• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

Albin 40 trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boomerang

Guru
Vessel Name
Wandering Star
Vessel Make
PSN40
1988 Albin 40 Trawler-Georgetown SC-$49500

Yep , we're selling our Albin trawler (once again to my wife's disapproval) and going to pursue something that checks yet a few more boxes on our want list...though truthfully this one pretty much checks all of Liz's boxes...I'm always looking for the unicorn.
Ok -let me get the TF formalities out of the way:
1998 Albin trawler
$49,500
Located (currently) in Georgetown, SC
I'm the owner. At least my wife lets me think that.

We just wrapped up our fall trip from va to SC and the boat never gave us an inkling of trouble.
The PO ,psneeld on here, did an extremely nice job of upgrading most everything over the 12 years or so he owned it. The upgrades were first class , in my opinion, since he cruised extensively and also lived aboard.
We've added a few things since we bought it from Scott , like replacing the cutlass bearing and consequently the propeller shaft, upgraded the electronics , added bridge seating and a few other odds and ends.
As mentioned in the Craigslist ad, this thing is honestly cruise ready and/or live aboard ready. Just like the PO, I try to be proactive regarding maintenance so as to avoid any trouble when we're cruising.
Here's a few pictures and a link to the more comprehensive listing.
I'd rather a phone call or email since the pm system on here is rather awkward.
Thanks
Shawn Fay
Shawnfay2016@gmail.com
804-436-6772
https://myrtlebeach.craigslist.org/boa/d/georgetown-1988-albin-40-trawler/7692069796.html

Attachments

• IMG_1158.jpg
    IMG_1158.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_1160.jpg
    IMG_1160.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_3371.jpg
    IMG_3371.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 128
Last edited by a moderator:
Forward stateroom & head

more pics

Attachments

• DSC00450.jpg
    DSC00450.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC00474.jpg
    DSC00474.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 76
salon & galley

salon and galley

Attachments

• DSC00471.jpg
    DSC00471.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC00497.jpg
    DSC00497.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC00499.jpg
    DSC00499.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC00500.jpg
    DSC00500.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC00522.jpg
    DSC00522.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC00467.jpg
    DSC00467.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 75
aft stateroom and head

aft sroom and head

Attachments

• DSC00508.jpg
    DSC00508.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC00510.jpg
    DSC00510.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC00516.jpg
    DSC00516.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC00517.jpg
    DSC00517.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 64
bridge and decks

bridge and decks

Attachments

• DSC00526.jpg
    DSC00526.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC00539.jpg
    DSC00539.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC00528.jpg
    DSC00528.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 49
mechanical

mechanical

Attachments

• DSC00434.jpg
    DSC00434.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC00435.jpg
    DSC00435.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC00440.jpg
    DSC00440.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC00477.jpg
    DSC00477.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC00480.jpg
    DSC00480.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC00478.jpg
    DSC00478.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC00441.jpg
    DSC00441.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 57
RIB & Yamaha

RIB310 & Yamaha 8HP 4 stroke-it runs great & the RIB holds air. WE bought a paint kit...more like a rubber coating...and it really doesn't look too bad, Sorry that it was covered and in storage on shore when I took the pics last spring.

Attachments

• DSC00532.jpg
    DSC00532.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC00533.jpg
    DSC00533.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC00534.jpg
    DSC00534.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC00535.jpg
    DSC00535.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 12
Now, this boat is nicer than the pictures portray it! The PO is very knowledgeable regarding boats and I consider myself the same. When I say this is a nice boat and it's cruise ready and liveaboard ready, I'm not joking.

Nice looking boat! Mine was an 83 and I’m surprised how different the 2 boats are.
Best of luck with the sale.

Post 1 is different unless I misread.
The captain is selling a boat that checks all the boxes fot the admiral.

Brave man.

Post 1 is different unless I misread.
The captain is selling a boat that checks all the boxes fot the admiral.

Brave man.

Haha Steve, there's a fine line between brave and stupid!
Our last boat was a 34 Mainship that we totally rebuilt. We loved it but I was ready to upsize since it was determined that we enjoyed cruising. I put it on the market without consulting Liz. There was a period of about a week where the conversations at the dinner table were very limited...and if I recall, there was plenty of room on my side of the bed for a while ,too! That was where the scales tipped on the "stupid" side.
After we bought the Albin, she really fell in love with her and is a proponent of the double style and all of it's livability room. I, on the other hand, really like a small cockpit, even at the price of loosing room on the inside. When I ran buying another boat by Liz, I got a brief ,but firm, "hell no" but she shortly came around and said she trusted my decision. That's probably tipping on the stupid side too, but I'm not going to disagree with her, since I'm a good husband and all...
Your 4588 design would be perfect for my wants & desires; lots of living space, a lower helm ,a large flying bridge and a cockpit. Perfect. Except for when I'm under it with a paint brush or on a scaffold polishing the sides. I've come to the conclusion that 40' is the maximum size I want to and am able to maintain by myself.

Man, If a 40 foot Albin in as good of condition as yours, at a modest price doesn't check most of the boxes of a boat shopper..Then they have too many boxes!

pete

Shawn, I am one step ahead of you. We came from a 36GB that checked all the boxes until weather kept us inside. Then we felt how small the living space (salon) was. As for bottom paint, I stopped doing that with the 36.
We both agreed on the change to the 45 before 36 went for sale.

Hi Shawn - Beautiful boat! I wish we had known it was for sale last weekend... we drove right by you on the way home (to FL) from VA. LOL! I'll reach out to you directly via email. Peace - Pete

No, the boat is under contract. We're spending Christmas on her here in SC and then after an insurance survey and closing in early January, we'll be temporarily boatless.
The next model is still TBD but we're leaning towards one with a cockpit like a Mainship 400. We'll be hard pressed to find one as comfortable as this one. We've been spoiled by all of the living space a double cabin gives us!

Enjoy the holidays and good luck with the new boat search.

Hope the sale goes as well as ours did! :noel:

Shawn,

Awesome boat for a great price! Please use the report function to let moderators know when the sale is finalized so we can archive the ad. Take care,

TF Site Team

Shawn,

Awesome boat for a great price! Please use the report function to let moderators know when the sale is finalized so we can archive the ad. Take care,

TF Site Team

I absolutely will! I appreciate the sales platform TF offers to it's members.

Whew! Sometimes things to do with boats just don't go as planned...who woulda thought? :rolleyes:
I know; I should have gotten back on here and updated the thread/listing for those interested in or just curious about the boat and as a courtesy to the Forum for use of a great advertising venue.
Here's whats transpired regarding prospective buyers and surveys in the last few weeks.
I had one serious looker that flew in from up north to look at the boat. He was very anxious to see it and seemed sincerely interested. He arrived a day early when I wasn't there and called me asking if he could board the boat before I got there. I'll be honest, I was not without reservations regarding letting him onboard because 1) he was a complete stranger who I'd never met and 2) the boat is in essence our home and we still had personal items, cash and other belongings of value onboard. Not that I am or was trying to hide anything. I'm trying to be as upfront and transparent about the condition of the boat as possible but I'll not make that mistake again of giving a stranger free reign of our boat unsupervised.
Anyway, he explained to me via a phone call that he liked the boat but found moisture that pegged his handy-dandy Amazon moisture meter in some of the vertical areas and that he was going to pass. He did say the horizontal decks all appeared fine to him. I didn't deny his findings at all but what I didn't tell him was that probably what he found was where Liz had opened the v-berth windows a few weeks earlier and didn't re-secure them tightly. I walked in after a huge rain event and the teak veneer walls were literally soaked. After a few expletives muttered to myself, I tightened the portlights , turned on the forward heat pump to help dry it and didn't give it any more thought.
The next serious guy was a nice guy from Vermont. We talked about the boat over the phone several times and he felt the boat had enough potential to merit him flying to SC to look at it. I met him and his surveyor one Saturday afternoon for a walkthrough and pre-survey where we ran the generator and main & went through the systems ,all at the dock. He even came back the next morning, in yet another deluge of rain ,to take another quick look at the boat (where I'm glad he noticed there were no leaks!) and make me an offer pending an official survey, which I accepted. Fast-forward to a few weeks later for the survey and sea-trial time. Wouldn't you know it. Another MAJOR rain event (gusts forecast to 70mph) and tons of rain! The survey was bumped to the next day and here's what was found. There was water damage in the v-berth bunks under the mattresses (I promise I never pulled the mattresses back since the bedding appeared dry and it's a pain to make the beds- I hate making the beds with the non-fitted sheets and comforters- Liz doesn't mind it). The starboard bunk was dry buy did have minor damage due to a previous leak (I did remove and rebed that portlight last summer because it was leaking).The port side was wet with a little more water damage to the bunk but, since we got 3" of rain just had just hours prior and there was no puddling at all, plus the wall & veneer around the portlight was dry, I surmise the wet wall liner and bunk was from the previous event weeks ago where the portlight was not tightened and leaked. I never pulled the mattress back (or even looked) to allow the undetected leak to dry.
The other issue was the surveyor determined the decks to have too high of a moisture content in them. This sincerely surprised me since I feel I know ,from our last boat and rebuilding all of the horizontal decks, what a bad deck looks ,feels and sounds like. I watched the surveyor walk around , bounce on and hit with his hammer all of the decks, satisfied with what I saw and heard; decks that were solid and rang like a bell when hit with a hammer. But when he put his moisture meter on them, it showed high moisture. He suggested the decks ,even though the teak was removed and glassed over by the PO, had some coring moisture from where some of the teak fasteners had leaked. Maybe so but I was still puzzled because they felt & sounded so solid to me plus I've never seen any evidence of water on the undersides and where I've drilled into and through for mounting bow and stern cleats, the wood coring was as dry as a bone. I have since done a bit of studying on the subject and I have to wonder if the moisture reading wasn't skewed by the several inches of rain we received the night before and was maybe absorbed by the paint/nonskid that is about due for a recoat. It's not recommended testing with a meter after a recent rain and only when the decks are completely dry.
On haulout , the bottom was good but there was one small spot above the waterline that showed higher moisture content due to a previous inadequate repair job.
The final big concern of the surveyor was the engine base pressure. During the seatrial, the engine ran great as it always does , up to (or close to) rated RPM's with no overheating but he said he felt there was too many fumes coming from the crankcase breather tube. He pulled the dipstick while running, which is something I've never done,where there was tiny oil partials visible coming out of the dipstick tube. I've on purpose left the absorbent diapers under the engine from last fall, showing all of what came out during the entire trip South from the Chesapeake. It amounted to simply some discoloration of the pads, not saturation. I remarked to the surveyor the engine has always performed the same ,with the same oil consumption and the same amount of crankcase fumes as always over the last several years and 3-400 hours of time we've put on it since buying the boat , never seeing any change.
I've offered to purchase the survey from the last prospective buyer but not gotten a $$ amount from him. I'd be interested in knowing what the survey found so as to be able to correct the deficiencies for a future buyer and for our piece of mind, since we're going to continue using the boat as we always have and if it sells, it sells and if not, we'll be happy with what we have, which is to us, a good, solid, comfortable & reliable boat.
Sorry for another one on my long-winded replies, but if nothing else, it makes for a good wintertime reading saga for those of us stuck inside!
Also, if any of the previous interested parties I've mentioned are on here, please don't hesitate to chime in and correct or counter me and any errors I've made recalling my version of events. Like I've always said, I'm trying to be as honest as possible when representing the boat.

Thanks Shawn-- Interesting reading-- I think your boat is in overall good shape-- Impossible for any older trawler to be perfect!

I spoke with Shawn yesterday about his boat and wanted to add a couple things. First, he was very upfront about all of the issues surrounding the survey. At no time did I feel he was holding back anything. He was very accommodating to all of my questions, and this was very much appreciated.
Secondly, I have been researching boat surveying and multiple surveyors stated that there are issues using moisture meters. It seems that many surveyors either refuse to use them or only use them in very specific situations..
I am a noob at all of us, so take what I say with a grain of salt but did want to pass along what I have discovered.

I own a moisture meter and have used it several times. They definitely have their limitations. They also have to be calibrated before use. Mine came with a calibration block. But i like to “zero” mine out on a known dry area of similar density.
Fumes/ yuck out of the dipstick are signs of blowby, and diesels have some blowby. There are allowances and just because fumes are detercted does not mean it’s excessive.
Especially on a relatively cold engine.

Have to agree, moisture meters are only a tool to find areas to investigate further. They aren’t an end all test, pass or fail.
Areas with high amounts of epoxy, dense grain, certain filler materials can skew the readings.
Heavy rainfall shouldn’t really an issue, you aren’t going to absorb a huge amount of moisture in a storm. Moisture at the v berth mattresses is common. I have to pull mine away from the hull side or the condensation will make the mattresses wet and musty, taking forever to dry out.
Around here, the seller needs to provide a fairly recent survey to potential buyers. I suggest buying your own survey, then you can choose the surveyor. You want one familiar with these older Taiwan trawlers and their particular attributes.
A separate mechanical survey wouldn’t be a bad idea either, it would be rare to find a surveyor that’s well practiced in all areas.

Your boat new would be close to $700k or more and you have it priced at $49k and might accept less. You have it priced like a $2,000 car and your buyers wanted a the equivalent of a $20,000 car for 1/10th the price. You have not found a serious buyer yet. You have found two tire kickers who know nothing about the true cost of a boat. You have to wonder if the surveyor recommended cutting off the survey early to save the client money before getting to the condition and valuation $ figure on the boats worth.

Might be the reason you cannot get the survey. If the survey was cut it off early, there would have been no survey issued and your buyers assumed the boat was less than what they wanted without knowing it's true value. Those two buyers will likely be boatless until they learn enough, or get wealthy enough to buy a boat.
If I looked at a 40ft boat for an asking price of $50k I would expect to find much worse than you have described.

From a surveyors perspective, what the client expects makes a big difference in the approach. If the client wants a turn key boat at a fixer upper price then the surveyor might cut the survey short by concentrating on areas the client has told him are no goes and save the client some money. The surveyor probably hit the no goes early and consulted with the buyers.

On the flip side, the same surveyor hired by you, asking what the value of the boat is and what you should start out $asking, might yield far different results. You may be under asking the value of the boat, giving the impression that there is something to hide. If you are not using a broker, it's well worth the price of a survey to understand where you are at. You can always come down, you can't go up.
I was paying cash for my boat, at a total fixer up price with soft decks. I believed I was looking at a diamond in the rough with the only downside being soft decks at the walk around level. That is what the surveyor found and gave me a value above the agreed upon purchase price. Knowing the value, was good enough for me. I could handle fixing soft decks. I will likely get my $ back out of the boat at the time of sale with very good rebuild records. When complete I will have it resurveyed for proper insurance purposes.
Just sharing my experiences.

Great looking boat for a great price. If I wasn't in the middle of a flybridge project with our Mainship 34 MKI, my wife and I would seriously consider it. I have used your posts and the Blog about Yellowbird to guide and motivate me through this current project. I know from looking at those that you care for your boats. We love our Mainship, but someday (maybe sooner that later) she will be too small for my wife and our "Three Little Birds." Good luck with the sale.
IMG_2281.jpg

IMG_2204.jpg

IMG_2283.jpg

IMG_6011.jpg

Yikes! Your pictures sent a chill down my spine...that was an undertaking that I am glad is behind us! Good job & keep on persevering, you'll have a nice boat when it's completed! What am I thinking??? Completed? That word doesn't exist in the used boat vocabulary.
I do hope you post your endeavors and progress (and setbacks) in the Mainship section. It'll be interesting and helpful for other Mainship classic DIY owners.

It's amazing to me, that with no other advertising anywhere else, I still get 1 or 2 messages weekly regarding this "for sale" thread! What a great targeted-marketing resource this forum has been!

To everyone interested, by all means, still feel free to contact me any time but yes, the boat is still for sale and it is still in Georgetown ,SC until on/about April 20th, which is when we'll bring her back home to VA (where it will me MUCH easier and more convenient for me to show/seatrial).

Here's a link to the thread that I started to be as absolutely forthcoming about the boat's condition as possible. For anyone interested in the boat, this might be a worthwhile thread if they haven't seen it.
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/questionable-survey-70898.html.

As I've always maintained, I feel this boat is fairly priced for a good-looking , dependable, turn-key classic trawler that really needs nothing to start cruising. The next thing it needs is topside paint ,which I guess I will begrudgingly start when we get it back to our dock unless it sells.

We brought the boat back from SC to our home dock in VA last week and as expected, it performed flawlessly with no problems whatsoever and we had a wonderful trip!
We are interested in a couple of boats but as I've always maintained, I refuse to be a 2-boat owner. It amazes me that this one hasn't sold. Oh well, we'll keep enjoying it as long as we have it. I'm going to start prepping and painting the topsides now that it's back home. I won't be enjoying that...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom