Old 10-27-2022, 10:51 AM   #1041
Guru

City: Chattanooga
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydraulicjump View Post
Hey all, while we are on anchors…we will upgrade to the Vulcan with a Mantus swivel sometime this spring. But I have a concern that may or may not be valid. The stock boat has 200’ of chain. We would like more total rode for anchoring in deeper water, especially in deeper anchorages in Desolation Sound and the Inside Passage (this concept will be foreign to our southeast and Gulf coast friends). We are toying with adding a stock-purchased 25’ chain—using a connecting link—that is then spliced to 100’ of braid. This allows for substantial scope in a big blow. And in the worst case of a fouled and irretrievable anchor, you can use bolt cutters and still have substantial rode left over to attach your spare anchor to. Like groundings, we are just between fouled anchors.

Am I over-thinking this? Do not ask my spouse that rhetorical question.

On the boat this evening in Seattle where it is windy, cold, wet and to a drought-plagued Californian, lovely.

Jeff
I believe the recommended line size for the windlass that comes with the 38 is 9/16th line. That could be augmented by a 3/4” or 1” snubber attached to the chain for a big blow. I think many would recommend a snubber made of 3/4” 3 strand nylon. I think this question might best be answered by one of the Helmsman team.
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 10:53 AM   #1042
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanprr View Post
backinblue has a great suggestion in splicing line on to the 200' chain. The extra rode is useful up north in many of the deep inlets. The Bruce anchor which came with the 38E worked really well in mud and sand, but not as well in rocky bottoms (as expected). Many of the pubs on cruising the PNW also describe what types of bottom exist in the anchorages, so you can plan ahead. The 46 comes with a 66# stainless Bruce with 300 feet of 3/8" chain. I'm very happy about that. I'll stay with the Bruce. I'm still undecided about a spare, and that could be a Rocna.
I'd suggest 8 plait over 3 strand nylon. Works better with the windlass and stores easier and flatter as it is much more flexible. Highly recommend New England Rope.
Old 10-27-2022, 11:00 AM   #1043
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
I believe the recommended line size for the windlass that comes with the 38 is 9/16th line. That could be augmented by a 3/4” or 1” snubber attached to the chain for a big blow. I think many would recommend a snubber made of 3/4” 3 strand nylon. I think this question might best be answered by one of the Helmsman team.
A quick search says it comes with a Lewmar V3. If that's what you're getting on yours, it looks like the gypsy for 5/16" G43 will take 5/8" line. That's the same sizing I use, although I wouldn't mind going up to 3/4" line to better match the working load of the chain. Using a stronger, less stretchy line (such as Samson Tenex) and just always using a snubber for stretch would also get more strength without needing to go bigger than 5/8".
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 11:04 AM   #1044
Guru

City: SoCal and Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
A quick search says it comes with a Lewmar V3. If that's what you're getting on yours, it looks like the gypsy for 5/16" G43 will take 5/8" line. That's the same sizing I use, although I wouldn't mind going up to 3/4" line to better match the working load of the chain. Using a stronger, less stretchy line (such as Samson Tenex) and just always using a snubber for stretch would also get more strength without needing to go bigger than 5/8".
General rule of thumb is that line size is 2x chain size, which matches strength and (typically) gypsy compatibility. Make sure you prioritize matching the gypsy or you will be fighting it forever.

Good plan overall IMO.
guy with a boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 11:11 AM   #1045
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy with a boat View Post
General rule of thumb is that line size is 2x chain size, which matches strength and (typically) gypsy compatibility. Make sure you prioritize matching the gypsy or you will be fighting it forever.

Good plan overall IMO.
Strength-wise, 5/16" G43 and 5/8" 8 plait are pretty close. But the working load of the chain is still higher than the line. 3/4" 8 plait is stronger than the chain, but much closer in working load.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 11:23 AM   #1046
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
I'd suggest 8 plait over 3 strand nylon. Works better with the windlass and stores easier and flatter as it is much more flexible. Highly recommend New England Rope.
Sorry, probably wasn’t clear in my post. The 3 strand recommendation is for the snubber.
Old 10-27-2022, 12:03 PM   #1047
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
I agree 3-strand is fine for snubber, but 8-plait better suited to rode. Also agree don't go bigger than what your gypsy is designed for or you'll struggle with it. Also, if you are splicing line to chain, you may not get 3/4" 8-plait to fit in a link of 5/16 chain. Even if you do, the splice is a bit complex and kind of fat so you may have trouble feeding that splice through your gypsy and into your hawse.

IMHO, if you are in conditions where you are snapping 5/8" nylon, you probably have bigger issues to worry about.
Old 10-30-2022, 05:02 PM   #1048

City: La Conner
Vessel Name: Alba Bella
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38E (In transit)
Another idea on checklists

My experience in naval aviation and private flying taught me of the value of checklists. The Helmsman Trawlers checklist information that I have received from other TF users is very useful but I wanted to put it in a usable and accessible format that can be easily updated. I found an aviation app, MiraCheck Co-Pilot, that works perfectly (Some people have used it for recipes). The checklists can be used hands-free with audio prompts and voice responses. Checklists can include text, bulleted lists, graphics, tables, links and many more. They can be printed to beautifully formatted hard copy checklists. The app runs on PCs and mobile devices, including the Apple Watch. Checklists can be easily shared with other users of the app and exported to several formats. There is a free version but the best features require the Pro version for $99. If it helps avoid one stupid mistake, it’s money well spent. It is also keeping me busy while we wait for our 38E to slowly makes its way across the Pacific for the next eleven days.

https://www.miracheck.com/
Doug_Snider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 07:31 PM   #1049
Veteran Member

City: Port Ludlow
Vessel Name: Kiskadee
Vessel Model: Helmsman 46 Hull#1
Would be good for creating a checklist for items which need periodic service. I created a handy reference list of service periods taken from various op manuals, which had engine oil/filter, transmission oil/filter, Racor, webasto, dripless shaft seal, genset oil/filter, windlass, etc. and a reminder to change batteries in remotes, and webasto thermostat annually. The first service on a 38E would be a transmission oil/filter change at 25 hours if you have a ZF transmission. Regular maintenance means more enjoyable times on the water. If you're handy with tools, doing the service jobs yourself can be rewarding, and you get to learn where everything is on the boat!!
chanprr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 09:06 PM   #1050
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanprr View Post
Would be good for creating a checklist for items which need periodic service. I created a handy reference list of service periods taken from various op manuals, which had engine oil/filter, transmission oil/filter, Racor, webasto, dripless shaft seal, genset oil/filter, windlass, etc. and a reminder to change batteries in remotes, and webasto thermostat annually. The first service on a 38E would be a transmission oil/filter change at 25 hours if you have a ZF transmission. Regular maintenance means more enjoyable times on the water. If you're handy with tools, doing the service jobs yourself can be rewarding, and you get to learn where everything is on the boat!!
I am starting to compile a scheduled maintenance list that probably won’t be completed until January when I have an opportunity to go through the maintenance lists in the manuals. With the engine serial number, you can pull in suggested maintenance on the Cummins engine. That will be a start.

My approach will be a handwritten ship’s log, which will have operational notes, such as fuel tank changes, pump outs, etc. as well as trip notes. Then an excel based planned maintenance log, with a page for unplanned maintenance. The unplanned maintenance will be compiled quarterly from the ships log, with images of the invoices uploaded. All of the part numbers, serial numbers, etc. will also be part of it.

I found this approach helpful and a time saver with a previous boat, and was a big selling point, when I let the last one go.
Old 10-30-2022, 09:07 PM   #1051
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Snider View Post
My experience in naval aviation and private flying taught me of the value of checklists. The Helmsman Trawlers checklist information that I have received from other TF users is very useful but I wanted to put it in a usable and accessible format that can be easily updated. I found an aviation app, MiraCheck Co-Pilot, that works perfectly (Some people have used it for recipes). The checklists can be used hands-free with audio prompts and voice responses. Checklists can include text, bulleted lists, graphics, tables, links and many more. They can be printed to beautifully formatted hard copy checklists. The app runs on PCs and mobile devices, including the Apple Watch. Checklists can be easily shared with other users of the app and exported to several formats. There is a free version but the best features require the Pro version for $99. If it helps avoid one stupid mistake, it’s money well spent. It is also keeping me busy while we wait for our 38E to slowly makes its way across the Pacific for the next eleven days.

https://www.miracheck.com/
Thanks Doug! Last check on your ship showed a November 8th stop in Seattle. Looks like you are getting close to owning a new boat!
Old 11-01-2022, 11:16 PM   #1052

City: Davis, California
Vessel Name: Off Leash
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38e
Doug,

Just wanted to chime in with the excitement over your new arrival this month. There are so few Helmsman trawlers out there (in comparison to our old Ranger Tug, for example), it feels like a new baby orca is about to join the pod. Looking forward to seeing that gorgeous blue hull on the water. When we come to La Conner (at high tide...lesson learned many years ago) we will look for you.

We just got home after a week and a half on Off Leash. The weather was typical Seattle, but the boat was warm, dry, and oh so very spacious and comfortable. These are remarkably livable boats.

Jeff
Old 11-02-2022, 02:14 PM   #1053

Quote:
Doug,

Just wanted to chime in with the excitement over your new arrival this month. There are so few Helmsman trawlers out there (in comparison to our old Ranger Tug, for example), it feels like a new baby orca is about to join the pod. Looking forward to seeing that gorgeous blue hull on the water.
Jeff,

It’s good to hear the 38E is comfortable in Seattle weather in the fall. We’ll be meeting Alba Bella on a very cool fall day next Thursday. While we won’t exactly be living aboard, we want to cruise through the winter, weather permitting. We made trips on our Bayliner in the winter but it was far from comfortable. Having a cozy warm pilot house with the espresso machine nearby will be a luxury.

We’re filling the long days while the ship makes its way across the Pacific with last minute preparations and purchases. We’ve been generating checklists with MiraCheck which we will refine as we learn more about the boat. The information you shared with us has been very helpful.

Although our adventure is just beginning, sharing our experience with our family, friends and our communities on Trawler Forum and here in Shelter Bay has made the build process very special.

While Alba Bella is being commissioned, the entry to our marina will be dredged along with the north basin. The timing is perfect.

We look forward to meeting you and Off Leash out on the water and maybe at the Helmsman Trawlers rendezvous next spring.

Doug
Old 11-05-2022, 11:04 AM   #1054

Starlink dish placement on H38e

After a whole lot of experimentation, we finally followed the advice here on placement of tHe Starlink dishy (affectionately known as stinky). The position with the least obstruction other than the top of the mast, was the stern railing on the starboard side of the flybridge. Placing it as far to starboard as possible had the advantage reducing the likelihood of a collision with the dinghy when we crane it off and on.

We used a Scotty rod holder with a rail mount

https://scotty.com/rod-holders-and-mounts/

Put a length of black 1.5” PVC inside the rod holder with two screws through the rod holder and into the pvc near the base. This formed a fairly snug fit for the dish stem, supported its base, did not inhibit the rotation of the dish, and allowed for an easy feed of the wire into the dish.

We leave the base mount on the railing all the time. We just unscrew the rod holder and stow the dish and rod holder in the cabinet beneath the flybridge helm.

This is going to work great when we use the dish while cruising and it is a very low cost fix. We are on the RV package and have turned it off for the winter, saving some $. But I gotta say, our speeds at the dock have steadily declined over the past two months. And at high use times, the dish is pretty useless. So what started out as a game changer is, due to very high traffic in the Seattle area, not so great all the time. It’ll be fine once we get away from Seattle. I have noticed that everyone has a different experience depending on their location, however. Even in the Seattle area.

Jeff
Old 11-05-2022, 11:45 AM   #1055

City: Sequim
Vessel Name: M/V Waterhorse
Vessel Model: Awaiting a Helmsman 38E, Hull#52
Quote:
After a whole lot of experimentation, we finally followed the advice here on placement of tHe Starlink dishy (affectionately known as stinky). The position with the least obstruction other than the top of the mast, was the stern railing on the starboard side of the flybridge. Placing it as far to starboard as possible had the advantage reducing the likelihood of a collision with the dinghy when we crane it off and on.

Put a length of black 1.5” PVC inside the rod holder with two screws through the rod holder and into the pvc near the base. This formed a fairly snug fit for the dish stem, supported its base, did not inhibit the rotation of the dish, and allowed for an easy feed of the wire into the dish.

We leave the base mount on the railing all the time. We just unscrew the rod holder and stow the dish and rod holder in the cabinet beneath the flybridge helm.

This is going to work great when we use the dish while cruising and it is a very low cost fix. We are on the RV package and have turned it off for the winter, saving some $. But I gotta say, our speeds at the dock have steadily declined over the past two months. And at high use times, the dish is pretty useless. So what started out as a game changer is, due to very high traffic in the Seattle area, not so great all the time. It’ll be fine once we get away from Seattle. I have noticed that everyone has a different experience depending on their location, however. Even in the Seattle area.

Jeff
Hey Jeff! Your set up sounds great! Could you please share a photo or two? Quite interested since we will be adding a dishy to ours as well. Thanks
Nancy n Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 11:51 AM   #1056

Quote:

Jeff,

I’d like to know which Scotty components you used and how you routed the cable to the StarLink router.

Does it work OK at anchor?

Are the new StarLink data caps an issue?

Thanks,
Doug

Five days to splashdown in Seattle
Old 11-05-2022, 11:55 AM   #1057

Will take pictures when we get back to the boat (and grandkids, of course) next week. It was nice to have a "fix" that was less then $50 for a change. 5% of one boat buck!
Old 11-05-2022, 12:02 PM   #1058

Quote:
Will take pictures when we get back to the boat (and grandkids, of course) next week. It was nice to have a "fix" that was less then $50 for a change. 5% of one boat buck!
Jeff,

I look forward to seeing that. If you’re in the vicinity of Waterline Boats next week, drop by. We’re going down for the offloading on the 10th and we’ll be back down on the 14th for the graphics installation. We’re not sure of the commissioning schedule, but we’ll probably be spending a lot of time there for however long it takes.

Doug
Old 11-05-2022, 12:04 PM   #1059

Doug, I think we used the Scotty #230 Powerlock Rod holder and added a Scotty #245 1 1/4" rail mount holder. But worth wandering into Fisheries or West Marine to make sure the measurements are right, since I do not trust my memory on this. Will check again later this next week. The PVC fit nicely into the rod holder but there was about a 1/4" slop between the PVC and the stem of the dishy. I just put a piece of gorilla tape to make things extra snug and to keep water from running down inside of the pvc. Others will have more elegant and durable solutions I am sure. The wire comes up through the base of the rod holder/pvc past the screws no problem.

Exciting that that the new boat arrives next week. Yeehaw!
Old 11-05-2022, 12:07 PM   #1060
Guru

Quote:

Jeff

Thanks for posting! That is a great idea, plus no holes in the boat.

One thing you will want to do is pull the Dishy out and fire it up monthly to get new firmware. Users have reported that they have "bricked" theirs by not doing so. Apparently there isn't anyway to fix it if that happens.

I think the speed will head back up as they get more satellites into orbit. I would imagine areas where there are cruise ships could be an issue. They also saw a notice in another forum somewhere that they will throttle anyone who goes over 1 Terabyte of usage in a month, which is about 10% of their users. That is a huge amount of data.

I decided to go with the flat panel, and hope to place it on the arch under the radar beam, but far enough out to have most of the 140 degree range unaffected. The unit with the tripod has a 100 degree range and therefore could be mounted closer. I will probably try it several places with bungy cords to see what works best.