Cockpit shower nozzle; is there a correct replacement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Escape
Vessel Make
Mariner 37
The on/off thumb "trigger" stopped working on our cockpit shower nozzle. I thought about taking it apart to clean it, but the chances of breaking it during disassembly look like nearly 100%. Is that just a sink sprayer, or did Mariner/Helmsman buy something special or unique?

Attachments

• IMG_1794.jpeg
    IMG_1794.jpeg
    137.7 KB · Views: 23
Take it to a big box and see what sprayer fits the threads and there you go.

That is a sink sprayer. They are not designed to hold back water while under pressure, they break quickly.

If you are looking to replace it on the cheap, get a hose spray wand.

pete

From my vantage point, your pictured nozzle is designed as a shower nozzle not a sink sprayer. If it was a sink sprayer (which hold back water every time you turn on the sink faucet) what is the purpose of the hole near the top? Decoration?

As a shower nozzle the hole provides a hanging point so that along with a piece of string and a twist tie for the valve lever, you can take an uninterrupted hands free shower. Just get the temperature right!

Sometimes ebay can be your friend. Looks like you are already missing the diffuser.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403727960375?

Also available in chrome for a few bucks more.

Will it thread on, I dunno but it looks the same.

The ebay listing states the male thread on the new nozzle where you attach the hose is 1/2" British Straight Pipe thread (BSP), which is common for these kind of things.

Before you spend the cash and drag the thing across the Atlantic, take your old nozzle and see if it winds into a female BSP fitting at your local hardware store, while they are not watching you.

You would hate to have a mismatch.

The ebay listing states the male thread on the new nozzle where you attach the hose is 1/2" British Straight Pipe thread (BSP), which is common for these kind of things.

Before you spend the cash and drag the thing across the Atlantic, take your old nozzle and see if it winds into a female BSP fitting at your local hardware store, while they are not watching you.

You would hate to have a mismatch.

This is good advice. I rebuilt an air compressor recently that used BSP threads on some of the fittings -- it was a very time-consuming ordeal to match the threads. I wasn't able to find anything with BSP threads of any size in any hardware store around here, including an RV service dealer.
Before that I didn't even know there was such a thing as BSP, I thought the whole world just ran on Imperial/English and metric. I know BSP is apparently based on Imperial, but even the BSP fittings I ordered from Grainger or MSC or some other online source didn't fit. (I used Scanvik on our boat, transom rinse and showers -- been in business for decades, their stuff lasts a long time in my experience anyway, and they still have replacement parts for their earliest products.)

BSP thread used to be common on the under cabinet connections to faucets. As usual things change, but BSP fittings should still be available in at least one end of the stainless sheathed rubber hose sold for faucet connections. Typically these things are unpackaged at the local hardware store.

BSP thread used to be common on the under cabinet connections to faucets. As usual things change, but BSP fittings should still be available in at least one end of the stainless sheathed rubber hose sold for faucet connections. Typically these things are unpackaged at the local hardware store.

Well, might be relatively easily available on the other side of the Pond and elsewhere, but I had a bear of a time finding it in the U.S., including mail order. The compressor was originally made in China so BSP must be in more frequent use there too, but it differs from NPT which is more common in the U.S. And then last week I wanted to rig up a dingy/floaty inflation hose on the boat and found out that the threads on most basketball/football inflation pins are not standard, but are 0.7 cm or .28 inch (of course), and won't fit the outlets on most blow guns I can buy here without an adapter. This is all very annoying - I'd even eagerly give up my English/Imperial/ American measurement standards if the world would only stinkin' adopt one universal standard system on threading. I have limited brain capacity and time in life, I don't have time to become an expert on thread/pitch/angle/diameter/metric/Imperial/NPT/BSP/NPTF/FIP/MIP... when all I want to do is blow up a T-Rex floaty for the kids, or change the sprayer on my transom wash-down hose, or firm up a basketball.

[Okay, end of rant, I feel better now. Talk about thread drift.:facepalm:]

I am in the water industry and spend plenty of my time dealing with pipe thread specifications, but had never even heard of BSP. Guessing that's what the threads are on the drain tube coming out of my Highfield dinghy. Couldn't find anything to fit it.

Shower Head

Scandvik 10279P On/Off Standard Trigger Sprayer Handle,White
Brand: Scandvik

Available from Amazon

I am in the water industry and spend plenty of my time dealing with pipe thread specifications, but had never even heard of BSP.
The rest of the world says no

British Standard Pipe (BSP) is a set of technical standards for screw threads that has been adopted internationally for interconnecting and sealing pipes and fittings by mating an external (male) thread with an internal (female) thread. It has been adopted as standard in plumbing and pipe fitting, except in North America, where NPT and related threads are used.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Standard_Pipe

Some of those stern shower kits are also used on RVs and even available at Lowe's in the camping section.

It's definitely a $3 bum gun, though more like $20 these days. And the 3 stops I made produced none with BSP threads. Found one on line though and it's now headed my way. Thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom