Beneteau Swift Trawler 44

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Congratulations! Don`t let the delivery voyage be the shakedown cruise.

Congratulations! Please keep in touch!

Alright, did a shakedown... have a few questions...

1. How does one prime/pressurize the fresh water system? It was working fine, ran out of water despite gauge saying there was a little left, I re-filled, opened all fixtures, turned on pump, and nothing.
2. Anyone know if the flybridge grill and AC outlets should work off of the generator? I can get the AC outlets off the inverter but seems to be they should run independently of the inverter when there is generator power. The prior owner shared that when the boat was first delivered, the factory forgot to wire in the grill. He said someone came to the boat and wired it but he could never get it to turn on while on generator power. I am guessing something is wired incorrectly.
3. Does anyone know what fitting is needed to connect shore water? It looks like some sort of quick release on the stern. Need to find the adapter/part that will allow me to connect a regular hose. Maybe I can prime the water system that way? Also think I need the same/similar adapter for the wash down pump.
4. How does one activate the windshield washer? Where is the fluid reservoir?
5. Does anyone have propane cooktop/oven? I brought the propane canister to be filled and it had 9.5 pounds out of 10 already. The remote switch/solenoid under flybridge stairs feels hot to the touch, perhaps its stuck?

Other than that some issues including a slight steering fluid leak and it steering feels a bit weird especially at the upper helm. The pin for the fire extinguisher in the engine room appears to be in but I could not crawl to it to investigate closer. Also found a Seafire indicator led part in the drawer that was never installed that says “system charged/system discharged” - was that installed by beneteau for anyone else? Also my 16k BTU AC in the salon is throwing error “HP” - I checked strainer, need to investigate further. Have some other lower priority issues but need to get all the above figured out before a 3,000 mile journey.

ps. Wish they made the stateroom/head doors a couple inches higher, looks like they had the real estate, hoping i dont keep hitting my head in the middle of the night

Thank you TF and Happy Holidays!

Last edited:
See below INLINE

1. How does one prime/pressurize the fresh water system? It was working fine, ran out of water despite gauge saying there was a little left, I re-filled, opened all fixtures, turned on pump, and nothing. NOT SURE, NEVER HAD TO PRIME MINE.
2. Anyone know if the flybridge grill and AC outlets should work off of the generator? I can get the AC outlets off the inverter but seems to be they should run independently of the inverter when there is generator power. The prior owner shared that when the boat was first delivered, the factory forgot to wire in the grill. He said someone came to the boat and wired it but he could never get it to turn on while on generator power. I am guessing something is wired incorrectly. CERTAINLY WOULD THINK THAT MOST PEOPLE WOULD USE WITH GENERATOR GIVEN HOW MUCH JUICE IT USES.
3. Does anyone know what fitting is needed to connect shore water? It looks like some sort of quick release on the stern. Need to find the adapter/part that will allow me to connect a regular hose. Maybe I can prime the water system that way? Also think I need the same/similar adapter for the wash down pump. I BELIEVE IT IS A STANDARD GARDENA FITTING
4. How does one activate the windshield washer? Where is the fluid reservoir? I THINK YOU HOLD DOWN ONE OF THE BUTTONS, BUT CAN DOUBLE CHECK WHEN I'M ON THE BOAT NEXT. MY RESERVOIR IS UNDER THE SEAT THAT IS JUST TO THE STARBOARD SIDE NEXT TO THE HELM CHAIR ON THE BRIDGE.
5. Does anyone have propane cooktop/oven? I brought the propane canister to be filled and it had 9.5 pounds out of 10 already. The remote switch/solenoid under flybridge stairs feels hot to the touch, perhaps its stuckm ARE YOU HAVING TROUBLE LIGHTING IT? DO YOU KNOW YOU NEED TO HOLD DOWN THE BUTTON ON THE COOKTOP FOR A FEW SECONDS BEFORE LIGHTING?

Other than that some issues including a slight steering fluid leak and it steering feels a bit weird especially at the upper helm. The pin for the fire extinguisher in the engine room appears to be in but I could not crawl to it to investigate closer. Also found a Seafire indicator led part in the drawer that was never installed that says “system charged/system discharged” - was that installed by beneteau for anyone else? Also my 16k BTU AC in the salon is throwing error “HP” - I checked strainer, need to investigate further. Have some other lower priority issues but need to get all the above figured out before a 3,000 mile journey.

THERE IS A WIRE HANGING OFF MY SEA FIRE EXTINGUISHER WITH NOTHING CONNECTED TO IT.

ON THE HP ERROR THAT IS A HIGH PRESSURE ALERT. DO A SEARCH FOR CRUISAIR (OR DOMITIC) AND "HP ERROR" AND YOU'LL FIND LOTS OF INFO.

ps. Wish they made the stateroom/head doors a couple inches higher, looks like they had the real estate, hoping i dont keep hitting my head in the middle of the night

1. How does one prime/pressurize the fresh water system? It was working fine, ran out of water despite gauge saying there was a little left, I re-filled, opened all fixtures, turned on pump, and nothing.
2. Anyone know if the flybridge grill and AC outlets should work off of the generator? I can get the AC outlets off the inverter but seems to be they should run independently of the inverter when there is generator power. The prior owner shared that when the boat was first delivered, the factory forgot to wire in the grill. He said someone came to the boat and wired it but he could never get it to turn on while on generator power. I am guessing something is wired incorrectly.
3. Does anyone know what fitting is needed to connect shore water? It looks like some sort of quick release on the stern. Need to find the adapter/part that will allow me to connect a regular hose. Maybe I can prime the water system that way? Also think I need the same/similar adapter for the wash down pump.
4. How does one activate the windshield washer? Where is the fluid reservoir?
5. Does anyone have propane cooktop/oven? I brought the propane canister to be filled and it had 9.5 pounds out of 10 already. The remote switch/solenoid under flybridge stairs feels hot to the touch, perhaps its stuck?

Did you have a survey ???????????

You have some issues.
1. Does the pump run? Did it turn itself off,is there an overload button to press?
5. It can take 30 secs+ for gas to reach the burner and ignite while the piezo lighter clicks and clicks...be patient.
ps. The anchor locker intrudes above over our fwd bed. You develop a memory after 1 or 2 strikes.
That`s it from me,good luck.

See below INLINE

Thank you for your continued insight! I am in contact with Beneteau to see how to get the items taken care of under warranty given that the local dealer and Beneteau severed their relationship the other week. I hope its not a battle.

I honestly did not inspect the shore water connection closely enough, it looked like it needed a special fitting at quick glance.

I found the manual for the windshield wipers online and looks like there are two options to engage the washer.

Regarding the propane, I did open the valve on the tank, flipped the switch in the galley, and no propane flows. I waited a minute, tried the starters, they click, even tried a lighter. Given the propane is flowing from the tank based on the pressure gauge in the locker and no propane is making it to either appliance, I have narrowed it down to the remote solenoid/regulator in the locker. I am guessing it should not be getting hot?

I may fly back to the boat one more time before the big voyage as I could use another day or two tinkering to try to fix some things myself.

Did you have a survey ???????????

Yup but didn't really need one (had to for financing) as I combed through the boat with a fine tooth comb myself that covered more than a typical survey.

The water system worked until I ran out of water the other day. The propane worked during survey. I will admit while I did power on the grill, I did not try to run it on generator power. There was no steering fluid leak present day of inspection, I saw the extinguisher pin and wires, and did have the full maintenance history which did show several repairs to the 16k btu AC unit. There were some other minor items. So I was aware of everything. Made an informed decision when I proceeded with the purchase. Boat is overall in great condition just the usual boat maintenance headaches that come with owning every boat :(

You have some issues.
1. Does the pump run? Did it turn itself off,is there an overload button to press?
5. It can take 30 secs+ for gas to reach the burner and ignite while the piezo lighter clicks and clicks...be patient.
ps. The anchor locker intrudes above over our fwd bed. You develop a memory after 1 or 2 strikes.
That`s it from me,good luck.

Yes, the pump runs and I was patient with the propane.

I only hit my head once so maybe already formed a memory. Just worried about a future drunken night. Probably too much work to install new doors that are two inches higher.

On the propane, if you hold a lighter at the stove burner with the stove on, you can usually see the flame being deflected if there is anything flowing out of the gas plumbing. If there is flame movement, then you have flow and it will just be a matter of time before the gas gets there and starts to sputter and light. If there is no flow, then something is still closed.

With the gas turned on via the gas safety system, the solenoid valve is energized, and will get warm. So a warm solenoid means an open valve (assuming it's working correctly). With tank open, and solenoid active, you should have flow detectable at the burner. If no flow, then there is another valve somewhere, or an existing valve is not opening as it should.

Hi pressure in the AC units is typically the result of poor raw water flow, or sea water that is too cold. Around 40F is the limit for a reverse cycle system, but that can vary. Check sea strainers, check for outlet flow, and next you probably need to clean the HVAC raw water loop.

On your water system, can you hear the pump running? If it's not running, then work on that. If it is running, then try cracking open the outlet side of the pump. I've seen lots of water systems with all sorts of air lock potential. If there is a loop down stream of the pump that has water trapped in it. the pump sucking and pushing on air won't be able to move it.

Does you windshield washer actually have a fluid reservoir and it's own pump? On the boats we have had, the washers have always been part of the fresh water system. So no pressurized fresh water, no windshield washers.

It sounds like you have an inverter-only setup, with outlets and grill only on the inverter. An Inverter/charger also has an AC inlet that get's energized when shore or gen power is present. That same power that activates the charger also gets passed through to power the loads. To really sort it out, you would need to know what exact equipment you have, and how it's wired.

On the propane, if you hold a lighter at the stove burner with the stove on, you can usually see the flame being deflected if there is anything flowing out of the gas plumbing. If there is flame movement, then you have flow and it will just be a matter of time before the gas gets there and starts to sputter and light. If there is no flow, then something is still closed.

With the gas turned on via the gas safety system, the solenoid valve is energized, and will get warm. So a warm solenoid means an open valve (assuming it's working correctly). With tank open, and solenoid active, you should have flow detectable at the burner. If no flow, then there is another valve somewhere, or an existing valve is not opening as it should.

Hi pressure in the AC units is typically the result of poor raw water flow, or sea water that is too cold. Around 40F is the limit for a reverse cycle system, but that can vary. Check sea strainers, check for outlet flow, and next you probably need to clean the HVAC raw water loop.

On your water system, can you hear the pump running? If it's not running, then work on that. If it is running, then try cracking open the outlet side of the pump. I've seen lots of water systems with all sorts of air lock potential. If there is a loop down stream of the pump that has water trapped in it. the pump sucking and pushing on air won't be able to move it.

Does you windshield washer actually have a fluid reservoir and it's own pump? On the boats we have had, the washers have always been part of the fresh water system. So no pressurized fresh water, no windshield washers.

It sounds like you have an inverter-only setup, with outlets and grill only on the inverter. An Inverter/charger also has an AC inlet that get's energized when shore or gen power is present. That same power that activates the charger also gets passed through to power the loads. To really sort it out, you would need to know what exact equipment you have, and how it's wired.

Thank you for insight. I will check some more things.

Regarding the inverter, it does not need to be on for outlets and grill to work while on shore power.

Thank you for your continued insight! I am in contact with Beneteau to see how to get the items taken care of under warranty given that the local dealer and Beneteau severed their relationship the other week. I hope its not a battle.

So the local dealer is saying they can still submit warranty claims to Beneteau they are no longer carrying their product though. I am concerned because they are saying I have to pay their hourly rate for technician diagnosis before they can submit a claim. Is that normal with Beneteau? I have owned under warranty boats and cars before, and have never paid for technician diagnosis. They also want a three hour minimum which seems ridiculous especially given they are one block away from the boat.

So the local dealer is saying they can still submit warranty claims to Beneteau they are no longer carrying their product though. I am concerned because they are saying I have to pay their hourly rate for technician diagnosis before they can submit a claim. Is that normal with Beneteau? I have owned under warranty boats and cars before, and have never paid for technician diagnosis. They also want a three hour minimum which seems ridiculous especially given they are one block away from the boat.

What does the Warranty say? That is Beneteau's obligation to you.

You might check strainer on pump inlet. Might have picked up some sediment from nearly empty tank and it's preventing water flow to pump inlet.
Also be sure to open a faucet to get flow... I think you said you did...if air bound it has to escape to get water flow.

What does the Warranty say? That is Beneteau's obligation to you.

I'm afraid what he will find is a need to get to a Beneteau dealer. There is likely one not too far, perhaps even the replacement of the one they dropped. Regardless, I'd call Beneteau directly as they've shown often a willingness to go the extra mile.

I don't have an actual copy of their warranty but from their website,

Beneteau offers a 3-year parts and labor warranty

Acting on your dealer’s diagnosis, Beneteau will replace all parts, deemed defective by the Beneteau technical department, for a period of 3 years following the delivery of your new boat. The warranty applies to both parts and labor, and is valid as long as you take your boat to your dealer for a full and compulsory annual overhaul at your expense.​

Also know nothing about transfer to new owner. I have a feeling the warranty has been technically invalidated at this point but that Beneteau may well assist in working the issues out. I'd call and speak honestly and very nicely, asking and not ordering, playing it soft and hoping for any recommendations or assistance they might provide.

I'm afraid what he will find is a need to get to a Beneteau dealer. There is likely one not too far, perhaps even the replacement of the one they dropped. Regardless, I'd call Beneteau directly as they've shown often a willingness to go the extra mile.

I don't have an actual copy of their warranty but from their website,

Beneteau offers a 3-year parts and labor warranty

Acting on your dealer’s diagnosis, Beneteau will replace all parts, deemed defective by the Beneteau technical department, for a period of 3 years following the delivery of your new boat. The warranty applies to both parts and labor, and is valid as long as you take your boat to your dealer for a full and compulsory annual overhaul at your expense.​

Also know nothing about transfer to new owner. I have a feeling the warranty has been technically invalidated at this point but that Beneteau may well assist in working the issues out. I'd call and speak honestly and very nicely, asking and not ordering, playing it soft and hoping for any recommendations or assistance they might provide.

Sorry but why would the warranty be invalidated? I did the transfer, its in my name, and does not expire for almost one more year...

Also, there is no other dealer within almost 1,000 miles.

Sorry but why would the warranty be invalidated? I did the transfer, its in my name, and does not expire for almost one more year...

The warranty is delivery NOT invalidated. I have the warranty I can send you via email. We could chat via phone too as I've got some experience with this.

Having the paper doesn't make it valid if you or the previous owner has defaulted in some way. Has it had the compulsory annual overhaul? If not, it's technically invalidated, assuming it reads as I quoted. Now, as I said, Beneteau isn't likely to enforce that, at least when dealing with a reasonable customer. Beneteua has shown themselves to be honorable in the instances I'm aware of. Trust they will be this time and talk to them.

Again, I'd call Beneteau about the issues and a means of resolving them. They didn't likely terminate the dealer without plans to replace them. Manufacturers will often enter into warranty service agreements with other yards too. We don't take any of our boats to the dealers. However, the yard we use is approved for warranty service on all of them.

These issues may also partially be dealer caused problems and technically not Beneteau's but I think spoken to appropriately Beneteau may well step up.

Reiterating. Contact Beneteau.

Having the paper doesn't make it valid if you or the previous owner has defaulted in some way. Has it had the compulsory annual overhaul? If not, it's technically invalidated, assuming it reads as I quoted. Now, as I said, Beneteau isn't likely to enforce that, at least when dealing with a reasonable customer. Beneteua has shown themselves to be honorable in the instances I'm aware of. Trust they will be this time and talk to them.

Again, I'd call Beneteau about the issues and a means of resolving them. They didn't likely terminate the dealer without plans to replace them. Manufacturers will often enter into warranty service agreements with other yards too. We don't take any of our boats to the dealers. However, the yard we use is approved for warranty service on all of them.

These issues may also partially be dealer caused problems and technically not Beneteau's but I think spoken to appropriately Beneteau may well step up.

Reiterating. Contact Beneteau.

If an annual inspection wasn't completed by a dealer then to reactivate the warranty an inspection will need to be performed by an authorized dealer at the owner's expense. Technically any issues that existed prior to the inspection are not covered; however, Beneteau will likely address the issues as long as they weren't the result of negligence or lack of routine maintenance.

For the record, the above does NOT apply to the warranty on the hull and overall structure, which is not dependent on the annual inspection.

Lastly, I do know that mystery is in contact with Beneteau.

Mystery, re the propane, my old IG has the bottles(with valves to open) on the FB, and an inline valve set into the saloon "ceiling" which must be opened. I second the suggestion of an extra valve somewhere in the line, probably in sight of the cooker. If you find it, be patient again.
Can you undo the hose connection TO the pump to check for water, and maybe let out any air. And loosen the hose FROM the pump, to see if with pressure relieved it will pump.

Anyone have or know where to get AC vent covers like in the attached picture? I would like to be able to lower the shade a bit more with the AC running...

Attachments

• AC air vent.jpg
    AC air vent.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 91
Easy enough! I will take a trip to HD when I get down to the boat. Thank you.

Does anyone have part #s for Onan MDKBM handy? Impeller, oil filter, fuel filter, coolant?

Any idea what fuel filters I'd need other than the ones installed on the volvos and onan?

Thanks

Easy enough! I will take a trip to HD when I get down to the boat. Thank you.

Does anyone have part #s for Onan MDKBM handy? Impeller, oil filter, fuel filter, coolant?

Any idea what fuel filters I'd need other than the ones installed on the volvos and onan?

Thanks

Alright, figured out most of the Onan parts:
Impeller 541-1519
Oil filter 185-5835
Fuel filter A026K278
Pressure cap 130-3572
Thermostat 185-6005
Thermostat gasket 185-6004
Bearings & Belt 185-6934
Anode 130-4434

Any recommendations on which oil and coolant to use? Rotella?

Anyone have Exide ER660 batteries for their House circuit? Do these need to be topped off with distilled water? I called Exide and they said no but I can open up the cap and see the metal plates and no water...

Thanks all!

Last edited:

Looks like you are getting good advice from Michael 1969 I bought a 2015 44 foot ST in January of last year. I pretty much agree with Michael 1969 on all counts. In regard to the warranty I also had it transferred. Because there is no dealer close by I have to get a third party to do the work, pay for it then send tO Beneteau So for they have been very good. I think your AC problem is an air lock right at the pump Its not a great design I have had this problem twice Not sure if you have the rest of your questions answered ? Let me know if not.

Looks like you are getting good advice from Michael 1969 I bought a 2015 44 foot ST in January of last year. I pretty much agree with Michael 1969 on all counts. In regard to the warranty I also had it transferred. Because there is no dealer close by I have to get a third party to do the work, pay for it then send tO Beneteau So for they have been very good. I think your AC problem is an air lock right at the pump Its not a great design I have had this problem twice Not sure if you have the rest of your questions answered ? Let me know if not.

Yes Michael and a few others have been tremendous in helping me!

Beneteau dropped the local dealer. The local dealer gave me the run around for weeks. I was having trouble reaching someone at Beneteau but Michael shared a contact. I now have a third party assessing the steering leak and Beneteau said they would reimburse me. Fingers crossed.

I have some other items that I will tackle next week. Hoping for the Jacksonville dealer to be able to help with any remaining items. If not, I will have the dealer up north help.

Going to start the 2,500 mile journey to bring the boat home next week. First 400 miles. Then another 1,000 miles in February and the rest in April.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom