ST-44 - Master Shower Draining Slow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nhislander

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
No Regrets
Vessel Make
Swift Trawler 44
I checked the sump box/accumulator and float and they are fine. Clearly slow draining water from shower into the pump. Can't see/access any trap or clean out... Is it OK to use a liquid clog remover (like Drano)? Other thoughts?

Did you try pulling out the drain fitting and cleaning it. It clogs up with hair. Takes a little wiggling but it come out. Also take out the cup in the drain and clean it.

If your sump box has a cover, remove it and see if it changes how fast the shower drains. If the shower drains faster, the implication is that you might do well to install a vent (to the outside) for your sump. I ended up having to do this on my boat and it solved a world of "slow drain" headaches for sinks and the shower.

If your sump box has a cover, remove it and see if it changes how fast the shower drains. If the shower drains faster, the implication is that you might do well to install a vent (to the outside) for your sump. I ended up having to do this on my boat and it solved a world of "slow drain" headaches for sinks and the shower.
Great suggestion. Never thought about it as I believe the sump has a small vent at the cover but I have an abandoned black tank vent I left in place when I ran a larger straighter one. I will give it a try come spring.

I had the same issue. The vent hose to the sump box had water in it and was run in a poor manner. I took out slack and blew all water out of the line. Then I removed the drain catch by pulling straight up on it, cleaned it out, it was gross. Never an issue again with draining. Be careful not to cut your fingers when pulling it out, its sharp. Remove not only the metal shiny part but the white plastic catch.

I had a similar problem. The sump was below the waterline and used a rule 500’pump. The impeller shaft was wrapped with hair and turned slowly. Cut pump apart to find problem. Put bronze insect screen over the pump sump plus new pump to solve problem.

I had a similar problem. The sump was below the waterline and used a rule 500’pump. The impeller shaft was wrapped with hair and turned slowly. Cut pump apart to find problem. Put bronze insect screen over the pump sump plus new pump to solve problem.

diaphragm pump would be better, yout dont want an impeller on something that can get clogged with hair.

Another thing you can do…bring your dock water hose with pressure nozzle into the boat and use it to flush out the drain line. I’d do that before putting chemicals down the drain.

I had the same issue. The vent hose to the sump box had water in it and was run in a poor manner. I took out slack and blew all water out of the line. Then I removed the drain catch by pulling straight up on it, cleaned it out, it was gross. Never an issue again with draining. Be careful not to cut your fingers when pulling it out, its sharp. Remove not only the metal shiny part but the white plastic catch.

I have always had very slow drainage into the sump on my 2012 ST44. Can you please help me identify which sump hose is the vent? Many Thanks!

I have always had very slow drainage into the sump on my 2012 ST44. Can you please help me identify which sump hose is the vent? Many Thanks!

I just traced all of the hoses. Vent goes back towards engine room. You should see the vent thruhull near next to the waste tank. Hard to get in there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom