Earth for ssb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phil23

Vessel Name
MV Unique
Vessel Make
Salthouse Coastal 35
Am I able to earth an ssb radio on my current ships earth which is a negative earth wired to the engine block with an uninterrupted flow through my prop shaft to outside or is it imperative that I have a through hull dynaplate/counterpoise arrangement. Primary use for radio is receiving. Thank you

No. The whole reason that ground plates are installed at significant expense is that they are necessary in order to get a clean ground without interference from any/all of the devices that are grounded through the boat's grounding system.

In remote areas even with a substantial grounding plate, you may find that you need to shut down some electrical devices (principally Fridge/Freezer) to pick up weak signals.

If you want performance from your SSB you need the grounding plate.

You can receive with a coat hanger and don't need a ground.
To transmit, you just need a good counterpoise. A dynaplate is ok but if you pick up large masses of metal like your engine block ,metal water or waste tanks and even your metal rub rail, you should be able to transmit without a problem. Bronze screen and 2" copper bonding foil laid in the bilge close to your tuner will really make it perform well.

No. The whole reason that ground plates are installed at significant expense is that they are necessary in order to get a clean ground without interference from any/all of the devices that are grounded through the boat's grounding system.

In remote areas even with a substantial grounding plate, you may find that you need to shut down some electrical devices (principally Fridge/Freezer) to pick up weak signals.

If you want performance from your SSB you need the grounding plate.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

The highest dB gain antenna you can get with the best grounding you can get!

As an alternative to the copper bonding foil and its inherent installation and maintenance problems, the KISS-SSB system works great and is easy, easy to install

Back
Top Bottom