Another WA boater crosses the line.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soin2la

Guru
I’m surprised no one posted this.
https://globalnews.ca/news/7369949/coronavirus-boater-fined-girlfriend/

9 months into this thing and there are still people who don’t get it, don’t care or think they are somehow immune or exempt.

Do hormones really overrule common sense?

And before you get all defensive and preach “over reaction,” this image is why it’s easy for some of us to get really angry:

Attachments

• BC vs WA.PNG
    BC vs WA.PNG
    12.1 KB · Views: 66
I’m surprised no one posted this.
https://globalnews.ca/news/7369949/coronavirus-boater-fined-girlfriend/

9 months into this thing and there are still people who don’t get it, don’t care or think they are somehow immune or exempt.

Do hormones really overrule common sense?

And before you get all defensive and preach “over reaction,” this image is why it’s easy for some of us to get really angry:

I do not agree with the boater, that was just stupid.

But also keep in mind that the population in
USA 328.24 M as of 2019
Canada 37.59 M as of 2019

So given the numbers you posted our total infection rate per % of population is not that far off from each other.

But also keep in mind that the population in
USA 328.24 M as of 2019
Canada 37.59 M as of 2019

So given the numbers you posted our total infection rate per % of population is not that far off from each other.

The topic is about a WA boater, not a US boater and the numbers compared WA, population 7.6M, to BC, population 5M.

Nice try, but it only exacerbates the disconnect.

The topic is about a WA boater, not a US boater and the numbers compared WA, population 7.6M, to BC, population 5M.

Nice try, but it only exacerbates the disconnect.

fair enough.

While I agree with the original post wholeheartedly I respectfully ask this type of post not be on TF. I get it but I go to this site to escape from the reality around me.

The restrictions are just stupid. While the boater was wrong from a customs point, I see absolutely no risk in picking up his GF.

We had just gone overboard with these Covid restrictions.

For the first time EVER, we have violated peoples basic rights, contracts, living choices, and freedom of movement and cause WAY more collateral damage that disease prevention.

Just an opinion...

Seevee
Remember, he didn't clear customs. Wrong thing to do virus or not. As usual, there is likely more to the story. A picture of the GF could well tip the scales of risk though. :D

For the first time EVER, we have violated peoples basic rights, contracts, living choices, and freedom of movement and cause WAY more collateral damage that disease prevention.

Just an opinion...

You should look closer at the Patriot Act, and what it did for basic rights, especially for those of us that live on their boats.

Certainly not the first time ever

Greetings,

Mr. V. Indeed! Ever get felt up at the airport?

Mr. S. Regarding basic rights: The current law in B.C. is NO recreational boats from outside Canada allowed. What is it specifically do you not understand? How much clearer can the regulations be made?
For citizens of BOTH countries, there has never been "freedom of movement" when entering a FOREIGN country. Border officials can deny entry for any number of reasons.

It was the wrong thing to do...

Didn't clear Customs, violated quarantining procedures. Bad boy. Probably a wonderful Canadian woman...

You asked if hormones overrule common sense? What a ridiculous question! Ask any teenager...

The restrictions are just stupid. We had just gone overboard with these Covid restrictions.
It is obvious we don't think alike and an overwhelming number of Canadians are happy, even adamant, the border restrictions remain, until...

Didn't clear Customs, violated quarantining procedures. Bad boy. Probably a wonderful Canadian woman...

You asked if hormones overrule common sense? What a ridiculous question! Ask any teenager...

Ya the boater was a party fowl, but probably no more damage done then the 100's of Canadian Truckers coming down to Seattle every day.

(Yes I am also married to a Canadian.) go figure..:dance:

You should look closer at the Patriot Act, and what it did for basic rights, especially for those of us that live on their boats.

Certainly not the first time ever

Ventana,

Yes, very good point and that was (is) a killer. Took a LOT of rights away and gave too much authority to idiots. But not enforces like this Covid stuff has, which affected just about even single person. And several, significantly.

Just a point to consider when thinking about "freedoms". First off, I passionately support the freedoms our (both countries) forefathers have fought and died for (still ongoing), and we are lucky enough to benefit from. However, my freedom to do something should not curtail another person's freedoms. My freedoms do not "trump" yours, or are not more important than yours. Other people's rights and freedoms (besides one's own) seem to be lost (often) in the debate about this unprecedented time and the restrictions we are being asked to endure. Often, but not always, the restrictions we are being asked to do "make sense" during a pandemic (at least to me), have been devised by medical "experts" most often not the politicians, and the lack of "common sense" in how many people have responded (eg. large gatherings like the motorcycle rally in SD) just defies logic. There was a report of a wedding held recently (sorry I forget where exactly) attended by about 60 people with no masks or social distancing (indoors). As a result of this wedding, 9 people died of the Covid-19 spread from this event. None of the dead (so far) actually attended the wedding! What about their "rights and freedoms" not to be infected and in essence "killed"?
In my mind, food for thought. A bit off topic of the Wa. boater, but......

Ya the boater was a party fowl, but probably no more damage done then the 100's of Canadian Truckers coming down to Seattle every day.

(Yes I am also married to a Canadian.) go figure..:dance:

RR
You raise an interesting point. There remains a huge complement of commercial trips per day between the two countries. I've heard numbers approaching a thousand + per day both ways. Recreational boaters are normally quite small in numbers comparatively.

A grandson manages a moving company in SoCal. He had made several cross border trips the past few months to deal with the normal paperwork occurring daily for truck crossings for Canadian and US crews.

International air traffic into and out of Canada remains active. Suggesting, hopefully, that come a change in relations between Trudeau and Washington boaters will become happy.

...but probably no more damage done then the 100's of Canadian Truckers coming down to Seattle every day./QUOTE]
Suggesting, hopefully, that come a change in relations between Trudeau and Washington boaters will become happy.
RonR and Sunchaser, comparing legal transport, delivering essential goods and services, contributing to both economies, with an illegal WA boater after a bit of nookie or the six recent US scofflaws, illegally off course enroute to AK, is just plain silly.

Secondly, the border closure, on Canada's part, is not a political, Trudeau vs DC issue. It is a health issue.

Just so you know, nonresidents of Atlantic Canada are treated just like foreigners and must follow COVID quarantine rules. The rest of Canada gets that and respects it. We ask that WA show BC the same respect.

It's so fargin simple, folks.

Sointula
Forget about that rascally lovelorn Washington boater for a moment. The simple fact is there are thousands of foreigners entering Canada legally every day. As a regular reader of Canadian press it is noteworthy that on a routine basis many COVID cases are found to have entered Canada.

The October 5th Toronto Sun has a decent tally of incoming Covid cases to Toronto. Also, there are numerous internal Canadian airlines cases per day involving Covid. These cases are the proverbial cost of doing business with no clamoring for shutting down the Canadian airlines. It seems the airlines and Ontario government have a good feel for what is taking place internationally and are tracking and dealing with these cases effectively.

Forget about that rascally lovelorn Washington boater for a moment.
I can't do that because this thread is about a WA boater who believes he does not have to abide by another country's laws, regardless of whether they are thought to be stupid laws, by some.
He entered the country illegally.
The simple fact is there are thousands of foreigners entering Canada legally every day.
Yes. Legally. What's your point and that's genuine curiosity not a flip remark.
It seems the airlines and Ontario government have a good feel for what is taking place internationally and are tracking and dealing with these cases effectively.
It matters not a whit what ON is doing. They could be at zero and we will still be dealing with restrictions as a country.
Perhps ON is dealing effectively, it is still extraneous to the topic and here's the flip part:

Attachments

• ON COVID.PNG
    ON COVID.PNG
    55 KB · Views: 25
In Canada covid 19 is non political except for Ontario and Quebec.
These provinces politicized covid response with slow to act, confusing and contradictory protocols. These provinces are having problems getting positive rates close to 1%.
In rest of provinces the Chief Medical Health Officer's are in charge. Politicians stay in the background and let medical experts do the talking and making decisions.
Canadians are generally feel safe, preferring our professional civil service to be in charge of covid 19 response.
In BC, covid response is lead by Chief Medical Health Officer, Dr. Henry. Her bi-weekly press conferences are much watched. https://youtu.be/NBSN-fCvbWs
(scroll up to 5 minutes to start video).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom