New faucets on a 1985 KK42

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDCAVE

Guru
Vessel Name
Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
We have some really leaky dated faucets in the galley and heads that I'd like to replace. Is there anything I need to be aware of WRT Taiwanese plumbing/pipe OD? I seem to recall that there were issues. I'd like to use those sharkbite fittings if I can. Any advice appreciated.

Jim

Jim, see my thread "Plumbing Fixture Remodel" 6/8/16. The plumber I used was impressed by the use of thick wall copper on our Krogen. We used Delta fixtures from the big box stores.

Last edited:
Jim he used these fittings to attach the new faucets.

Attachments

• IMG_1755.jpg
    IMG_1755.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 107
Same as above, though we used the less expensive "Glacier Bay" brand from Home Desperate.
The head faucet was a standard 4" spread, and all the existing lines/fittings mated up to the new one without any problems.
NOTE:
I did have to drill a 3rd hole (3/8" for popup valve handle) since the new faucet came with one.
It was rather hard to find one in stock that didn't come with the popup valve, let alone ordering one with faucet only.
Now that everything is in and not leaking, I'm going to see if I can replace the existing drain and add in the new drain and popup valve.

Now...to find a decent galley faucet with a 4" spread.

Looks like 1/2" to 3/8" conversion - very common and easy:):)

Yes, the OD on the pipe is 1/2 inch.

Jim, see my thread "Plumbing Fixture Remodel" 6/8/16. The plumber I used was impressed by the use of thick wall copper on our Krogen. We used Delta fixtures from the big box stores.

I remember this thread but I can't find it. Do you recall which section?

Jim

Last edited:
It's interesting to see that your 1985 and 1987 Krogens use copper. The brochure for my 1988 Krogen 54 says copper plumbing, however it was all polybutylene. I'm in the process of upgrading to PEX one leak at a time :lol:

I replaced all of mine with Delta also. Easy. Actually one of the easier jobs on the boat. 1986 Marine Trader.

Now...to find a decent galley faucet with a 4" spread.

Why try? Go back to Home Desperate and have the Mrs pick her favorite kitchen faucet that will install in a single hole then purchase either a nice soap dispenser or cock hole cover(no, I'm not kidding about the name) to cover the extra hole.

Why try? Go back to Home Desperate and have the Mrs pick her favorite kitchen faucet that will install in a single hole then purchase either a nice soap dispenser or cock hole cover(no, I'm not kidding about the name) to cover the extra hole.

In fact, there is a plate that covers both holes in the single hole faucet. That's what I have in the Galley.
All purchased at Lowes

Yes, an easy job

JD, the "Plumbing Remodel" thread is on page 2 of the Builders Forum section Kadey Krogens.

Big Box Store plumbing fittings are fine. I've done the galley sink and one shower to date. During my refit all the lines were replaced with Pex, so easy to fit new single lever mixers.

One thing I did notice was that my boat's water supply pressure/volume is much less than is normal in a house, so output in the shower is not as high. That's not a bad thing. Its quite adequate and using less water for a shower is a plus

Galley, head and shower all replaced over the years a couple of times. For the galley and the head I used standard big box faucets. Single hole galley faucets come with a plate which will cover the extra hole(s). Added soap dispenser by drilling another hole away from the faucet.

Shower was a little more difficult but did find RV shower faucets which permitted the hand held shower head.

Thanks HiDHo and all. I'll check your thread out on the KK builders section.

Jim

In fact, there is a plate that covers both holes in the single hole faucet. That's what I have in the Galley.
All purchased at Lowes

Yes, an easy job
I did think about that, but the problem I'm running into is I want a true plug and play faucet, and the 4" center does just that.
I can connect the existing plumbing up to the new faucet.
To switch to the single holer would require rerouting the existing plumbing (hard plastic, not very bendable) and adding adapters.
Not only that, there's a backup hand pump faucet right next to the fixture which would require additional work and drilling and plumbing rerouting to move it out of the way to make room for the bigger cover.
I should take some pictures next trip to the boat since it might explain it a lot easier than I can. ;)

Last edited:
Jim: Here's what is under the head sink on Hobo. We changed the faucets out when did the new counters and it was plug and play. We're the 4th owners so I have no idea if this is factory or not.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 74
ONLY purchase a faucet with ceramic guts.

As you travel super hard water is going into your tanks eventually.

Only the ceramic will last long term .

ONLY purchase a faucet with ceramic guts.

As you travel super hard water is going into your tanks eventually.

Only the ceramic will last long term .

Now you tell me.

Thanks.

Thanks guys...working thru this stuff. I'll go to one of the box stores and look for fittings and faucets. This is what we have under the counter:
IMG_1922.jpg
And this is where the shower is connected
IMG_1921.jpg

All finished up today: both faucets in the heads and also the galley faucet. I got the faucets at Home Depot but had to source the reduction fittings at a plumbing supply business. The faucets in the head went well with no leaks, but the PO plumbed the galley with a combination of Sea Tech PEX and Maralon and I had to fiddle-futs with it to get it to go together without leaks.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom