• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

1981 Cheoy Lee 67

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Martin J

Guru
Vessel Name
Artemis
Vessel Make
Cheoy Lee 67
Hi Guys

As Many of you know I've spent the last few years refitting my 1981 Cheoy Lee 67. I bought it to replace my Cheoy Lee 53 we lost in Hurricane Irma in the BVI's in 2017.
However due to a medical hiccup in life we have to sell it. The list of upgrades and major work has been huge. And the plan was to go back down to Caribbean and continue cruising. The list of work has been huge engines are Cat 3208 NA (300+ hrs since major o/haul. Gens are new with 300 hrs+ 3500 gall diesel tanks. If anyone is interested, I can put you in contact with the marina manager to view.

The boat is lying in Tarpon Springs.

You will need to carry out some work to finish the refit paint and varnish etc

Please no tire kickers and time wasters.

An incredible vessel 240K.

Attachments

• DSC01107 1.jpg
    DSC01107 1.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 321
Several years ago, a friend took essentially the same boat from San Francisco to Hawaii, then Tahiti, then Australia where he sold the boat. Very capable boat and an amazing liveaboard for under $250k. My dream at the time was to do a liveaboard trawler school similar to John Neal's Mahina Tiare. The owner was kind enough to consider allowing the boat to be uses as a training platform. Fork in the road for me - around that time I rejoined corporate America.

Peter

Last edited:
Hi Guys

If anyone is interested in my boat, I will be on board for the next 8 days. So can go through what's been done and what is required.

Very nice ship. I wonder what the range is with those massive tanks in it. The engines are thirsty as i understand. I am not yet ready to pull the trigger on any boat. I need to sell my house and a few properties in the Philippines first.

They are 3208 NA's (Naturally aspirated) Max 210hp, so consumptions is not bad and the tankage gives transatlantic range etc. Probably burning around 7 galls an hour at 1800rpm.Producing 66hp at that speed.

They are 3208 NA's (Naturally aspirated) Max 210hp, so consumptions is not bad and the tankage gives transatlantic range etc. Probably burning around 7 galls an hour at 1800rpm.Producing 66hp at that speed.

At what speed does it burn 7 galls

Hi Guys

As Many of you know I've spent the last few years refitting my 1981 Cheoy Lee 67. I bought it to replace my Cheoy Lee 53 we lost in Hurricane Irma in the BVI's in 2017.
However due to a medical hiccup in life we have to sell it. The list of upgrades and major work has been huge. And the plan was to go back down to Caribbean and continue cruising. The list of work has been huge engines are Cat 3208 NA (300+ hrs since major o/haul. Gens are new with 300 hrs+ 3500 gall diesel tanks. If anyone is interested, I can put you in contact with the marina manager to view.

If still available would like to understand more fully. Please let me know. Thanks

Hi Guys

First appearances look good from the pic. Would like to know,
How many hours prior to "rebuilt" engines. What was done during the rebuild as they are not sleeved.
Airdraft- can it do the Great Loop, less than 19.5' with bimini down.
Any stabilizers?
More pics?

Airdraft- can it do the Great Loop, less than 19.5' with bimini down.
Any stabilizers?
More pics?

Draft would be my guess, for your biggest problem on the the loop. I had to be very careful with tides to have enough water under keel and my draft is 3 feet. The beam will keep you out of the Canadian canals.
Mike

HI Buddy,
Sorry about the delay in replying,

I have a god friend down in Tarpon Springs who is dealing with this for me.
He has photos/ relevant details etc.

His details are

Larry Kornreich
T 727 364 1133
Hudsonboy66@yahoo.com

Mr RT,

Thanks for the figures and setting the record straight. I was parroting some friends who went did both the Rideau and the Trent-Severn. They talked about the narrow canal and the big rocks along the sides. It made an impression.

My friends did make it through and had a great time in your wonderful country. I wish I would have made it there also.

Mike

Greetings,
Mr. b. Your post #11. "The beam will keep you out of the Canadian canals." Operational width of Rideau Canals lock stations is 28'. https://parks.canada.ca/lhn-nhs/on/rideau/visit/navigation/points-retenir-navigation-facts
A 67 ft boat in the Rideau and Trent will not make you very popular with us natives, The only way to contemplate it would be to do as the Kawartha Voyageur does, and pay for Locks to open early for them to pass and they do not stay at the Locks, where the power is. also 4'6" over the sill at the 3rd lock in Jones falls, will probably trip you up

Greetings,
Mr. C. Hmmm...First I've ever heard of any dissension amongst the "natives" to larger boats transiting the system. Agreed the KV is a bit of a bother on occasion but she's a one-shot deal. Nothing that can't easily be worked around.

Also agree that too low or too high water can complicate matters.

Greetings,
Mr. C. Hmmm...First I've ever heard of any dissension amongst the "natives" to larger boats transiting the system. Agreed the KV is a bit of a bother on occasion but she's a one-shot deal. Nothing that can't easily be worked around.

Also agree that too low or too high water can complicate matters.
Sorry RT yes that was my point she makes sure she does not effect the system by paying to transit early and alone and docks without taking up all the dock space. I think we can all agree a safe size for the Rideau and Trent is about 45 ft with 4ft of depth. I know you know the Rideau well, can you imagine meeting a 65ft 6ft draught vessel coming into the Top of Jones falls, or exiting Newboro heading for the narrows. Unfortunately over the past few years (Post Covid) we are seeing bigger and bigger vessels trying to transit, and the talk on the dock is it is starting to become an issue. (We were locking up last year with a couple from Wisconsin on a GB36 who were worried they were to big and could not believe how big boats were that were coming through the system) Last year there were 4 Fleming 55's traveling together all refused to shut off generators in the Locks, (Against the rules, and puts our fine Lock staff in a very tenable position), Theses are beautiful boats and I am sure the folks are very nice that own them, but as our boat is not intended to go through the Welland and run up the middle of the lakes, They are designed to do so, and when they do are a fabulous sight for us to see. My intent was to let the OP know that if he is concerned he should be.

Sorry RT yes that was my point she makes sure she does not effect the system by paying to transit early and alone and docks without taking up all the dock space. I think we can all agree a safe size for the Rideau and Trent is about 45 ft with 4ft of depth. I know you know the Rideau well, can you imagine meeting a 65ft 6ft draught vessel coming into the Top of Jones falls, or exiting Newboro heading for the narrows. Unfortunately over the past few years (Post Covid) we are seeing bigger and bigger vessels trying to transit, and the talk on the dock is it is starting to become an issue. (We were locking up last year with a couple from Wisconsin on a GB36 who were worried they were to big and could not believe how big boats were that were coming through the system) Last year there were 4 Fleming 55's traveling together all refused to shut off generators in the Locks, (Against the rules, and puts our fine Lock staff in a very tenable position), Theses are beautiful boats and I am sure the folks are very nice that own them, but as our boat is not intended to go through the Welland and run up the middle of the lakes, They are designed to do so, and when they do are a fabulous sight for us to see. My intent was to let the OP know that if he is concerned he should be.

I thought the limit was 65’ and 6’ draft. The Canal authority sets the limits and if the boat is too big then they should stop it at the first lock. I know they quizzed us on the draft, we were under 5’ so we didn’t have to sign a damage waiver. They said between 5’ and 6’ draft they wanted the waiver. Over 6’ they said no go. If the boat is over the size limits then the canal should deny it entry. Sure there are some big boats but if they are within the size limits then they should be allowed to enter the system. Or get the canal authority to change the size limits.

As to the generators running in the locks, the lock master should have told them to shut the generator off and then waited for them to comply. If they have to wait for a while, or for hours, for the lock master to move them up/down, don’t you think the boat owners will comply? It is just like training a dog, lay down the rules and then wait for the dog to comply. If you say they have to shut off the generators and then you lock them through anyway you are enabling bad behavior.

Greetings,
Mr. C. I understand the canal people TRY to maintain depths of 5' on the Rideau and 6' on the Trent. I have no idea of other caveats. I would guess that there are size and weight limitations for the marine railway at Big Chute.
I also understand fixed bridge clearance is 21'.

We have experienced too high and too low waters in our transits over the last 30 years, or so.

I thought the limit was 65’ and 6’ draft. The Canal authority sets the limits and if the boat is too big then they should stop it at the first lock. I know they quizzed us on the draft, we were under 5’ so we didn’t have to sign a damage waiver. They said between 5’ and 6’ draft they wanted the waiver. Over 6’ they said no go. If the boat is over the size limits then the canal should deny it entry. Sure there are some big boats but if they are within the size limits then they should be allowed to enter the system. Or get the canal authority to change the size limits.

As to the generators running in the locks, the lock master should have told them to shut the generator off and then waited for them to comply. If they have to wait for a while, or for hours, for the lock master to move them up/down, don’t you think the boat owners will comply? It is just like training a dog, lay down the rules and then wait for the dog to comply. If you say they have to shut off the generators and then you lock them through anyway you are enabling bad behavior.
Totally agree that the lock should not have moved, until the situation was resolved Unfortunately for Guys like us who were behind them that would have been pretty unfair. Dave, the Lock staff as you know try very hard to be accommodating and unfortunately the owners would not comply (we were at Kingston Mills behind them) and know the Lock staff very very well, and Jen made the best call she could in a tough situation, and then passed on the word up the system. I know the guaranteed depth at the top sill of the 3rd lock at Jones Falls (lowest point in the system) is an immovable 5' if you draw 4'6" and come out of the lock other than barely moving your stern will kick down and Hit. Our home port is Kingston Marina in the inner Harbour and we see at least a dozen boats hauled every year due to the Jones falls sill. I am going to leave this thread alone now, my purpose was to give the OP (as a novice to the CDN canal system) an idea first hand of what is happening and the mood of Users over the last few years on the Rideau. Many thanks as always to you for your very sage advice that has helped me tremendously over the years. Cheers Ed

From Parks Canada web site:

Big Chute Marine Railway
The maximum size of vessel which can be transported on the carriage is as follows:

Vessel weight 90 tonnes (99.0 tons)

Length 30.3 m (100')

Beam 7.3 m (24')

James

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom