bottle in a towel out of the freezer. I don't mess with the vent valve. Is not rocket science, but does require pay attention/common sense.

My experience has been most refills work OK for a while. After several refills I sometimes get leaks around the bottle stem seal when installed on a barbie or heater. Those get tossed after use. Have not had a leaker when the bottle is not connected.

I just got one of the new fan-dangled refillables but haven't had time to mess with it. it has a vent screw which will allow full-fills. I may need to mod my standard refill adapter to make it work, don't know yet.

I pull the vent open slightly with needle nosed pliers. It's easy and the whole process takes about a minute. I find if I don't open the vent I'm lucky to get the bottle half filled.

Ken

You fellows that refill the disposable bottles, do you open the vent, chill the bottle or do you have another trick to get a full fill? Do you just skip that stuff and settle for what ever will go in?

Approx 20 minutes in the freezer then I fill until the sound stops. Then they get put in the sun for a while where they can safely vent if they are going to.
If they stay in the freezer too long as in overnight they can over fill and will vent.
At least that is my experience

Back
Top Bottom