"Trawler" as defined by Yachtworld...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"My wife has based on Eric's other post officially labeled our 40 knot Riva as a trawler. It is heavy."

Don't believe it. If it was it wouldn't do 40 knots.
Is that the boat in your avatar? Looks more like 60' to me. But I know little about modern high speed cruisers. What are those black spots on your hull?
No I'm not very "scholarly" and only have so much time for TF. Sounds like we're competing about something here and I don't know what it is.
If this is a who's right and whose wrong thing what's wrong w Chapman's? Show me and I'll let you win the .... discussion. Does Chapman define trawler?

Last edited:
From what I could find out of Chapman's online but not able to copy was...

1. Trawlers have displacement hulls.
2. Lack enough hp to get on plane.
3. Fast trawlers is an oxymoron and incorrect.

But it says nothing about weight from what I could pull up.

I will apologize right here for getting us off topic. I was just taking a playful jab at B&B and maybe Eric got mixed up in it. Eric, I apologize that you got all crossed up and mean nothing offensive in any of my posts. I wasn't trying do anything other than take a playful jab at B&B.

NOW.....back on topic.

My Mainship Pilot 30 had this beautiful nameplate on each side that said "Mainship Trawlers"...in big beautiful lettering. It said it...right there on the side of my boat!!!...;)

I will apologize right here for getting us off topic. I was just taking a playful jab at B&B and maybe Eric got mixed up in it. Eric, I apologize that you got all crossed up and mean nothing offensive in any of my posts. I wasn't trying do anything other than take a playful jab at B&B.

NOW.....back on topic.

My Mainship Pilot 30 had this beautiful nameplate on each side that said "Mainship Trawlers"...in big beautiful lettering. It said it...right there on the side of my boat!!!...;)

And... if on a 30'er it had said "Mainship Yachts" does that make it so - for that particular boat??!!?? :rofl: :D

Please take that light hearted. Thanks!

I looked in my 56th (1980'ish) edition last night and it's only referred to recreational trawlers as being slow and carrying a sail for steadying rather than propulsion.

And... if on a 30'er it had said "Mainship Yachts" does that make it so - for that particular boat??!!?? :rofl: :D

Please take that light hearted. Thanks!

Wifey B: And must home cooking really be done in someone's home? :)

Oh and there was a BBQ place that had "Homemade Ice Cream" on the menu. They weren't lying. I saw the machine they got it out of and it was "Homemade brand" so you get ice cream our of it and it's Homemade. ;)

Had a friend never would go to a place that claimed "Mom's Cooking." She said her mom couldn't cook a bit, just frozen dinners. :eek:

Wifey B

You and I just dated ourselves as ancient mariners.

Baker

I was given a t-shirt that says "genius". LOL

Can't wait for this response.... ;)

Wifey B

You and I just dated ourselves as ancient mariners.

Wifey B: Me ancient? :nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono: Just know a bit about ancient history.

Of course the US had to have the Library of Congress come up with their own classification system.

Now I do the Kindle system of classification. :D

37 years old and got called ancient. :mad:

Scott

It does get funny sometimes. I imagine in person it may be more so!

Wifey B

Old is relative! In college the motto was never trust anyone over 30. That was old then. Not so much today!

You are the most predictable on this site...

Maybe not in real life but here..... :)

Wifey B: Me ancient? :nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono: Just know a bit about ancient history.

Of course the US had to have the Library of Congress come up with their own classification system.

Now I do the Kindle system of classification. :D

37 years old and got called ancient. :mad:

Don't be scared! :eek: :facepalm: :D :hide: :whistling: :flowers: :thumb: :ermm:

I think this thread has been kind of fun...
Even if it has been done before!
Bruce

#2 would imply there was too much weight for planing.
And the soft implication that planing was not of the trawler world.
And I've always contended there was no such thing as fast trawlers.
W/o looking it up I do recall Chapman's 1,2 and 3 that you refer to.

Wifey B: Oh, then ours are heavy cruisers, so all trawlers. I never knew. Thanks so much for explaining. :rolleyes:

Everything is relative of course and the boat in your avatar is probably considerably lighter than trawlers of the same size.

Eric

Why would a trawler weigh more than a "fast cruiser" when the cruiser needs larger engines and carries far more fuel and might have a larger superstructure and more amenities for a vessel similar sized? To me it would seem that the construction techniques will account more for weight than a particular type of vessel of the same size. I'm not trying to be difficult just trying to learn your thought process.

Thanks.

I think we have come to the point where debating what a trawler is or is not has considerable similarities to debating religious or political matters. Individuals most likely enter any such debate with substantial opinion based baggage usually difficult to dislodge. The fact that there is so much rancor over the word trawler supposedly a simple descriptive term suggests there is something very fuzzy about the word just like political and religious concepts. There will be no resolution here regarding the trawler it is obviously whatever you wish it to be. What it definitely is not is a simple descriptive term.

Greetings,
Re: post #110... "... just trying to learn your thought process."

giphy.gif

Most people's understanding of vessel types here isn't too bad.

Their input to labeling trawlers is right up there with defendingood what anchor is best.

But there are gross misinterpretations of many vessel attributes that have been rebuffed by several vessel designers that frequent here and those that just have been in the business long enough to know better.

A good example is using a simple term like heavy, but in relation to what like Bigfish asks. Heavy for a 25 footer or 100 footer? Just as nebulous as any definition.

Last edited:
Coming soon to a forum near you!
"Trawler Forum and Philosophy Today". All in one easily accessed Forum!

Whilst dreaming of powercats I came across this...NOW WHAT???

It is fast...light...comfortable...offshore capable....and efficient. And it says it right there on the side of the boat!!!!

Attachments

• trawlercat.jpg
    trawlercat.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 39
"Trawler" as defined by Yachtworld...

Always considered myself more of a stand up philosopher

Of course my wife sees me more through Bea's eyes

Last edited:

It is fast...light...comfortable...offshore capable....and efficient. And it says it right there on the side of the boat!!!!

I despise those narrow and slippery-looking decks and those unsubstantial, weak handrails. And I much prefer gunwales over toerails.

I know that boat. It belongs to Mary and Joe Trawler. They decided to call the boat their last name and had an artist paint it on the sides. They thought of having their name also painted on transom... but it cost too much! :facepalm:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom