Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
A little over two years
Then time. You better check into it.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:16 AM   #123

City: Richmond
Quote:
A little over two years
Redundant, but make sure you only go to the CG website.

https://www.uscg.mil/nvdc/forms/cg1261.pdf
Old 04-25-2017, 09:18 AM   #124
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
This is what I see when I pull up my boat:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9784.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	64135

Why is there no expiration date?
Old 04-25-2017, 09:51 AM   #125
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:

Attachment 64135

Expired, perhaps. I'd call and find out. If it is within 31 days of having expired, you can do a simple renewal, which I'd do online for expediency. If it's been longer, you have to do a reinstatement which is the same form used initially for documentation, CG-1258. There is an additional fee of $84 on top of the regular fees for renewal.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:38 AM   #126

City: Wherever the boat is
Vessel Name: Kismet
Asking for a friend -

If I USCG document... and keep my boat in a different state than my "home" address.. how exactly would a state have a basis and means for collecting property/ad valorum/sales tax?

Old 04-25-2017, 11:53 AM   #127
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev_rm View Post
Asking for a friend -

If I USCG document... and keep my boat in a different state than my "home" address.. how exactly would a state have a basis and means for collecting property/ad valorum/sales tax?

Property tax and sales tax laws differ by state so can't answer in detail.

However, generally property taxes will be assessed based on where the boat is located. Sales taxes will be charged based on where purchased, except when intent is to leave the state purchased exemptions are available. Then use tax will be assessed by the state to which the boat is taken.

You can always buy and keep your boat in a state with no taxes but then that might not be convenient to you.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:01 PM   #128
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Asking for a friend -

With computers it's pretty easy to track property taxes, state registrations or lack there of.

When we were based in a large municipal marina in WA State, a tax representative would walk the docks maybe once a year and ask particularly boats, those that were documented from other states more often than others what their tax status was.

Cap Sante Marina in Anacortes WA, when we asked about long term moorage, they said we would have to show either State registration or a temporary vessel ID doc after 60 days. Hobo's AK documented.

A friend had his vessel impounded in MA. It was Delaware documented and had been in the state for 2 years, not registered or sales tax paid.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:33 PM   #129
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
They'll walk the docks and seek out any boats in the state for more than XX days, which don't have a valid in-state registration or tax decal.

But there's another way: they'll review the CG documented vessel database for boats with a "hailing port" in their state.

Now, understand that you can legally choose ANY geographic place name for your hailing port. It doesn't have to be where the boat is, where you live, or have any connection to you.

Still, it gives the state a clue, and they WILL act on it.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:25 PM   #130
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:

Attachment 64135

Appears expired for over eight years.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:31 PM   #131
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
I need to call, obviously, like others said. My name is on the documentation after the original owner Harry Cole Jr. I bought the boat a couple of years ago.

The lender did the documentation paperwork so I was out of the loop initially, and obviously I'm still out of the loop. Lol.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:37 PM   #132

City: San Rafael, California
Vessel Name: M/V Patience
Vessel Model: 1978 Californian 38' Trawler
File a complaint with the Postal Inspectors

Here is some information from the Postal Inspectors website. Don't know if what you described is "over the line", but it sure seems close.

https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/i...vtSchemes.aspx

Schemes that Charge Money for free Govt. Services
A variety of false representation schemes involve mailed solicitations that offer for a fee certain services available free of charge from the government. Often the company's name and mailing design deceptively imply that the company is or has ties to a government agency. If you receive such a solicitation, you should call the government agency that maintains the information being sold by the promoter and ask if it is available for free from that agency.

If you have been victimized in one of these schemes, or if you have received a suspicious solicitation in the mail, report your experience to your local postmaster or nearest Postal Inspector.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:53 PM   #133
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Probably the same people who masquerade as the USPS address change site and charge you $20 for the same service the USPS charges $1 for.
And the only reason the USPS charges the dollar is to verify identity.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:56 PM   #134
Guru

The problem isn't the service itself, even though I don't think the particular company mentioned adds any value. Others who handle documentation do. The issue is that they attempt to make it appear they're the USCG agency. A real title and documentation service makes it clear what the USCG charge is and what they charge and the extras they provide.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:52 PM   #135

City: Baytown, Texas
Vessel Name: Islander
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck34 View Post
Just a reminder to all you owners of documented boats, when it comes time to renew, only go to the CG documentation website and renew for $26. If you get a reminder letter and it gives you a website address and they want $75, that is not the CG website but a private documentation service. The letter looks very official and fools many people into thinking it came from the CG. It even has a West VA return address even though it was mailed from CAL.
BEWARE!
Damnit! They fooled me!

Kevin
Old 04-26-2017, 10:14 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallswede View Post
Damnit! They fooled me!

Kevin
Sorry they got you too, tallswede. Tell everyone you know about this. Best way to stop these people is by spreading the word. Once enough people find out, the company will find the little bit of income they get, won't pay the expense of mailing out the reminder letters.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:47 AM   #137
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Same thing happens with the ESTA online process for a visa to enter USA. There is the official site, and a heap of others, charging more, pretending to be the official site, clipping the ticket for $ while doing zip.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:17 AM   #138
FF
Guru

"However, generally property taxes will be assessed based on where the boat is located"

In CT the tax man forces the marina and boat yards to compile a list of every boat , on shore , at a dock or moored .

Mandated , but unpaid for of course.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:58 PM   #139

In addition to BOAT US putting out a press release about this, the United States Power Squadron put a warning in their spring publication, The Ensign, warning boaters not to fall for this.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:25 AM   #140

In addition to the press release put out by BOAT US, the U.S. Power Squadron also had a article in their spring publication warning boaters to beware.
Closed Thread

Tags
documentation, john soria, uscgdocumentation.us