Old 08-30-2020, 01:48 PM   #1
Guru

City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
Greenline 40: General Discussion

Now that we have a new, dedicated area for Greenline/Solar/Hybrid discussion, I thought I would start this thread with an eye toward aggregating Greenline 40 discussions that do not fit into any of the other thread categories. Hopefully, this will make it easier for those that might be doing research in the future. Not sure if this type of "organization" will work or not, but will try and see what happens.

2010 Greenline 33' Hull #54
Home port: Malmö, SWEDEN
Currently in: Gruissan, FRANCE
ScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 02:59 PM   #2

City: Mars
Vessel Name: TBD
Vessel Model: TBD
[Joins trawlerforum.com, finds Greenline 40 thread, plucks self down, looks around expectantly]

Hello, ScottC and crew. I'm a fan of low-impact boating and am considering, among other alternatives, the Greenline 40. I've researched, boarded, sea-trialed, and discussed this boat over the last two years or so.

As a person comfortable with the limitations of hybrid systems--I owned a Honda Insight (2nd gen, Prius style model) hybrid automobile for a number of years, and I get that they are different beasts than pure fossil fuel systems--the Greenline 40 Hybrid has emerged as one of my prime candidates.

So if there are other enthusiasts, or owners who wish to share their experiences, I hope they'll find this thread and choose to contribute. Thanks for hosting it!

rallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:00 AM   #3

City: FL
Vessel Name: Solaris
Vessel Model: Greenline 39
Hi Rallison,

Some thought that might be helpful:

We did shopping similar to you, and we looked for three years before we purchased. We went for the Greenline 39. My reasoning (will not be equal for everyone) were three fold. We liked the size and room of the 40. The 33 was a little small for our cruising needs. The 39 had half the engines, electric motors, lipo batteries. Less things to break, less maintenance. We felt the need for redundancy in diesel engines was negated somewhat by the electric motor. Still, one prop might be a problem if damaged far from home. Lastly, the layout, asymmetric cabin, and storage appealed to us. We feel less is sometimes more and the 39 fit our minimum requirements for comfortable cruising.

Our thoughts on Greenline 39 shortcomings: 1. Lack of ventilation in main cabin. It's a hot boat down here in FL! (We modified one sliding hatch to direct air down into boat and added three fans) 2. No cup holders or fishing rod holders. (we added a bunch) 3. More fresh water would be nice for extended cruising in the bahamas (we just added a 65 gal tank) 4. No provision for dingy (instead of davits we purchased a folding rib with torquedo electric drive which is stored folded in the aft lower cockpit storage. It keeps it out of the sun until we go on a cruise, then either towed or just left on the aft cockpit with transom down. No need to carry gasoline for dingy.) 5. No way to grill steaks/ seafood / chicken. (we got an electric smokeless grill, works great and no need to carry propane)

This hybrid system shines when cruising like we do: Sitting at anchor for 2-3 days and short distances between changes of anchorages. Last year we spent 6 weeks in the Exumas with zero use of diesel to charge, 4 gpm total fuel usage, one partial diesel fill, only one marina stop.

It works for us.

Solaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallison View Post
[Joins trawlerforum.com, finds Greenline 40 thread, plucks self down, looks around expectantly]

Hello, ScottC and crew. I'm a fan of low-impact boating and am considering, among other alternatives, the Greenline 40. I've researched, boarded, sea-trialed, and discussed this boat over the last two years or so.

As a person comfortable with the limitations of hybrid systems--I owned a Honda Insight (2nd gen, Prius style model) hybrid automobile for a number of years, and I get that they are different beasts than pure fossil fuel systems--the Greenline 40 Hybrid has emerged as one of my prime candidates.

So if there are other enthusiasts, or owners who wish to share their experiences, I hope they'll find this thread and choose to contribute. Thanks for hosting it!
Solaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 12:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
Hi Rallison,

[...] We liked the size and room of the 40. [...] the 39 fit our minimum requirements for comfortable cruising.

Our thoughts on Greenline 39 shortcomings: [...] 3. More fresh water would be nice for extended cruising in the bahamas (we just added a 65 gal tank) 4. No provision for dingy (instead of davits we purchased a folding rib with torquedo electric drive which is stored folded in the aft lower cockpit storage. It keeps it out of the sun until we go on a cruise, then either towed or just left on the aft cockpit with transom down. No need to carry gasoline for dingy.) 5. No way to grill steaks/ seafood / chicken. (we got an electric smokeless grill, works great and no need to carry propane)

This hybrid system shines when cruising like we do: Sitting at anchor for 2-3 days and short distances between changes of anchorages. Last year we spent 6 weeks in the Exumas with zero use of diesel to charge, 4 gpm total fuel usage, one partial diesel fill, only one marina stop.

[...]

Solaris
This is great to hear about. I've certainly looked at the 39, and cost/maintenance-wise agree it's a better deal, when all you're 'losing' compared to the 40 is some beam, the port side protected walkway, and some headroom in the guest stateroom. I share your concerns about tank sizes; if after year one of ownership I find it useful, I think I'd add a watermaker/water purifier to extend the independence. (Now if I can just manage not to fill the black water tank...) I heartily applaud your choice of dingy power and how you use/stow the RIB; glad to hear that's a functional, real-world choice, as it aligns with my thinking.

I'm particularly glad you included the note about how hybrid really works: Not so much to make your passage, but to let you putter around once you've arrived and to remain largely independent of marina infrastructure.

That's ideal for me, as I expect to spend 60+ days of the summer puttering on Georgian Bay, and a similar amount of time in the winter puttering about the Keys and/or Bahamas, for as many years as I have the health and strength to keep looping between them. After which I suppose mostly a live-aboard in a temperate area where short jaunts on electric power will still provide boating joys. Such stuff are dreams made of.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:05 AM   #5

Just a heads-up for those interested in the 40...

There's a new walk-around vid from Boat Tube up on YT; search there for "2020 Greenline 40 Hybrid Boat - Walkaround Tour - 2020 Boot Dusseldorf". The usual caveat for these vids: The music they overlaid may not be to everyone's taste--there's no narration so you may want to turn the volume down. But it's a relatively high-quality video once-over.

I paused it at one point to see & record the manufacturer's current claims for speed and distance; their placard shows:

TYPE | TOP SPEED | CRUISE SPEED | RANGE @ CRUISE
Diesel | 22kts | 17kts | 240nm
Hybrid Electric | 6.9kts | 4kts | 20nm
Electric | 8kts | 7kts | 40nm

So (in the EU at least) they're selling an electric only version, too.