Helmsman Hacks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What have folks done to organize the bow locker?

It’s deep. Drop a spare dock line down there and it would be a tough retrieval.

I have a bridle, and two fenders to use up front. Will add a 60 foot snubber for storms when we head for the gulf.

Sorry I was unclear.

Do you have hooks mounted to hang the snubbers on, rather than fish them out of a deep bottom?

Sorry I was unclear.

Do you have hooks mounted to hang the snubbers on, rather than fish them out of a deep bottom?

I keep them in a bag, with the fenders below them(with their lines suspended on the hose, so I can reach everything. It is a great space for storage, and is in keeping with my philosophy of no additional holes in the boat! That philosophy requires over riding occasionally, but always look for a better solution first.

We added docklines our first year to match the pirtside lines. We used pet collars for straps on our sailboat with the push in connectors, but on Honu we made our own so each dockline has its own holder on the rail. We do put the snubber coiled up hung on the spare anchor. Thought about using liquid nails to attach a 1x4 18 inches long to which I could mount a few hooks.

Thanks Tom:
I'll add my version.
1. (bottom) Spare 10' chain and anchor, 200' double braided line
2. Two Large fenders
3. Expandable water hoses and spray nozzle in a large net bag
4. Bridle in a net bag
5. Bucket
6. Telescoping Boat Hook (or A Telescoping Moor Hook for grabbing mooring ball ring)

OK, on the Tennessee we deal with river otters! Turns out the tailpipe is perfect position for the little critters to make a nest in there. We had the boat sitting for two weeks. Wind was blowing from the stern to the bow when we started her up. The most gosh awful mess you could think of came rushing out, and the stench was overwhelming. My wife thought the black water tank blew a line! It was worse than that.

Works with sea otters and muskrats, too.

I ordered an otter guard from Hurley Marine and installed it. Easy to do, while laying on the swim platform in the water. Might be something to do at delivery when the swim platform and depth finder gets installed.

OMG Here in SW BC our otters are too big for my pipes, so far. They climb on to the swim grid and thus up onto the stern deck and the rest of the boat, where they foul everything. After trying everything i have heard about and some things i have only thought about, I seem to have given them pause. I cut some 1/2" plywood to fit the surface of the swim grid, drew a grid on one side, used my pneumatic brad nailer and 2"#18 brads to trace the grid, 1.5" apart. This used 2000 brads over my 12'x 3' swim grid surface. So far, in 2 weeks use last summer and 2 weeks so far this summer, this has kept them off of the rest of my boat. I have had to straighten up the brads several times, so a stronger brad would work better, but this seems to discourage them enough to keep them from going the rest of the way up ontp the boat.
Downside, is to keep me off of the swim grid too. So far I have learned how much wave action will keep me from climbing from the kayak to the boat, while avoiding the brads. Some times I have had to abort that effort.

Thanks Tom:
I'll add my version.
1. (bottom) Spare 10' chain and anchor, 200' double braided line
2. ...
5. Bucket
6. Telescoping Boat Hook (or A Telescoping Moor Hook for grabbing mooring ball ring)

For the boat hook it might be something you need fast, so I stole Doug's hack of a purchase. A rod holder that works for the bow. If fact I am buying more for the kayak paddles and landing net.

You can buy here, but search other places as well.. I think Fisheries has them.

https://unitedyachting.com/product/pole-holder-for-stanchionrailing/

Reminder - take landscape pictures.

Attachments

• 20230807_211049.jpg
    20230807_211049.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 20230807_211052.jpg
    20230807_211052.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 22
Last week it was raining and blowing on the outside, so we weighed our anchor and headed back into Fitz Hugh Sound to charge the batts and check out a ghost cannery town of Namu.

On the way back we saw some fishing charters on the east coast of Nalau Island right in our path back out to Hakai Pass. We were returning to the open ocean for some fishing ourselves.

As we approached the “fishing fleet” Jill and I discussed how to fish off of the Helmsman without down riggers using a deep-6 diver. The only one that I had ready was a small size diver which will run 30’ deep at best. Jill slowed to idle as we entered the fleet of boats and I dropped the line trolling behind to ensure the right tension on the rod and everything was good.

I looked up to see the other boaters and they were all staring at us, like everyone does at our new boat, “NICE BOAT!” I heard. I thought they wonder what’s a 40’ trawler doing fishing? Why don’t we have a fancy boat with rocket launchers and 10 poles at ready

I waved said thanks!

I left the rod after that one minute and went in to tell Jill to follow the 150’ depth line and she said, ok, roger that, and.... ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!! on the back deck, and Lilly started barking up a storm. I scrambled to the stern and Jill threw it in neutral.

15 Minutes later, EmBark lands her first King! 20230731_144713.jpg

We picked up and headed out leaving the guides behind us as the same guy goes by the other way and yells, “NICE FISH!”

I waved and said thanks! and left the rest to them.

That was the most exhausting 15 minutes I had the entire day.

Opps I forgot, this is the hack string?

Okay need a cutting board? One that will roll up and take no space?
I bought a salmon size rubber cutting board and I place it on the floor of the lazaret. 20230801_174846.jpg
I then open the lazaret door and drop down in it using the floor as a table. Works okay.. and the high pressure salt and fresh washdowns I had the team install work superbly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WT6H13P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And have Kevin (if your commissioning in Seattle) install your washdown. I use them just about every day. Blast with salt water, rinse with fresh as needed. A+
washy.jpg

In need of a stern tie hack

Hey all. I bet buried in the thousands of Helmsman posts I will find the answer, but what kind of stern tie spool are you using and how are you attaching it? We ran into Norseman, a 2019 38e, and it had a very robust stern tie spool. We are still using the same bucket of floating rope we used on our Ranger Tug, so it is time to upgrade.

Hey all. I bet buried in the thousands of Helmsman posts I will find the answer, but what kind of stern tie spool are you using and how are you attaching it? We ran into Norseman, a 2019 38e, and it had a very robust stern tie spool. We are still using the same bucket of floating rope we used on our Ranger Tug, so it is time to upgrade.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s64/another-new-start-helmsman-59873-59.html

Post number 1180 starts the stern tie discussion.

This is what we have, the 10” version. Comes with its own mounting bracket, or if you already have a Scotty tilt up bracket (which we had already installed for a pot puller) it will mount to that as well.

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/smi-beau-mac-rope-winder-kits-and-spools

Hope you are enjoying the rest of your travels!

Chris

Here’s a very simple (and free) hack we came up with to silence the sound of the cord pulls hitting the wall while underway. We loop the weighted end of the pull through the bottom part of the stationery cord leaving no room for the pull to swing and hit the wall.

28562-albums1306-picture8067.html

Last edited:

Nice reels. What you need for the inside passage is 600'. I don't see that as an option. We've been gone for 72 days now and had to use it twice. One of those we needed just about all of it.

So, while the reels look great, I went with Twothruths to the exact purchase and Im very happy with it, It stows well in the laz pushed back to the starboard side. It's a very cheap solution to a simple hack. You get two bags from Amazon and I use the other for my dink and yak tow lines.

Its just too simple. Its like shrimping. just take the bitter end lay it outside of the bag and drop the line in naturally. You shouldn't ever get a knot.

I purchased a 600' reel of Samson braided polypropylene line, and keep it flaked in an Ikea "Frakta" bag, which is dirt cheap on Amazon (2 for $7). It worked perfectly last summer, and is easily stored in the cockpit lazarette.

See 1186 of that post Helmsman refers you to.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1147067&postcount=1186

Vulcan 25 and Factory Bale

Following up on this. I put on a Vulcan 25 this summer (not as pretty as the Bruce we get from the factory, I admit, but it sure showed its value this summer when everyone else was dragging but me). Since it doesn't fit cleanly under the bale, I removed the bale. This was a big hassle since at the factory they attach the nut with red loctite. After staring at this for a bit I realized the error of my ways and reinstalled it and wrapped it in 1/2" pipe insulation. Here it is. It works great and the anchor does not wobble in rough seas. And you don't need to remove the bale like I did since there is a split in the insulation. I saved a bunch of this stuff since it will decay over time.
IMG_3158.jpg

Catching burps when fueling

There is a bunch of discussion elsewhere on the forum of fuel coming out of the vent when fueling, usually fueling too fast or when you have foaming diesel. After many disasters on our Ranger Tug I did this simple, disposable easy way to catch fuel vent burps.

Just two layers of the absorbent cloth they give you to catch fuel drips (at least in the PNW..I just cut them with scissors into patches) and three strips of blue tape:

IMG_3162.jpg

However, we did have one of those "don't trust the gauges" moments filling the boat up after three weeks of long cruising. The port side gauge said <1/3 full so I put 100 gallons in and then kept going to get it close to full (trying to balance the list on the boat) only to overfill once I got to 110 gallons and was not paying attention to gurgling noises.

Learning from experience I guess. Or at least I hope. Back home and missing the boat already. That is a very good sign.

There is a bunch of discussion elsewhere on the forum of fuel coming out of the vent when fueling, usually fueling too fast or when you have foaming diesel. After many disasters on our Ranger Tug I did this simple, disposable easy way to catch fuel vent burps.

Just two layers of the absorbent cloth they give you to catch fuel drips (at least in the PNW..I just cut them with scissors into patches) and three strips of blue tape:

View attachment 141681

We have a rule to estimate how much fuel is in the tank and aim to fill 7/8s.

Start filling and a mate then calls out the fill marks 1/4, 1/2.. 7/8s, stop.

Just like any boat with vented tanks, in a swell and or rough seas, you'll get fuel overboard coming out of the vents when full full.. Typically when the coast guard is closely following you.

7/8ths has prevented spillage on the 38E and I don't think I'll need full tanks to get to the next fuel station.

I purchased the following hack syringe for bio and lubricant adds. The bio actually says to flow the additive into the flow of the diesel. It's a PITA and stopped doing it for that, BUT it works great as a measuring cup Makes less mess and I now drop some in over the fill time. Just don't drop the little end cap into the fuel tank.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09N8T7QFF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks Tom. As always, you are full of useful advice. Although I will use my gauge to decide when to stop filling, I will also still go with the burp protection because last time it burped on me well before being close to full. And I have ordered the syringes. One small one goes into the medical kit because it will be very useful for irrigating a wound.

After months of using shower caps for port light privacy, we installed Zarcor CloZures. We found company owner John Halter very helpful and responsive. He has the dimensions for the five port lights on the 38E and can make them very quickly. They provide privacy and, even in the closed position, allow some daylight.

http://www.zarcor.com/

28403-albums1128-picture8099.jpeg

28403-albums1128-picture8098.jpeg

rod holders

Do anyone have a pic of installed fishing rod holders on the ceiling of the stern cockpit area with it's curved arching roof? Looking to get something that looks great. Thanks, Tom

Time to revive this thread and seek your ideas. We are PNW boaters and seem to have more and varied jackets than most. Any hacks on where to hang them other than in the guest stateroom closet? At this point I’m thinking command hooks on the fiberglass wall in the day head.

Cheers
Scott

coat hangers

Scott,

The previous owner had a simple, ingenious idea that we were glad to get when he passed the boat to us. He took a wooden closet rod and added an adjustable extender to it with a nice foot on it. Put a foot on the other end. It is vertical in the rear head and another one is outside in the cockpit. He painted it and then attached a series of ss coat hooks to it. In the head it fits snugly between the floor and the ceiling and we hang pfd's and jackets on it in a place that handles drips well. The one in the cockpit is our spare lines hanger.

Pretty simple! Simple is good.

Enjoy your wonderful 43. Looking forward to seeing you on the water. Be sure to post to Helmsman's in the Wild if you have not already.

Jeff

I love the pole idea. Another project I need to get done. In the meantime the command hooks are working too.

ff, I think I get it. Do you have pics of the rods? Or next time your on the boat?

Hey Tom. Headed to the boat this weekend and will try to remember to take pictures.

I keep bumping into the ladder as I maneuver around the engine room. I decided to hang it out of my way when the deck is lifted using boat hook hangers.

Attachments

• IMG_4966.jpg
    IMG_4966.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 18
I keep bumping into the ladder as I maneuver around the engine room. I decided to hang it out of my way when the deck is lifted using boat hook hangers.

That is a great idea!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom