Rotting wood on pilothouse door channels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Escape
Vessel Make
Mariner 37
I tracked the periodic water appearing in my bilge to wet, rotting wood along the hull inside the day head entrance to the engine room of my Mariner 37. The top end of this rotting board appears to have supported the aft end of the lower pilothouse door channel. There is a similar problem on the starboard door channel. The channel in which the bottom of the pilothouse doors ride ends an inch or so short of the first step up to the bridge, and the top of the rotting board appears to have no cover; that or mine are missing. What do you fellow Mariner 37 / Helmsman 38 owners have keeping the top of those boards protected?

Attachments

• IMG_7780.jpeg
    IMG_7780.jpeg
    80.5 KB · Views: 11
What about cleaning out good, drying for a few days with a small fan, then saturating with epoxy?

Last edited:
That is my strategy so far with Git-Rot as the epoxy for its penetrating properties. Just seems like an odd oversight on the manufacturer's part. I am hoping to learn that others have been down this path, or perhaps that they corrected this problem some time after hull #3 was built.

Back
Top Bottom