Whisper wall cleaning.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know you have a plan Mermaid. Just thought I would post what I did on the Green boat around 2008.

We had recored the overhead and added the mahogany beams. I wrapped perforated vinyl with 1/4" foam backing around 1/4" plywood. The plywood was first coated in epoxy. The vinyl was tacked with 3M spray adhesive then stapled with monel staples.

To attach to the overhead I used industrial velcro. There was too much camber in the center so I had to use screws into blocks epoxied to overhead. You can see some of the caps in the photo.

The lights were under cabinet halogen pucks on mahogany bases. I later replaced the halogen bulbs with led.

Rob

Attachments

• 100_0211.jpg
    100_0211.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 15
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_24d.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_24d.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 11
I know you have a plan Mermaid. Just thought I would post what I did on the Green boat around 2008.

We had recored the overhead and added the mahogany beams. I wrapped perforated vinyl with 1/4" foam backing around 1/4" plywood. The plywood was first coated in epoxy. The vinyl was tacked with 3M spray adhesive then stapled with monel staples.

To attach to the overhead I used industrial velcro. There was too much camber in the center so I had to use screws into blocks epoxied to overhead. You can see some of the caps in the photo.

The lights were under cabinet halogen pucks on mahogany bases. I later replaced the halogen bulbs with led.

Rob

Very nice, Rob. I love that classic yacht look and I’m sort of going for that, except that I’m going to use the existing center line (fore to aft) support member and run one batten strip down the middle. Then, run my other battens port-starboard every 45”. I as I start to put the support framing up there, I may add some more port-starboard strips so I can add more battens, just for the look. I can always go back and add them later, too. That’s the beauty of removable panels.

Also, one day, I want to put a prettier, more functional table on the flybridge. Removable ceiling panels will get me the access to the bolts underneath. Ditto for the helm seat when I get around to installing a nicer one. What started all of this, other than my headliner was degrading into a nasty mess was that I wanted to pull a cable for the KVH system I installed this past summer. The only way I could find to run it was an unintended access hole found over the helm door when I started picking at the headliner. For me, I just can’t see installing a headliner that can’t be removed for access all of this kind of stuff without doing utter demolition.

Our Salon ceiling is blotchy and in dire need of cleaning. Guessing an old water leak but I had similar look spraying bug spray on my old boat thru Georgia when I left a door open and came back to what looked like an old Vincent price horror file scene of bugs everywhere. The surface is tacky to the touch and we tried a couple gentle house cleanersView attachment 134194 with no success. I really need to replace it all but trying to buy one more season with them. Any ideas appreciated!

Update. Tried something called Tuff Stuff and big improvement. Removed the shiny sections and took out 75% of the stain. Let sit for 30-45 seconds. I’m a fan. IMG_0829.jpgView attachment 1

Im a little late to the party, but when I bought my boat a few years ago (and only 7 yrs old at the time) the headliner in the helm area was terribly stained with mildew. No regular cleaners had any effect. I used a product called Wood-n-stuff that is a leather refinisher with amazing results. Basically a paint-on product. Pics available on request. Looks like a brand new headliner. Not sure it will help if the surface is sticky, but cheap enough to try before ripping it out.

Our Salon ceiling is blotchy and in dire need of cleaning. Guessing an old water leak but I had similar look spraying bug spray on my old boat thru Georgia when I left a door open and came back to what looked like an old Vincent price horror file scene of bugs everywhere. The surface is tacky to the touch and we tried a couple gentle house cleanersView attachment 134194 with no success. I really need to replace it all but trying to buy one more season with them. Any ideas appreciated!

I found a pretty good solution. Bought a product called TUFF STUFF CLEANER. https://www.tuff-stuff.com/products/foam-cleaner/

Big Improvement.

Headliner

If you have a fabric headliner stretched over frames I can provide some tips. If there is room between the headliner and hard overhead, consider some insulation. I did and it made a difference in retention of heat & AC. Glued it up & stretched material over it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom