Problems with Propane System on Camano31

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

demarkie

Vessel Name
State of Mind
My propane system and Force 10 stove have worked great until just recently. My system is as follows:

1. Propane Tank connected to high pressure solenoid.
2. High pressure solenoid to pressure gauge.
3. Pressure gauge to two-stage regulator then through hose into the boat and stove.

Last week I opened the propane tank and turned on the switch in the galley (which operates the solenoid). The pressure was very slow to build and did not reach normal range on the pressure gauge. Plenty of fuel in the tank. After letting it build as much pressure as it could I lit the stove. The burner operated for several seconds normally and then slowly died out. I looked the pressure gauge and it read zero.

Any else ever had this issue?

I'd guess the solenoid has failed, only opening a little bit. They don't last forever. Also, what was the outside temperature at the time? Was it really cold? I had a similar problem with my patio barbecue grill, I thought the tank was empty although it felt heavy. Refill guy explained how the system works, in very cold temperatures there's not enough vapor in the tank to operate the burner. That's why propane heated homes have such large tanks, it's not that they need that much gas, they need that much head space in the tank to make enough vapor to run the furnace.

Last edited:
I recently replaced my propane solenoid with THIS. In my case, the solenoid failed open which seems unlikely, but that's what happened.

Check your fittings - the factory solenoid had female on one end and male on the other, so I needed a close nipple to complete the connection with this solenoid.

Good luck.

Peter

Since the guage is reading zero pressure we now know you have one of 4 possible problems.

No gas.
Tank valve is not open
Solenoid has failed
No power to solenoid.

Everyone suspects the solenoid, I would take a multimeter to see if the solenoid is getting voltage. If no voltage then check for voltage At the switch.

Have you checked the regulators?

My older regulator on my bbq had a funky brown residue inside, I replaced the regulator and all issues were resolved. I think regulators have a life span, and I think the quality of propane in one pound cylinders caused the funk.

My installed regulator acquired a perforated diaphram, and I could smell mercaptan. Assuming it was a connection issue I replaced the hose to the bottle, no joy, same issue. Replacing the regulator was required, now I have a spare regulator and connecting hose in my parts inventory.

Back
Top Bottom