Mainship Pilot windshield mod

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just to be clear, you are re-using the mounting bracket and the locking bracket, correct? That is a good price, and I will DM you for details on getting a set.

Thanks,
Brett

Correct and thanks for asking. I'm re-using the brackets currently attached to the window frame and the existing knob. The only part I am replacing is the notched sliding "arm". If someone has a riveted style, they would have to drill that out and add a nut and bolt, but that should be simple enough. All I had to do is remove the knob and the 1 bolt where the arm attaches to the window bracket.

I have replaced the Perko several times as the corrosion and pitting drives me crazy. And a visible place to boot.
Will buy a SS set and share set coat if that is what it takes
John Miller
Blue Run
MS 34 Pilot HT in SW Fla

I have replaced the Perko several times as the corrosion and pitting drives me crazy. And a visible place to boot.
Will buy a SS set and share set coat if that is what it takes
John Miller
Blue Run
MS 34 Pilot HT in SW Fla

I spent some time today Googling about for a set of SS windshield adjusters like the unbranded ones I have (photo in earlier post this thread) to no avail.

Not sure there are any that are available off the shelf. Some how RGANO has a set on his boat but that remains a mystery. The ones I had designed and made are already complete and I'll pick them up 6/10. I know a good ME who did the design and modification I wanted to improve the function and durability I wanted. Increased length and now solid SS instead of chrome plated aluminum. No cost for his work and very little cost to have a couple sets made. Only 1 other member here responded in time with interest so I only had 2 sets made. So no other parts will be available from me. Sorry, but I tried. I do own the CAD dwgs and there are online model shops that can make them if someone wants to go that route.

This is likely the end of this thread. A couple weeks ago at anchor, looking at my windshield, I came up with this idea and the resulting parts look great. Because I'm a nice guy, I could have more made at approx $100/pair which is cheaper than the Perko parts. Not trying to make any money, but there is time and travel invloved. Anyway, see the pic of the finished piece. I may also post one once installed, but I couldn't be happier to see the end result. Idea turned into reality is very satisfying.

Attachments

• 20220610_173613[1].jpg
    20220610_173613[1].jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 17
I would be interested in a set. The ones I have are terribly corroded. I’ve checked with the manufacturers and they have only one left of the wrong side for my requirements. I have a 2007 Mainship Trawler, but I suspect they are identical windows. Please let us know when you get pricing as i would be interested in a pair.

Some close photos of the knobs and structs along with the fastening to the window would be appreciated.

I would be interested in a set. The ones I have are terribly corroded. I’ve checked with the manufacturers and they have only one left of the wrong side for my requirements. I have a 2007 Mainship Trawler, but I suspect they are identical windows. Please let us know when you get pricing as i would be interested in a pair.

Some close photos of the knobs and structs along with the fastening to the window would be appreciated.

I am only replacing the arms, therefore left and right sides are identical.

In case anyone is still following this, here's some final pics after the install. The window opening is about twice what it used to be, and no more corrosion or breaking to worry about.

Attachments

• 20220610_173613.jpg
    20220610_173613.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220611_120803.jpg
    20220611_120803.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220611_120817.jpg
    20220611_120817.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220611_121134.jpg
    20220611_121134.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 21
So after all is said and done, there are now a few members who may still want a set of these but didn't respond in time so I have no more. I will have to place another order to be made and will need to be paid in advance. I don't want to make any profit, but also don't want to spend my money. If anyone is serious about wanting them at approx $100/pr. let me know and I will place another order if there is sufficient interest. Shipping will be an additional ~ $15 UPS ground.

Hi to all!

On Mainship 34T, I'm replacing the Perko windshield adjuster with a SS (following your excellent idea, thank you) and had serious difficulty with removing the old one from the moving part of the window (although the screwes were easily removed from the non-moving part of the window).

It seems like the screws on the moving part have bolts on the inside of the window panel, but there is no access to them. I tried from the side of the window, under the black rubber window gasket, but with no result.

Although eventually I managed to remove the screwes with high difficulty, I'm not sure that I will be successful to screw the new SS part back into place, as there is no access to the inside of the window panel to get to the bolts on which the screws will be screwed on.

Hope I managed to adequately describe the issue...!

Has anyone come across the same problem when replacing the Perko windshield adjuster and would know how to go about it?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/advice.

Regards,

Paris

Attachments

• IMG_1023.jpg
    IMG_1023.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1026.jpg
    IMG_1026.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 10
Here’s how you get at the screws

Carefully pull out the black gasket that holds the window into the frame. It will pull out fairly easily, although you may need a bit of lube on it. Just pull it out far enough up the glass to access the screws. You can put a small wrench in there once the gasket is pulled back. Change out the struts and then push the gasket back into place. Final step is to silicone the gasket completely as they will leak, and water will end up inside the window - if the weep holes on the bottom get dirty or plugged the water will spill over into the inside. don’t as me how I know.
Hope this helps

When I re-did mine, I reused all the exisiting hardware and just replaced the slotted arm with the new SS one. It's also longer than the original so youi can open the window farther. Is there a reason you can't re-ue the mounting bracket and knob? Do you already have a reppalcement in mind? I may be able to get another set fabricated for you or I can send you the design drawigns and you can have a local or online shop make them for you.

Thanks "Sailinggod" for the input. It does help, a lot! I understand that for every screw there is a bolt inside the window frame, which I need to reach (after pulling out the black gasket)... I was hoping I didn't have to do that! To reach the two bolts, do I need to take the glass out or just lifting the gasket will do it?

Also, thanks to "Backinblue" for offering to me to join the order of SS; I have already asked a local shop to copy the opriginal Perko in SS for 150€ (pair). I am keeping the same length as I'm worried about safety and the ease of someone getting in from the window when we leave it open overnight at various docks. The reason I decided not to keep the mountings (keeping the knob though) is because they were destroyed as well, being chrome plated zinc... they have not been changed since 2006.

Hope it will eventualy work out!

Many thanks to both for the info and for offering to help!

Take care!

Paris

Thanks "Sailinggod" for the input. It does help, a lot! I understand that for every screw there is a bolt inside the window frame, which I need to reach (after pulling out the black gasket)... I was hoping I didn't have to do that! To reach the two bolts, do I need to take the glass out or just lifting the gasket will do it?

Also, thanks to "Backinblue" for offering to me to join the order of SS; I have already asked a local shop to copy the opriginal Perko in SS for 150€ (pair). I am keeping the same length as I'm worried about safety and the ease of someone getting in from the window when we leave it open overnight at various docks. The reason I decided not to keep the mountings (keeping the knob though) is because they were destroyed as well, being chrome plated zinc... they have not been changed since 2006.

Hope it will eventualy work out!

Many thanks to both for the info and for offering to help!

Take care!

Paris

No worries, glad it is working out for you.

I have a 2003 main ship pilot and would be interested in the bracket you were suggesting for the front window. Please keep me informed

I have a 2003 main ship pilot and would be interested in the bracket you were suggesting for the front window. Please keep me informed

Welcome aboard from another Pilot owner. Can you give us more details on your boat?

My boat is a 2003 34 foot mainship pilot with a soft top. It has full eisinglass however I keep that in storage and rarely use it. It gets awful hot here in the keys at the helm and looking for every bit of extra ventilation I can get, thus the extended window brackets. Thanks

I've had a few batches of these made to order. If I can get a couple more interested owners I'll let you know. Note that this is for the arms only, not the brackets or knobs which you should be able to re-use. My cost is $100/pr incl shipping. Pic attached

Attachments

• 20220610_173613.jpg
    20220610_173613.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 10
Greetings,
Re: Post #41. "Final step is to silicone the gasket completely...." NEVER, EVER use silicone!!!!!!

NEVER!!!

When I re-did mine, I reused all the exisiting hardware and just replaced the slotted arm with the new SS one. It's also longer than the original so youi can open the window farther. Is there a reason you can't re-ue the mounting bracket and knob? Do you already have a reppalcement in mind? I may be able to get another set fabricated for you or I can send you the design drawigns and you can have a local or online shop make them for you.
Agree... when I replaced my std arms I simply drilled out the rivet at the pivot and replaced with a SS bolt & lock nut. EZPZ

Last edited:
Just replaced the corroded center windshield mounts with new Perco mounts on my 2007 MS 30 Pilot II. Next time will follow your advise and replace with SS.
As often happens, one repair/replacement project leads to another. In this case, I destroyed the old window gaskets to access the bolt nuts for the windshield mounts. They needed to be replaced anyway! PFD attached shows a cross section of the old gasket with not so exact measurements.
Does anyone know where I can source replacement gaskets that work for the MS aluminum windshield frame?
Thanks,

Attachments

• Windshield gasket.pdf
    270.2 KB · Views: 27
One of my brackets broke when I was hamfisted and tried to force the stuck window open. PO said he never opened it. Am looking for a replacement and appreciate the Amazon link. The next time I try to open it I will try heating the perimeter weather seal to see if that coaxes it open.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom