Hidden HIN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ag2318

Hi
Does anyone know where I might find the ‘hidden’ HIN on the 57 Tollycraft?

Thank you

The visible HIN on mine is just below the exterior rub rail and to starboard of the transom boarding gate.
I've heard this tale of a hidden location for a HIN, but after 15 years of ownership where I've been almost everywhere onboard, I've never found one, but I wasn't really looking for it either.

If you remove a drawer or two, say from below any of the berths, you will likely find on the bottom or back of the drawer, in black felt pen (likely put there by Tollycraft's cabinet shop) at least the numbers 57-0XX, which will be the sequential hull number.

Beyond that, I'm of no further help, but let me know should you actually find a Hidden HIN.

Only LEO knows where so when you sand off the transome HIN they can prove it is a stolen boat. :D

Actually when a suspected stolen boat is found without the exterior HIN LE will contact the manufacturer and ask where the secondary HIN is located so they can check it. I actually found it on a previous boat when I pulled the engines and found it underneath one of them. But the secondary location is up to the manufacturer as to where they put it.

On my Silverton Convertible, it was a 3X5 index card glassed to the inside of the transom.

It was almost covered up by a backing plate and smeared caulk when a swim platform as installed (not sure if factory or aftermarket).

I never saw one on my Taiwan Built trawler....not even sure they were done on some or any foreign built hull.

Actually when a suspected stolen boat is found without the exterior HIN LE will contact the manufacturer and ask where the secondary HIN is located so they can check it. I actually found it on a previous boat when I pulled the engines and found it underneath one of them. But the secondary location is up to the manufacturer as to where they put it.

That is my understanding as well which means that for boat mfg no longer in business that info is lost. Even in cases where a mfg has been bought out I doubt the info gets passed on and/ or retained.

Back
Top Bottom