Old 12-28-2017, 10:00 AM   #21
Guru

City: Sequim, WA, USA
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
Take a look at the Standard Horizon Matrix, both the 2000 and 2200. I have owned them both on three boats. They have an intuitive function, and have good customer support. They have a quality feel to them in the switchgear and display. With a good antenna, their performance is exceptional. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.
Old 12-28-2017, 04:59 PM   #22
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Great progress Fletcher. Just curious, can you not get a VHF that comes with built in GPS that also has DSC Functionality. Like many, I have GPS on handhelds, phones tablets etc. With an EPIRB or SPOT, rescue functions can be utilized on a portable basis. Especially when the boat is sinking!
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:43 PM   #23
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Sun,

I have a portable VHF with GPS/DSC, and I programmed my MMSI number into it. Is that what you are referring to?

It has been a lot of fun reading about all of these new electronic systems available from the different manufacturers.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:28 PM   #24
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher500 View Post
Sun, I have a portable VHF with GPS/DSC, and I programmed my MMSI number into it. Is that what you are referring to?
Yes. It doesn't seem worthwhile to install a radio that then has to be hooked up or networked to an external GPS so the DSC function works.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:38 PM   #25
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRENE View Post
Take a look at the Standard Horizon Matrix, both the 2000 and 2200. I have owned them both on three boats. They have an intuitive function, and have good customer support. They have a quality feel to them in the switchgear and display. With a good antenna, their performance is exceptional. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.
I was a long-term Icom vhf user on this and past boats, but changed to Standard Horizon to give them a try. I installed the 2200 model on both the flybridge and lower helms and like them. Recommended.
Ken E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:37 PM   #26
Guru

A family posted an article covering their use of a Seakeeper Gyro over 7K miles on the loop on Panbo.com today. It’s a good read in case anyone is interested in these. He covers the why, how it was done (retrofit), and overall experience with the GYro.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:03 PM   #27
Guru

City: Looking
Vessel Name: --
Vessel Model: Between boats
Quote:
A family posted an article covering their use of a Seakeeper Gyro over 7K miles on the loop on Panbo.com today. It’s a good read in case anyone is interested in these. He covers the why, how it was done (retrofit), and overall experience with the GYro.
"$72,400 price plus the installation cost"

WOW!
boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:28 PM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Salish Spirit
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38E
Quote:
A family posted an article covering their use of a Seakeeper Gyro over 7K miles on the loop on Panbo.com today. Itís a good read in case anyone is interested in these. He covers the why, how it was done (retrofit), and overall experience with the GYro.
Interesting read, thanks for sharing. BTW, stopping by the yard one last time on Monday. Last time your 43' beauty was just ahead of ours. I'll try to get a pic of her from my flybridge!
flyer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:53 PM   #29

City: Thunder Bay
Vessel Name: Whitecaps
Vessel Model: Beneteau st 50
I had a seakeeper retrofitted into our 2015 beneteau st 50. Works like a charm! Only thing is under way, we kept getting a vapour lock in the water pump, so had to add a scoop to the intake, other than that have had no problems. Was a great investment, especially since on Lake Superior, we take a lot of beam seas.
Nottyrotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:48 AM   #30
Guru

Notty, Great to hear your SK is working well. A few questions:

What size unit?

Did you get air in the cooling pump at boat speeds less than 10 knots-or while traveling on plane? Or both low and high speeds?

If you have a pic of the scoop you installed can you post, or PM me?
Old 01-23-2018, 08:50 AM   #31
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
A family posted an article covering their use of a Seakeeper Gyro over 7K miles on the loop on Panbo.com today. Itís a good read in case anyone is interested in these. He covers the why, how it was done (retrofit), and overall experience with the GYro.
He has a 5 foot draft and bent 6 $5K props on his loop. That seems crazy expensive too!

The boat is for sale now on YW.

2003 Carver Gyro Stabilized 570 Voyager PH Power Boat For Sale -

Really wondering what he wants to buy for his next boat but bet has a keel.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:06 AM   #32
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
He has a 5 foot draft and bent 6 $5K props on his loop. That seems crazy expensive too!

The boat is for sale now on YW.

2003 Carver Gyro Stabilized 570 Voyager PH Power Boat For Sale -

Really wondering what he wants to buy for his next boat but bet has a keel.
He needs to learn to stay in the channel. 6 props on the loop is insane. 6 props in a lifetime of boating is a high number. Apparently he didn't learn very well.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:10 AM   #33
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
He needs to learn to stay in the channel. 6 props on the loop is insane. 6 props in a lifetime of boating is a high number. Apparently he didn't learn very well.
Only 2 were bent out of the channel and that was due to erroneous information about an anchorage. Just a lot of bad luck.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:35 AM   #34

City: PNW
Vessel Model: American Tug 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRENE View Post
I recommend Morad or Pacific Aerials antennas. Superior performance from each.

The Morad is a bit unconventional looking. Pacific Aerials offers some useful cabling options.

I have not been impressed with the brand beginning with S. I have no commercial affiliation with any of them - but I have used many of them all personally and professionally.

Good Luck
I'd like to echo what Irene says here. my PO had two VHFs made by "the brand beginning with S", in their defense they were probably on the very low end and only 3dB gain units... nevertheless I was not impressed, nor was the experienced marine tech we typically use.
I've ordered two 6 dB MORADs to be put on this spring. Agreed they're aesthetically a bit unusual but my focus is on performance and build quality. if MORADs are good enough for the USCG, thats what i want on our boat.
Hamrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:37 AM   #35

City: Thunder Bay
Vessel Name: Whitecaps
Vessel Model: Beneteau st 50
seakeeper scoop

here is a photo of the scoop -- we placed it over the flat opening for the water intake. it is near the aft end of the hull, so I was getting air into the pump when under way causing a vapour lock. this solved the problem. we have a seakeeper9 since the boat is just at the 50' mark.
hope this helps!
Nottyrotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:17 PM   #36
Guru

Seakeeper Gyro (5 Series), Engine, and Gen.
Attached Thumbnails
Seakeeper.jpg   Engine.jpeg   Gen.jpg  
Old 03-19-2018, 10:37 AM   #37
Guru

Final stages at the yard. She will be on a ship soon heading to the West Coast.
Attached Thumbnails
Yard.jpg  
Old 03-19-2018, 10:58 AM   #38
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
That seems like a fast build to me. I'm sure it seems much longer to you who's writing the checks and making the decisions.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:39 AM   #39
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
That seems like a fast build to me. I'm sure it seems much longer to you who's writing the checks and making the decisions.

It doesn't take long to build a boat. A boat in this range should always come in about six months. As you move up toward 100' you add months but still should be under a year. Everything else is delay and is costly and unnecessary and often reflects on the yard and problems they have. Can be anything from lack of working capital to chaotic lack of organization. Ultimately, you won't be profitable taking longer and a builder not making money becomes risky. To me, it's enjoyable following the Helmsman builds and seeing the professionalism. I loved the comment that Scott "will do what he says he'll do." So basic. The right way to conduct business. I liked following Bruce's American Tug build and one North Pacific build. There are good builders who do it this way and it's great when forum members are able to share experiences of those builds.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:08 PM   #40
Guru

We should see her in person in a couple weeks, and everyone is excited.

Mock up Dwg: Chelsea Rose is my daughter, and Rose goes back several generations on my wife's side as a middle name.
Attached Thumbnails
CR graphic1.jpg