Old 03-27-2017, 07:58 AM   #1

City: Keystone Heights FL
Nordhavn 40 or 43

Im looking forward to purchasing a used Nordhavn 40 or 43. I can close ASAP Contact me if you have a well maintained one

Old 03-27-2017, 01:06 PM   #2

City: Keystone Heights FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mull View Post
Im looking forward to purchasing a used Nordhavn 40 or 43. I can close ASAP Contact me if you have a well maintained one
You can reach me at BillMull@yahoo.com

Old 03-28-2017, 07:43 AM   #3
LRC

City: St. Petersburg, FL
I just looked at a 40 in Stuart, Fl. It's in rough shape but salvageable. Could be a bargain.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:03 AM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:25 PM   #5
Guru

City: Port Angeles, WA
Vessel Name: Irene
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRC View Post
I just looked at a 40 in Stuart, Fl. It's in rough shape but salvageable. Could be a bargain.
Interesting, thanks for sharing.

It appears another 49, MIGRATOR, has been on the market for some time...I wonder about her condition as well.

Cheers,

Jeff
Old 03-28-2017, 09:35 PM   #6
Guru

City: West Coast
I have heard, anecdotally, that the market for quality used boats has become very tight. Given the number of years during which production was way down, and the pent up demand that is now being unleashed (for some, incomes and consumer confidence are at all time highs), it isn't surprising.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:51 PM   #7
Guru

I meant to say 40 (above), not 49. Sorry.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:53 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
I have heard, anecdotally, that the market for quality used boats has become very tight. Given the number of years during which production was way down, and the pent up demand that is now being unleashed (for some, incomes and consumer confidence are at all time highs), it isn't surprising.
We have been watching the smaller-size Nordhavn market closely here in the NW, and indeed it appears the good stock moves very quickly.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

City: Steamboat Springs CO.
@Bill.....

Have you walked aboard one of these boats....

We were in the market for a gold standard Nordhavn until we walked aboard a few in our size range and needless to say were less than impressed regardless of thier ocean crossing ability...In our minds for thier build quality that we saw and could feel vs. price we could not bring ourselves to buy one..

It was suggested to us that we walk aboard many different manufacturers of ocean capable trawlers...which we are in the process of doing...this has helped us to narrow down the boat builders that encompassed our version of luxury vs. capability.

Good luck with your search!

Ch
Old 04-02-2017, 05:47 PM   #10
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by man n black View Post
@Bill.....
It was suggested to us that we walk aboard many different manufacturers of ocean capable trawlers...which we are in the process of doing...this has helped us to narrow down the boat builders that encompassed our version of luxury vs. capability.
Out of curiosity which manufacturers are on your list?

Richard
Old 04-02-2017, 05:49 PM   #11
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Man n Black

In the low 40 foot range I'm aware of 3 builders that have proven blue water motor vessels. KK, Nordhavn and Diesel Duck. I'm hard pressed to come up with more on this very short list. What other proven blue water brands are you comparing too?
Old 04-02-2017, 11:21 PM   #12
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by man n black View Post
@Bill.....

Have you walked aboard one of these boats....

We were in the market for a gold standard Nordhavn until we walked aboard a few in our size range and needless to say were less than impressed regardless of thier ocean crossing ability...In our minds for thier build quality that we saw and could feel vs. price we could not bring ourselves to buy one..

Good luck with your search!

Ch
Interesting statement... what did you expect .. and what were you " less than impressed" with?. What do you refer to when you mention " gold standard" when you mention the Nordhavn ?.

When it comes to a true passagemaker a lot of the cost is in the details you dont see on the surface.

HOLLYWOOD
Old 04-02-2017, 11:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member

City: Steamboat Springs CO.
Im not saying Nordhavn isn't a great product. I'm saying it's not a great product for my family.

As for gold standard Nordhavn ARE the gold standard luxury passagemaker..

We were very put off by the lack of what we felt was luxury fittings, the all encompassing smell of adhesive (even on well used boats) and the cramped interior layouts compared to other boats in our chosen passagemaker size range (60-80ft)....

My post above was merely meant to open up the OP to getting on board many of these boats to decide if a Nordhavn is really for him/her....

Like I said we were dead set on putting Nordhavn on our short list because of thier proven capability and successful marketing....Now having actually stepped aboard several from brand new to well used, not only would we not pay a premium price for a Nordhavn (successful marketing) but we won't buy one at all...

Unfortunately that makes our list rather short. (as does wanting twins rather than a single with a wing)...however it also opened us up to looking at different manufacturers and we've since actually stepped aboard many (KK, OE, Bering, Horizon, DD, OR, Marlow, Fleming) and plan to step aboard a few more before making our choice (Drettman, Inace, Gulf Craft, CdM, and I'd really like to step aboard a modern Seaton or pre 2009 Northern Marine).

We are in fact flying to Europe tomorrow to get aboard a few that we are interested in.

Funny thing is...every time we've stepped aboard the other brands it reaffirms our personal feelings to NOT buy a Nordhavn product.

I equate it to offroad vehicles...Jeep Wranglers are awesome offroad, but so is a Range Rover Sport..you just gotta pick the right one for you.

Good luck with the search OP!

Ch
Old 04-03-2017, 03:57 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Sounds like someone got your bowels in a knot.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:45 AM   #15

look at selenes
Old 04-03-2017, 07:15 AM   #16
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
I can see where Mr. MnB is coming from perfectly. A Nordhavn is not in his future. We have been on board a number of N's and while I agree, they're fine vessels, they just don't appeal to us either. His choice as it is Mr. BM's to be actively looking for one.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:11 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
I can see where Mr. MnB is coming from perfectly. A Nordhavn is not in his future. We have been on board a number of N's and while I agree, they're fine vessels, they just don't appeal to us either. His choice as it is Mr. BM's to be actively looking for one.
The OP is looking for a 40 - 43 foot blue water vessel. The choices are pretty slim. Once you get to 80 feet there are a few more options. Man n Black is not necessarily looking for a blue water vessel. He is just merely looking for a vessel that doesn't have smellie glue.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:36 AM   #18
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Nordhavn 40 or 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
The OP is looking for a 40 - 43 foot blue water vessel. The choices are pretty slim. Once you get to 80 feet there are a few more options. Man n Black is not necessarily looking for a blue water vessel. He is just merely looking for a vessel that doesn't have smellie glue.

MnB makes sense to me. He is looking for a very large (in my mind 60-80' is very large) ocean capable boat. The Nordhavens didn't appeal to him once he actually stepped on board. Time to look at others, which he is doing.

Our OP Bill, didn't say how he wanted to use the boat, where he wanted to use it, or who would be using the boat. Those are all things that normally we suggest people pin down as they do boat shopping.

Maybe he is a long time cruiser who now wants to expand his horizons to do ocean crossings and has determined that the Nordhavens in that size range are perfect for his needs.

OTOH, maybe he is a novice who had heard that Nordhavens are the "best" with a proven track record and wants to go in that direction. If that is the case, MnB's question as to whether he has been on board one is important.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 04-03-2017, 09:54 AM   #19
Guru

City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Model: 24" El Pescador
Quote:
The OP is looking for a 40 - 43 foot blue water vessel.
I didn't see where he said "blue water".
I too started looking at the Nordhavns, KK, Selene boats as they are advertised, promoted and generally thought of as safest and "best of breed".

Then I looked & looked and compared pricing, value, amenities, etc and finally came around to realizing my mission was not to cross oceans but to comfortably & safely cruise near shore.
I decided I didn't need a Nordhavn or Krogen for that and this opened up a lot of other options.

Ken
Old 04-03-2017, 10:11 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdtx View Post
I didn't see where he said "blue water".
Ken

Gee, I guess I made the mistake of thinking that a 40 or 43 N is a blue water vessel. Nor did Mr. Mull the OP say he is looking for a trawler, boat or vessel. For those into parsing and obfuscation, I apologize very much.

Now, to the OP, call Larry Gieselman at 949 496 4848 (Nordhavn, Dana Point) and he will find you the Nordhavn 40 or 43 you are looking for. It may even be a blue water capable vessel with a faint odor of FRP and Philippine mahogany. If structural details are important of course.

Tags
nordhavn 40, nordhavn 43