Salon Teak Door Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeaBoy

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
1982 Albin 40 DC
Hello everyone. I've got an Albin 40 with the Port and Stbd sliding teak doors. My plan is to reduce as much exterior teak maintenance as possible, and looking into options for building a door/frame with a composite material or even fiberglass. I'm looking to see if anyone has done this, suggestions on how to do this, or recommendations. Pictures would be appreciated in responses as I have found very limited ideas on the web.

Attachments

• DSCN0066 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN0066 (Medium).JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 75
I built a sliding door out of 1” Starboard for a previous boat. No maintenance. Worked well. The glass window was a bit of work with a router but not too bad. I routed a rabbit from the outside and had it come up a ways on the inside. Then set the glass in a bed of silicone. Put some strips on the outside to hold the glass in place but the strips were shorter than the rabbit so that water would drain outboard before going over the standing part of the rabbit on the inside. No need for rollers on the bottom since the Starboard was slick enough to just slide.

Greetings,
Mr. SB. IF your doors and frames are in good shape, why not simply paint the outsides? You will still have the "warmth of the teak on the inside but a much lower maintenance surface on the outside AND a lot less work to accomplish this changeover.

My rear door looked bad. It was teak, and the ugliest part of the boat, and everyone saw it.

I took it off and stripped it to raw teak.
Then I used the Awlwood process which is basically teak incapsulation.

It came out beautiful, and is a furniture grade finish.

It gets washed every time the boat is washed. It is extremely hard and can be buffed out.

I am at year 4-5 with Awlwood, and so far have just been correcting my mistakes.

Go to grandbankschoices and dig around and see how it was done.

Depends what your looking for, and how you want it to look. I wanted the traditional look and feel but yacht quality with zero maintenance, and I did it in a weekend.

Greetings,
Mr. SB. IF your doors and frames are in good shape, why not simply paint the outsides? You will still have the "warmth of the teak on the inside but a much lower maintenance surface on the outside AND a lot less work to accomplish this changeover.

this is exactly what i'd do. a good quality paint will hold up for many years.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom