Tennessee Resident, purchase in Kentucky

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patclem

Vessel Name
Rock N Roll
Vessel Make
1972 Gulfstar 36
So we live in Tennessee but we're in the process of buying a boat in Kentucky. I know we probably have to pay Kentucky sales tax.

We're moving her to Kentucky Lake to a marina on the Kentucky side. Does the boat HAVE to be registered in Kentucky? It's complicating our insurance. We have to get a different agent, etc. We'll technically be USING the boat in both states as Kentucky Lake straddles Kentucky and Alabama, but Kentucky and Tennessee say it has to be registered in the state it's primarily used in.

I wish I could find a slip in Tennessee (like Paris Landing) but I don't have the time off from work to move her to the next open slip (Hales Bar). 36' boat...

If you have any knowledge of this sort of thing, it would be much appreciated!

We live in TN and recently bought a boat in TN. We opted for a slip in a marina in Alabama. What we leaned is that it is not the state you reside in, but the state where the boat lives that dictates state registration and sales tax payment. Can’t speak for KY, but AL significantly less sales tax than TN.

Should have mentioned that insurance was a little more for out of state. We insured through our auto, home agent because BOATUS refused to insure a boat over 40 years old.

Thanks a bunch. We figured that out after finding the ‘expert’ at the State of Kentucky. We’ll have to register in Kentucky, pay KY sales tax. We also found out Geico (BoatUS) won’t insure a 40yo boat. Progressive will, but our normal agent isn’t licensed in Kentucky. Lots of little details.

We’ll be taking her home hopefully down the Ohio to Kentucky Dam Marina in a couple weeks. We hope she makes it!

Thanks a bunch. We figured that out after finding the ‘expert’ at the State of Kentucky. We’ll have to register in Kentucky, pay KY sales tax. We also found out Geico (BoatUS) won’t insure a 40yo boat. Progressive will, but our normal agent isn’t licensed in Kentucky. Lots of little details.

We’ll be taking her home hopefully down the Ohio to Kentucky Dam Marina in a couple weeks. We hope she makes it!

Best of luck. Maybe we’ll see you on the river some day, although we’re 378 miles up river!

Hello neighbor. We are at Paris Landing Marina. Have you looked into registering the boat in Tennessee since you live there? You’ll have to pay the one time Tennessee sales tax.

Congrats, and you could likely get away reg in either ky or tn. Im a little further upstream, Cuba Landing Marina

Hello neighbor. We are at Paris Landing Marina. Have you looked into registering the boat in Tennessee since you live there? You’ll have to pay the one time Tennessee sales tax.

The boat is going to be kept in KY, so will need to be registered there.

thanks everyone for the replies!

Last edited:
Now that the OP's questions have been answered, excuse me while I take this a bit off-topic.

Hi ya'll! I'm a fellow Tennesseean, born and raised in Memphis. I later called Arizona and Colorado home before moving to Florida many moons ago, but as the famous movie line says. "there's no place like home." My first boating experiences were as a child fishing on the Mighty Miss in an aluminum rowboat and going to Pickwick Lake on Sundays. Was a great way and place to grow up.

I believe KY charges an annual property tax based on the value of the boat as well.

I wish I could find a slip in Tennessee (like Paris Landing) but I don't have the time off from work to move her to the next open slip (Hales Bar). 36' boat...

Run the numbers on your total yearly costs. Might make it worth the time to find a TN slip.

I live in Tennessee and bought a boat in Louisville. After a few repairs and maintenance (and great advice from this forum and I truly mean that) I moved it to Tennessee and paid Tennessee sales tax when I registered it. Kentucky department of revenue followed up about 9 months later seeking information about where I lived and where the boat was. He was nice and accepted my answers and said I didn’t owe KY tax.
You want to move that boat to Tennessee or face personal property tax on it every year.
Paris Landing isn’t the only marina on KY lake as you know.
If I were you I’d try hard to get it to Tennessee.

Back
Top Bottom