Resilient Has Landed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FWT

Guru
Vessel Name
Resilient
Vessel Make
Helmsman Trawlers 38E
My Helmsman 38E arrived in Norfolk and was off-loaded from the ship on Wednesday 6/28/2023. In some important respects, this marks her birthday.

Several years ago as I was in the early stages of selecting a boat to have built, then pondering the build specifications, an epic thread of 1000+ posts was begun by forum member N4061 on his order, and then his experiences with his H38. As a prospective owner myself I found great value in the comments and observations from John as well as the other forum members who chipped in along the way.

For a while, what has been on my mind has been the possible value of posting some comments about the boat. The idea is just a "pay it forward" goal. I have no ambitions to become a YouTube star or anything similar. The goal is no more than to point out some things other prospective owners may find useful, from the eyes of another new owner.

So here goes.

I am not yet retired, but am on the final countdown. The non-boating part of life remains intrusive to the boating life. My time to add to this thread will come in stages, and my time spent on the boat will come in chunks of time. This thread, if I keep it going, will develop over time.

Congrats on your new baby. How about some photos?

My H38E is hull number 38055. We named her Resilient.

Boat names seem to be one of three types:

1) Named after a woman in your life. I offered to name it after my wife, but she instantly declined. That's fine. We all have our own preferences on such things.

2) Named after a character trait. Endurance, Independence, Bounty, etc.

3) Something cute and / or funny.

#1 was out immediately. #3 just isn't my strong suit.

That left #2. We began making lists of ideas, good and bad, and maintaining a top 3-5 of those atop the leaderboard.

One day my wife came up with Resilient, and it was an instant hit with me. From that day forward it was easily the top name against which others would be measured, but nothing else came close for me. Sometimes you just know.

Pretty much everything in my personal life experience has required a healthy dose of personal resilience. Life delivers a full share of bumps and knocks to each of us. Seeing the challenges through to a successful conclusion is up to us. It takes some resilience.

What does that detail have to do with observations about the H38? It fits the design and build quality, and as well it fits life experience.

Some Greek or Roman philosopher once said the most important question in life was a question you will be asking until the end of life. "What do you want?" That question is the number one question we grappled with as we began our boat search.

There are MANY fine boat designs out there. Each has its strengths and weaknesses, built around different mission concepts. Folks here know that. Then, one can elect a new build route, or a search for a used boat. Each has its place. We took our time asking the question, but also mindful of the passage of time. This was a mission to end with a boat we owned, not to engage in a perpetual shopping expedition mind game of sorts. Every day that passes we are day older. We took our time, and enough time for us, but progressed toward a final decision.

What did we want? How did that shape the final decision?

What I wanted was a coastal cruiser, to cruise the east coast Maine to Florida and hopefully over to the Bahamas. A trip up into the Great Lakes would be terrific. I have no big ambitions to do The Loop, but a boat capable of that would be a plus, in case I change my mind. I am soon to retire. I doubt I will have time to hit every one of those destinations, but I wanted the right boat for them.

Forum members well know there are three basic hull forms but those new to boating may not. If you don't understand the differences, take the time to learn. Neither is inherently "the best", just different. You have to choose.

The H38 is a semi-displacement hull form. It will cruise, efficiently and comfortably, faster than a full displacement hull, but not as fast as a planning hull. Fuel burn and inherent hull stability differ from other types. I embraced the concept of life at 7-8 knots and semi-displacement. The hull form has more inherent stability than a full displacement boat, reducing or eliminating the NEED for stabilizers, which eliminates another piece of gear to buy and maintain. Some have chosen to include stabilizers, and for their mission and home waters their choice has made sense to me. I'm not knocking that, at all, but just know that my home waters of the Chesapeake, or in trips down the ICW there is less or no need, provided I have the right boat.

For us, it's as much about enjoying the trip as it is the destination. Getting there at the fastest speed possible isn't the goal.

Helmsman Trawlers has a video discussing hull form on its website. Its pretty good. Listen carefully to it, and hunt down others as well. Think this through. Hull form will shape a lot of your usage experience. Ask "what do you WANT?"

Spend time on the water and we all will find ourselves in conditions we would rather not be in if given the choice. Surprises. But there you are, and deal with it. A top checklist item for me was a boat under my feet that was sturdy and capable. One of my least favorite boating phrases is "the boat can handle more than I can." To me, that describes a boat that will beat the stuffing out of you when conditions deteriorate past perfection. The goal for me was a boat that was reasonable when operating in unreasonable conditions.

I wanted a boat that would be resilient, long before the name was selected. I picked an H38.

I'll probably have more on this later, I suspect.

Last edited:
Congrats on your new baby. How about some photos?

I will in due time. So far my focus has been on the boat and not on taking pictures of her, or organizing the quick shots I do have.

What features did you add, to make it YOUR boat?
Enjoy!!!

Here is one quick shot taken the day after her birthday, as we made a two day trip up the Chesapeake to her home marina.

White hull is my personal preference. My wife selected navy blue for the boot and accent stripes.

Attachments

• IMG_3204.jpeg
    IMG_3204.jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
What features did you add, to make it YOUR boat?
Enjoy!!!

I will definitely address this in a later post. It takes some time as you begin to discuss the "why" of the choice.

What specifications did we order, and why did we order it?

As I mentioned above, I went with a white hull. I just prefer it. Its traditional. I like the colors I've seen too, but just prefer the white on mine. My wife picked the boot strip color, which is navy blue

How you plan to use the boat, what you like and don't like, are all pretty personal choices. For us, this is primarily a boat for the two of us, with an occasional guest / couple overnight, but not often. The H38 has one sleeping cabin and cannot be converted to a two cabin boat. For two cabins you go up to a H43, or down to a H37 (now H38 Sedan). One cabin is fine for us.

Just to complete that thought, the L shaped settee does convert to a queen sized bed. With the adjacent day head its essentially its own cabin but without a door.

In the pilothouse the settee there can be optioned to convert to a single bed or double. We optioned for a single. This is one of those things I question whether we will ever use, but we have it just in case. This involves a drop leaf against the bulkhead of the chart station just forward of the port side pilothouse door. In my brief use of the boat so far the drop leaf is not in anyone's way at all, so having it becomes all upside at a modest cost.

As folks probably know, there are two principle layouts being selected by owners. There is the "island" layout of the galley shown in the Helmsman website. Then there is an alternative some are going with that has one long galley countertop from the fridge to the rear bulkhead, and wrapping the corner to end at the cockpit door. Some like the open aspect of the long galley. I preferred the island arrangement.

Why? 1) We wanted to preserve the spot for a comfortable chair in the "nook" as we are calling it, between the island and rear bulkhead. 2) When underway in even slight seas you want natural handholds even if just to steady yourself as you walk from fore to aft or vice versa. It is a natural thing to leave the cockpit with one hand on the door frame, then with a step reach for the island, then with another step reach for the cabinet on the centerline or the stair railing. Some have chosen to option a handrail along the ceiling of the salon. I am 5'10" and "can" reach there but not comfortably. My wife is 5' even and that would do nothing to help her. 3) I just like the way it looks.

One galley thing we did option that had been done before, as I found when I inquired, was to add a drop leaf at the end of the island for additional work or serving space. My wife wanted this, and it was an easy and cheap addition. We will find out in time whether this is necessary. In the briefest of use of the boat so far, probably not needed. There is plenty of counter space to cook without it.

You can option several different galley sink options. I went with one single sink. I wondered until the day I saw it in person whether it would be large enough. It is. Need to wash a large soup pot? Big enough.

We went with an all electric galley. A microwave convection oven mounted in the cabinet under the stovetop. An induction 2 burner stovetop. More on the why of this in just a bit. The induction choice was a first for us. We have no experience with that. When things settled down a bit I tested it by just boiling some water in a medium sized pot of the size one might heat up a can of vegetables or soup. The water boiled in 3.5 minutes. I timed it. That's fast. No way could I do that on my home propane cooktop. It throws off zero heat into the galley.

The standard engine is a Cummins QSB 6.7 250hp diesel. I optioned up to get a 380hp. This deserves some comment.

We (Me, Scott Helker, and Roger Drill) took the boat on a two day trip up the Chesapeake to my home marina where commissioning was completed. For two days we ran at speeds that would be well within the capacity of the 250hp engine. On the second day we had a time gun to our head to arrive in time for a brief haul out to attach the swim platform so we raised the operating RPM to about 2200 and made good time. We had the fuel aboard to do it, and it was extra money well spent given all circumstances.

To see, feel, and understand how the boat feels at WOT, and to stress the engine just a bit, I asked that we run for just a few minutes at WOT. The engine ran fine. What it confirmed for me was my decision before the order was made to enjoy life at 7-8 knots. We were bucking a tide of roughly 1 knot on the nose but were touching about 11 or so at WOT. The bow rises some, the engine noise rises, and frankly for my personal taste its just not as serene and enjoyable. The boat can do it, and more. I just don't want to. I'm happy with my 7-8 choice.

On the other hand, there are some long runs we may well make where higher speeds get you where you want to go in one long day. The coastline of NJ provides few inlets, and some sprinting may become advisable at some point. Bumping my engine size to 380hp is insurance for that possible need / desire. I hope not to need it, but I have it. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Why 380, and not a bit less or a bit more? Not a lot of magic there. 380 seems to be the most popular choice, so I went with that sort of by default. Come resale time, maybe it helps, maybe not.

On the Chesapeake and points south (unlike PNW or further northeast) air conditioning is quite simply a must. So that entails a HVAC system that provides AC in summer and heat in winter. To run it you need to either be on shore power at a marina, or otherwise on a generator on the hook or underway. Helmsman installs two units providing two zones (sleeping cabin, and then the pilothouse and salon). They work really well. I was too aggressive in the temp setting in the cabin for the one night slept aboard at this point, as we traveled up the Chesapeake, and froze to death. Too tired to get up and adjust it!

With a generator aboard anyway, it was an easy call to eliminate a fuel, propane, and go all electric in the galley.

Having done that, I am eliminating gasoline by using an ePropulsion engine on my dingy. My boat has diesel fuel aboard only.

For the generator we went Northern Lights, 6kw.

Other Helmsman owners have asked our choices on countertops and leather. We went with Creamy Marfil on the countertops, and #8 on the leather. We are happy with it. The Marfil gave us what we wanted, which was some amount of swirl in the pattern without going overboard, and to my eye its just what we sought. We optioned to have the small backsplashes.

On the center cabinet and cabinet beside the day head some want the teak and others the Caesarstone. We went Caesarstone, with teak fiddles on the edges.

Sleep cabin cabinets have evolved over the years as different owners have sought some different arrangements. Frankly, I really liked the arrangement in the most recent promo videos. In real life I'm even more happy.

Helmsman can do a lot of cabinet customization for you. We didn't stress them at all. I liked the standard island, and standard sleeping cabin. I liked it a lot. No changes other than the addition of the drop leaf in the galley. And I'm still happy with it in our scant use so far.

In earlier days a hobby of mine was making furniture. Generally mahogany queen anne traditional pieces. The finish matters a lot in the final product. I have to say I am flat out plumb tickled with the quality of the woodwork and finishing of the interior wood surfaces. I can be pretty picky about that. It drives my wife nuts when we shop furniture. I can't yet say I've studied every square inch yet, but I have yet to find a single flaw. The quality of the finish work is excellent.

We did option additional handholds in two spots, at my wife's request and strong agreement from me when she suggested them. 1) You will find that someone will often be standing at the chart table on the port side, beside the door. Just below the chart table edge we had installed a teak handhold. I am extremely glad we did. Execution of that was excellent, and I found myself holding it regularly. I highly recommend that. 2) My wife is always concerned about emergency exits, and in this case through the sleeping cabin hatch up to the deck. She wanted something to hold onto as one hoists oneself up. In my case, coming from a sailing background, I'm used to needing / wanting handholds on the foredeck in seas. In seas if you want to "bail out" and park your tail on the cabin top for a moment you need something to hold onto. Bottom line is we had Helmsman install two handhold rails running fore and aft beside the hatch on cabin trunk. Others may not see the need. We wanted it and I'm happy with the result.

A core checklist need for me was to carry the dingy up top. We optioned the Jackson davit crane, mounted on the port side. The dingy isn't on yet so its not yet been used.

A radar mast was the original design, but many have migrated to a radar arch. We did too. Happy I did. It opens up the flybridge area. We optioned deck lights be installed on the arch.

That arch is substantial. I have not tried to lower and raise it, but load it up with radar and other gear and its not a minor thing to do. Being able to fold it down makes the boat capable of The Loop. I would not want to get involved in lowering it on a daily / regular basis. Its a job for two men. Helmsman says you can organize some rigging to assist. My plan and hope is to leave it alone.

There are two main flybridge layouts. A U shaped settee with one pilot seat to starboard is one. The second is an L shaped settee, pilot seat centered and a co-pilot seat to starboard. I was fine with either arrangement and left the decision to my wife. She wanted a seat next to me, and so we have the L shaped settee with two pilot seats. I have not operated from there yet, but the seating is pretty comfortable in my brief sitting.

Speaking of seating, the salon seating looks like it can be comfortable or hard. Its comfortable! If you slouch down you will want a throw pillow behind you, but I'm pretty happy with it.

My wife and I differ on one habit. When she isn't around the TV is rarely touched. When she is around it is on constantly. She is nuts about watching movies. We optioned the TV cabinet that drops down in the salon. My wife also wonders if we might prefer mounting it on the bulkhead above the door to the day head. I am doubtful the bulkhead mount will be preferable, but either way I bought her options for either and we can take our time to decide. We also optioned the drop down cabinet in the sleeping cabin, in case we want to just lounge and prop up comfy in bed and watch. There are few pics around of that option and I didn't understand it until Scott shared a pic with me. I'll post a pic or two once I've taken them. Before it was better explained I just pictured something that would be too intrusive when not in use. It isn't.

As I said, my wife is short. The bulkhead mirror in the head of the sleeping quarters is normally mounted higher than useful for my wife. We had Helmsman lower it. I'm really happy with that. I can't imagine it being higher.

I wanted a Vulcan anchor. Helmsman credits back money if you provide your own. I won't go deep on this aspect yet. Suffice to say I had qualms about how well it would fit. It does. Just fine.

Swim platform staple rails are an option. We have them. I like them. Pretty sturdy, and pretty. Looking aft when docking they also tell you where the back edge of your swim platform is, a handy plus.

There is a storage area under the forward berth. We optioned gas struts to help raise the bed platform when needed. Really happy with that.

This is a retirement boat. I have to expect that with each passing year I'll be less limber. In the aft machinery area below deck below the salon, its a pretty giant step up to the salon. Or you can scootch up to sit on the edge on the floor and stand up from sitting on the floor. Both are hard options for old bones. I optioned a short one step ladder in that spot, similar to the standard ladder to the engine compartment below the pilothouse. Really happy with that. It turns something hard into something easy.

Under counter lights, below the cabinets, in the galley and sleeping cabin are options. We got both. Beautiful at night. Great nightlights too.

Its an option to get a bar that becomes a combo handrail and towel bar in the day head. Its located on the bulkhead that backs to the engine room, opposite the head. We got it. I recommend it. Some also get a higher bar to serve as a closet rod to hang wet foul weather gear. We didn't.

Some later boats have optioned a fold-down drop leaf table in the cockpit. I initially didn't think I wanted it but changed my mind. I had one made a bit longer as measured fore and aft than some other folks. I'll be putting an electric grill on it at times, I already have the grill, and had it built to a size sufficient for that use. With an outdoor GFI plug next to it.

When I started this post I didn't expect to be of epic length. Sorry about that! If I think of an additional item later, I'll add it.

As soon as I hit "post", it occurred to me I didn't mention two important things.

We optioned side doors in the cockpit. And we optioned the doors on the side decks.

I am very happy with all of that. Really happy.

One thing you may not notice unless you look for it, is this gives you three different door threshold heights to choose from. The swim platform is the lowest. The side cockpit doors are materially higher. The side deck doors are materially higher yet. Depending on the dock you are at for the moment, one or another will give you comfortable access.

I expected to be using the swim platform access the most. In my brief use thus far I'm using it the least. Because of dock height at my home marina.

This may not be a big issue for you. For nervous non-boating guests, especially older ones, it might be a big deal.

As soon as I hit "post", it occurred to me I didn't mention two important things.

We optioned side doors in the cockpit. And we optioned the doors on the side decks.

One thing you may not notice unless you look for it, is this gives you three different door threshold heights to choose from. The swim platform is the lowest. The side cockpit doors are materially higher. The side deck doors are materially higher yet. Depending on the dock you are at for the moment, one or another will give you comfortable access.

I expected to be using the swim platform access the most. In my brief use thus far I'm using it the least. Because of dock height at my home marina.

This may not be a big issue for you. For nervous non-boating guests, especially older ones, it might be a big deal.

Having a choice of boarding heights sounds like a really useful thing. I kinda wish I had that, but unfortunately my boat is of a layout that doesn't really give good options there.

Having a choice of boarding heights sounds like a really useful thing. I kinda wish I had that, but unfortunately my boat is of a layout that doesn't really give good options there.

Yes indeed. In short order I'm seeing that value.

On the Chesapeake there are a lot of fixed piers, and they tend to be taller than most floating piers. Swim platform only boarding could be challenging in some places for folks with less agility. The dock in the pic above was a fixed dock and we just naturally gravitated to using the side deck doors, and it was a very comfortable height.

This boat has been built for something like 20 years if you include the Mariner years. Helmsman has continued to evolve and improve it. The side deck doors were added as an option just a few years ago, and its a great example of the refinement process.

On the Chesapeake there are a lot of fixed piers, and they tend to be taller than most floating piers. Swim platform only boarding could be challenging in some places for folks with less agility. The dock in the pic above was a fixed dock and we just naturally gravitated to using the side deck doors, and it was a very comfortable height.

This boat has been built for something like 20 years if you include the Mariner years. Helmsman has continued to evolve and improve it. The side deck doors were added as an option just a few years ago, and its a great example of the refinement process.

It definitely seems like Helmsman pays a lot of attention to where improvements can be made on their boats. Even without owning one, it's refreshing to see a builder reacting to customer preferences instead of just building what they want and saying that it's the cool new thing everyone needs.

On my boat, it's low docks that are the biggest pain. We're set up for side deck boarding only (~4 feet above the water). Having swim platform boarding as an option would be nice. Technically we can do it, but it requires ducking under the dinghy in davits and then climbing up a ladder, so it's easier to just put a step stool on the dock when needed.

Willard 36 has only a single hull gate to starboard. One of the changes I made was to add a port gate. Was immediately useful as my first slip assignment had me portside-to.

Personally, more gates the better. Not really an option.

Thanks for the great write-up. Enjoyable to peek into your thinking.

Peter
View attachment 140357

Last edited:
The target audience of this thread being folks having a boat built or considering it, I'm going to jump ahead to an aspect the Helmsman owners ask about and chat about between themselves during the build process. So this post is about setting some expectations, and what is normal.

At the front end of the build process Scott mentioned this to me. Its sort of an in-one ear issue until you live it.

Helmsman follows an excellent process. A signed contract and initial payment buys you a slot in the build schedule. Order flow has been sufficiently good that it may well be some months before your build begins in the mold. They reach out periodically and keep you posted on when your boat should begin. Then you have a very good day when you get word yours has begun.

Shortly after that, what begins is a periodic email with links to pictures of your build, that come roughly every 2-3 weeks. In the early days there is a lot to see, a lot of VISIBLE progress to follow. Anyone curious about the construction process will find a lot to take notice of.

Once the cabin structure is on, the build of the interior bulkhead walls and then the cabinetry begins. Still lots to see with each new batch of pictures, but "new" things to see begins to slow down.

But then, you hit an extended period of time where there is little VISIBLE progress. With cabinetry in what comes next is the finish work. You will receive batch after batch of pics where the only thing you see is parts of cabinetry masked off while other sections are being finished. I mentioned how well the finish work is. Well, that involves a lot of coats, and light sanding between each one. It takes time, and lots of it. It takes care and attention, and lots of it. So there is an extended passage of time and batches of pics where someone unfamiliar with what goes into finish work can feel like there is no progress on their boat. Do not fret. The time they are taking with the finish work is one of the things that make this feature of the boat so stunning.

I was told in advance. I was warned in advance. It still shocked me. Suddenly one day a batch of pics will arrive that show the beginnings of installation of gear, and a number of workers aboard doing it. Hooray!

The next batch of pictures you will see is your completed boat. Workers doing the very final tasks.

You go from nothing being visibly done, and seemingly a ton left to be done, to a completed boat in maybe a month. That's not checking a calendar, but its close enough.

And in that period is communication of some target shipping dates. The dates can still move a little bit until its aboard a ship, but now you have some finality to the build.

Helmsman communicates very well throughout this process, when there is actually something to communicate.

I can lay out these expectations, but I assure you that you will feel some anxiety that nothing is happening for an extended period that you can see. At the end you will feel like you are many months away from completion when in reality it may well be weeks or a month away. That's normal. I can say expect it, and I was told to expect it, but its still something of a shock to see it unfold on your own boat.

Trust the process. Its a good one, and it serves to result in a great boat.

It seems like the last many batches of our build photos were wood work. In the last few the wood has been covered and I see an occasional wire dangling. I think we may be in the home stretch. We haven’t asked about a delivery date figuring it would get here when it does. But the excitement is building…

Stoked that yours is here. And really enjoying your posts.

It definitely seems like Helmsman pays a lot of attention to where improvements can be made on their boats. Even without owning one, it's refreshing to see a builder reacting to customer preferences instead of just building what they want and saying that it's the cool new thing everyone needs.

What you hit on was something I wanted to address at some point, and may well think of a better way to say it later. But since you brought it up I want to respond now.

Dealing with big companies or small, what you are dealing with are PEOPLE. People with their own sets of values and habits.

I am not going to remember exactly what the gear topic was but I was truly shocked in a delightful way early in my build process. At this point I had a signed contract, fixed price.

I had some question about systems gear and reached out to Scott. It was probably the result of some gear debate on this forum, which of course is a key strength of this site. Helmsman does a great job in the website of laying out the systems. So whatever my question was, Scott responded with a chuckle that MY boat would not have the gear / system still up on the website. He had decided there was a better but more expensive way to go about it and just made the decision to upgrade the build specs. Because it was the right thing to do for a better boat.

That was a WOW moment.

I am not going to try to reconstruct the changes made in the course of the build, but in the end it was more than one.

You are dealing with people. Scott is an engineer by background and training with a keen eye toward gear and systems that are solid and worth it. My experience was that when he sees value in a change, he makes it.

Let me flip this around and view it from a different angle. I bought into and contracted for a boat with a set of specs, but what was delivered to me was a better boat. How often do you see that?

Look, I don't speak for Helmsman and I am not even hinting you have some right to expect free upgrades. Ideas of how to improve things tend to germinate in all of us as we ponder changes. Vendors come up with upgrade models in a lumpy sort of way. Vendors go from reliable to unreliable. Yours may not be different than the website and contract specs because no upgrade opportunities and ideas come along during the timeline of your boat.

What I am saying instead is that a desire to deliver a solid boat is there. My personal take is that this isn't a company trying to cheap out a boat with downgrades, but instead deliver better and better boats. Put some trust in that. In my experience they more than earned the trust.

Willard 36 has only a single hull gate to starboard. One of the changes I made was to add a port gate. Was immediately useful as my first slip assignment had me portside-to.

Personally, more gates the better. Not really an option.

Thanks for the great write-up. Enjoyable to peek into your thinking.

Peter
View attachment 140357

I totally agree.

The single gate to the swim platform is in the base price. Side gates to the cockpit and to the side deck are options. I went for those options without batting an eye, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

It seems like the last many batches of our build photos were wood work. In the last few the wood has been covered and I see an occasional wire dangling. I think we may be in the home stretch. We haven’t asked about a delivery date figuring it would get here when it does. But the excitement is building…

Stoked that yours is here. And really enjoying your posts.

Thanks!

Yep, I do remember those days like they were yesterday. It only gets better.

Scott can probably provide a wild guess on shipping. Just know it can only be a wild guess. I'll probably address the delivery schedule at some point, and the point of that is how little of it is controllable by Helmsman.

@FWT: Great posts; thanks for taking the time.

Yes, varying heights for dock access can be a big deal. We have two: over the cockpit sides, or from the swim platform. We're finding that neither of those are great all the time. Boarding access right in the middle would be nice. (Last boat, cockpit gun'les weren't so tall, so it was usually better from either. This one, not so much.)

And speaking of those pesky fixed docks on the Chesapeake... we're in Crisfield as I type this, Somers Cover Marina, pretty nice, but they only have a couple floating piers... and the T-head on the main floating pier (G) they use for transients was full. Musical docking ensued.

They originally had us on their fixed E pier T-head, but it turned out the outside piles and they're face boards had us standing about 2' off the pier, even when tight on our rub rails... and at mid-tide, we couldn't actually get on or off the boat. High tide, we might have been able to use the swim platform. Low tide, maybe the gun'les. Either way would have still been a 2' leap across, even more if we'd been fendered up. Would have been great to also have a third level option, though.

Plan B. We moved to their other floating pier, normally used for locals, contract rates, etc. Good, except that pier is so far away from the marina office, it felt like we were almost in Virginia somewhere... (There was also a minor issue with one of the 50A breakers... and some smoke... but we just used the other pedestal outlet, and they got all over fixing the first one pretty quickly.)

Plan C. The next day, one of the boats on their G pier left... and we moved back into "town." Ahhh.....

And the marina folks here are very nice, very accommodating!

-Chris

Chris:

Ah, Crisfield. I have not been there in some years, but there was a time I was there often on business. I've had my share of drinks overlooking the marina, but I've never taken a boat in there, YET. That's good info to know.

Yeah, its huge.

And as a fishing village every man woman and child there grew up on the water and boats. Its generational. Part of the gene pool. When they speak, I listen.

Great people, many of them "characters." The stories they tell on themselves and others can be hilarious. I have always liked the place.

Back to docks. I am coming back to boating after decades of doing it, then decades of not doing it. Back when I was boating it happened often enough to me that I learned it pays to have some LONG docklines aboard. I found I could be in a slip where I needed some length in lines, especially springlines. Folks who are accustomed to an expectation of floating docks and tightly spaced cleat options can't get it unless they see it.

And it pays to have some fender options to deal with the issue you cited, of dock pilings that stick out WAY past the edge of the dock. Fender boards, big balls, or something. None of which will solve the access problem, but are needed to protect the boat.

Its probably getting into high season for crabs and soft crabs, so I hope you get your fill.

Doors became a focus. I'll just mention something quickly.

The H38, 43 and most others have pilothouse doors at the helm, and generally port and starboard.

It's an obvious point to most regulars on this site, but maybe not to new shoppers. The value of that door access cannot be overstated. Its a crucial feature. Anytime you need a clear view aft, you can just step outside and look back.

I see some boat ads and reviews where there is either no door, or the door is some steps away from the helm. Generally speaking these tend to be on go-fast euro styled boats where a door would interfere with the looks.

On smaller boats the sight lines will naturally be different.

On the H38, at 38 feet length on deck and pushing 41 feet overall, being able to step out and look back isn't a luxury, its a necessity.

We have some damned salty folks on this board, and someone here may well not have this, but have the experience to deal with a lack of this just fine.

Me, on a brand new boat, I can't imagine being OK without it.

But that's just me.

Your posts perfectly describe the order-build-delivery process. It would have been great to have had your observations when we were in the pipeline. It would make a great document for Helmsman buyers and prospective buyers.

When we went aboard a 38E for the first time, Scott assured us that each boat is better than its predecessor. We certainly found that to be true. Supply chain issues caused the change to Raritan Elegance heads and the stainless single table pedestals. We look forward to seeing newer boats at next year’s rendezvous and the improvements they will have.

You went with most of the options we chose with a few exceptions.We went with the standard 250 HP engine. Now that a fuel pressure issue has been resolved, we’re very satisfied with how it performs. We elected to put our lightweight dinghy on the swim step and are using the boat deck for kayaks, bikes and lounging. We like how quickly and easily we can get the dinghy in and out of the water. We keep it locked in the snap davits for boarding and exiting the dinghy. The dinghy stays put until we’re ready to cast off or climb back aboard the mother ship.

FWT, thanks for the ‘ride along’
I think you will enjoy the Cummins 380. Rushing the weather or a bridge opening or a tidal change.
I look forward to your pictures of your build.
You may find the need for one or two handholds. I added more to my AT, never giving it much thought on height. Turns out, it was a perfect placement. The only thing I would do differently is to add some light or medium knurl to each of the handholds.
How long between ordering to arrival of your boat?

Last edited:
Your posts perfectly describe the order-build-delivery process. It would have been great to have had your observations when we were in the pipeline. It would make a great document for Helmsman buyers and prospective buyers.

When we went aboard a 38E for the first time, Scott assured us that each boat is better than its predecessor. We certainly found that to be true. Supply chain issues caused the change to Raritan Elegance heads and the stainless single table pedestals. We look forward to seeing newer boats at next year’s rendezvous and the improvements they will have.

You went with most of the options we chose with a few exceptions.We went with the standard 250 HP engine. Now that a fuel pressure issue has been resolved, we’re very satisfied with how it performs. We elected to put our lightweight dinghy on the swim step and are using the boat deck for kayaks, bikes and lounging. We like how quickly and easily we can get the dinghy in and out of the water. We keep it locked in the snap davits for boarding and exiting the dinghy. The dinghy stays put until we’re ready to cast off or climb back aboard the mother ship.

Doug:

I can't begin to say how happy ALL Helmsman owners are you reached a good ending on your Cummins engine issues. We all were holding our breath. We knew a good ending would come, but just what?

Thank heavens you had a builder with some pull to get you HQ attention and priority when the lower levels began to falter a bit.

There is no bullet proof engine brand. None. The QSB is as reliable as any out there, or so it seems, but even a small probablity problem hits someone, somewhere, at some time. You hit the problem lotto. Condolences.

Yeah, as I said, with only two days of experience on the water the 250 would be plenty for my preferred 7-8 knots. I bought insurance for more that I will rarely use. Sticking with 250 isn't a bad choice by any stretch.

Dingy options of every sort, from the dingy selection to how you carry it, is so very personal and so dependent on your docking options. If ever there was a "no single right way" issue, that would be it. Its possible I spent more time on dingy stuff than anything else, and I still don't have it on the boat yet so its possible there is more time and adjustment yet ahead.

You had some trip and use plans ahead. Keep us posted. I'll be looking for it.

Limited view aft can be assisted with a camera as well if stepping away from the helm isn't easy or desired. I may eventually add a rear camera. I normally have a great view aft, but if it's raining and we have the canvas up, that view becomes pretty minimal. The admiral is always nervous about me backing into our slip with the canvas up, as there's not a lot of extra width before hitting the dinghy or part of the boat on the dock or a piling.

Long dock lines are always good to have. We carry 25, 35, and 50 foot lines aboard. And a couple of times I've needed almost every inch of a 50 footer to get a tie-up I was happy with due to less than ideal placement of cleats or other things to tie to. This is on a boat almost identical in overall size to an H38 (slightly longer once our davits are factored in).

FWT, thanks for the ‘ride along’
I think you will enjoy the Cummins 380. Rushing the weather or a bridge opening or a tidal change.
I look forward to your pictures of your build.
You may find the need for one or two handholds. I added more to my AT, never giving it much thought on height. Turns out, it was a perfect placement. The only thing I would do differently is to add some light or medium knurl to each of the handholds.

I really like the AT's. Just from internet stuff, and never had the chance to step aboard one. If Helmsman didn't exist I'd have pushed to dig deeper on AT's. At the very least I'd be curious how they ship those boats east.

The pics will come in time. I expected I'd have taken more by now. But once the boat arrives it becomes an intense flurry of tasks and learning about the boat. Taking pics wasn't anywhere near my thoughts.

I also have another batch of excuses. We have not really put things into apple pie order on the interior or exterior yet. At least not into show-boat order I'd want posted until the end of time. No name applied to it yet, no canvas. My electronics install begins tomorrow. I've not even had time to give it a good bath (though it arrived off the ship pretty darned spotless.)

Limited view aft can be assisted with a camera as well if stepping away from the helm isn't easy or desired. I may eventually add a rear camera. I normally have a great view aft, but if it's raining and we have the canvas up, that view becomes pretty minimal. The admiral is always nervous about me backing into our slip with the canvas up, as there's not a lot of extra width before hitting the dinghy or part of the boat on the dock or a piling.

Long dock lines are always good to have. We carry 25, 35, and 50 foot lines aboard. And a couple of times I've needed almost every inch of a 50 footer to get a tie-up I was happy with due to less than ideal placement of cleats or other things to tie to. This is on a boat almost identical in overall size to an H38 (slightly longer once our davits are factored in).

Electronics install begins tomorrow.

One thing I spec'ed was a backup camera. Having only a few days of practice docking under my belt, I want that crutch.

The other crutch I am looking forward to is a rudder position indicator that comes with autopilot. The wheel is 6 turns from lock to lock, and as a newbie on this boat I found times when I lost track of where it was.

I'll post something on docking much later. My personal standards on docking proficiency are much higher than today's personal reality with scant experience on this boat in these early days. I want more experience under my belt, time to try a few things, and time with the new crutches before I begin to make comments that are less than well-informed.

As an additional preview of coming attractions, a part of this involves a translation or conversion from sailboat docking to H38 docking that entails some things that I didn't absorb or expect. A number of new trawler owners are converts from that world, including me.

Smart man.

:)

I already have a set of longer lines. I wasn't smart enough to buy the longer lengths in a different color for instant identification. So an early project will be to pick up a roll of colored rigging tape to mark the ends differently.

I've mentioned this story to others and will repeat it here.

My first boat was when I was 8, a small skiff and outboard. Professional watermen gave me a lot of grandfatherly advice I was grateful to receive. One is a piece I've never forgotten: "Son, there are only two sizes of rope that matter. Long enough and too short."

Wow, this set of posts is probably the most well organized, thoughtful posts I have read in regards to the Helmsman products. Thank you FWT!
One of the things I found the most important was Scott’s flexibility in making changes on the fly. I would encourage anyone buying to think through the options thoroughly with Scott. But, things pop up, and his willingness to look at suggestions for changes is really cool.
We have owned our boat for 6 months now. We received it in Iuka, Ms having been part of the “switched at berth” situation described by Doug in other posts. We took our time getting to our home port further north on the Tennessee River. Our plan was to head south after outfitting but haven’t yet, and will probably delay until next year.
I bring this up to tell you the after sale service with Helmsman has been as awesome as FWT’s description of the steps leading up to the sale and the delivery. In my case, Van Helker was point on commissioning, training, and after sale service. In my opinion, he is a “secret weapon” for the brand. He is a great trainer, calm, knowledgeable, and fun. He has been on point with every question I have had about the boat. He acts quickly, communicates well, and is actively learning the whole time. The professionalism he operates with is impressive.
Scott has been there, too, walking me through an issue on the 4th when everyone else was enjoying their holiday.
I will add on additional option to FWT’s well thought out list to consider for those of you underway with the build, or considering a new build. We added a grill and fridge up top. It has been our favorite upgrade.

I want to acknowledge the question, but I'm going to hold off. I want to cover the delivery timing challenges Helmsman has to deal with at some point, and will handle this then.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom