Shower sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gskill

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
RoxSea
Vessel Make
34 Mainship Pilot
I have a 34 mainship and am having an issue with my shower sump. It appears to be a Rule sump. it contains the old rule switch which is bad. I purchased a new Rule switch however it is too large and will not operate as it hits the tube inside the sump. I know I am not the first one to deal with this issue. Is there a switch option that will fit into the old sump. I would prefer to not replace the entire box.

Another vote for the Whale solution, no sump, no clogging, pumps dry. After showering and a squeegee on the walls and floor of the shower, I wipe it all with a washcloth sized microfiber cloth. Wringing that out over the drain nets perhaps a couple ounces of water. The Whale senses it, on goes the pump and out it goes, no clogged filter, no sticky float switches, no wet sump.

I just got rid of the Rule sump boxes in my two showers and installed the Whale IC pumps. No more cleaning the stinky filters in the boxes. Not cheap, but I'm very happy with the results.

There are several sumps that don't cost a lot more than a new switch. Some are cheaper (Amazon).

Over the course of 6 boats, I have found that anything that contains "bleach" somehow prematurely ruins the Float Switch in the sump. Not sure if other people have found the same issue or not. It happened every time for me and now I am going on 6 years with the same float switch in my sump due to the fact I only use "clean potties" (which is an enzyme based cleaner and deodorant and does not contain any bleach) recommended by Peggie. In fact, I haven't even had to open up the sump to clean it our due to odor. I just pour about 1/2 cup of Clean Potties my shower drain when I leave the boat for a couple of weeks.
Anyway, if you find yourself changing out your float switches in your sump, try this trick:)

Thanks for all the responses. I opted for a new sump. I was going to use the whale electronic switch, but after receiving it from Amazon the literature discussed using a magnetic breaker to protect it. I was uneasy about the possibility of a melt down if a fault occurred using a normal breaker for protection and didn't want to purchase/change additional items to resolve the issue.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom