News on Fake USCG Documentation renewal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting article, thanks for posting. Doesn't surprise me though that these -- well, I guess we can't call them scammers because you do get your renewals, at triple the price -- continue to press for access to the database. I happen to work for a state court and courts get similar requests or demands for marketing purposes all the time. Real estate agents want names and addresses of divorce parties so they can market their services when parties have to liquidate the house. Investment and financial brokers and counselors want the names and addresses of family members or executors filing probate cases so they can market to the bereaved families. Moving and shipping and storage companies want the names and addresses in probate cases so they can offer to move, pack and store grandma's stuff. J.G. Wentworth style businesses want lawsuit settlement data so they can market cash-now payouts for fractions on the dollar for multi-year settlements. Harvesting data on families in distress for marketing purposes has always felt awfully mercenary to me, but at least those other business don't try to be deceitful or slippery about their true identities, and maybe they are helpful, I guess. The third party doc services though have always seemed the most ethically questionable to me by far because of the way they try to disguise themselves.

As has been mentioned many times on this topic, the key is to be a smart "buyer" and do the research before opening the checkbook. These services do their best to lead one to believe they are somehow "official" with tactics that do border on deceptive (though most are careful to use disclaimers and not quite step over the line- legally anyway). If one has an investment in a boat large enough to document, taking a bit of time to research the paperwork just makes sense. That said, these "services" wouldn't be in business if people weren't using them.

As I mentioned in another thread, I just got a renewal reminder letter from one of the scammers and the letter clearly said renewal is mandatory 5 years. WRONG! The Real CG Doc office offers 1-5 year renewals.

Goodness, not this topic again. The business isn't 'fake'. There are no complaints that customer's have not received the service they paid for.

The argument is about how much his marketing looks very similar to legal notification. The service he provides is not illegal or even unethical. (In that statement, I'm not talking about his marketing practices).

Goodness, not this topic again. The business isn't 'fake'. There are no complaints that customer's have not received the service they paid for.

The argument is about how much his marketing looks very similar to legal notification. The service he provides is not illegal or even unethical. (In that statement, I'm not talking about his marketing practices).

Yes it is a legitimate business and yes they do provide the service they are being paid for.
This topic is ALL about the marketing practices. And now they are sending out reminder letters saying renewal is mandatory 5 years, which is completely false. I’m hoping the Coast Guard Doc office will step up and make them correct that statement.

Let's not split hairs here. It is a "fake" business in that it presents as being the legitimate US Coast Guard renewal process, and it is not.

I don't understand why people keep coming to these scammers' defense.

It may be a legal business. Or it may be they just haven't been convicted yet. But it's not a legitimate business. They trade only on deception. They'd be out of business if the customers knew what was going on.

If they were masquerading as a corporation instead of the Coast Guard, that corporation would immediately sue them into oblivion.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom