Vexed header tank on older FL 120

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tazling

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
DARXIDE
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 32
OK, those of you who have one probably know all about this but I am just discovering it.

It seems to be impossible to find a filler cap for the header tank on an old Ford Lehman 120.

Lb0K0Jr.jpg

The cap shown here does not really fit right. You have to shove it down very hard to get it to "nearly" engage, and the flanges on the cap get bent and damaged. It barely works.

A3MExa5.jpg

This seems to be the only cap that is out there for these old tanks, though.

American Diesel sells a "re-neck" kit which extends the neck upward and allows use of a more standard cap, plus adds an overflow/reclaim sytstem -- but it sounds like quite the project to install one -- involves hacksaws and prying to break an epoxy seal, etc. -- need to take the tank off and take it home, then reinstall -- new gasket... Boat's been running fine for decades without any of that.

There are replacement tanks also but the ones I have seen look taller than the installed model and the clearance over the fwd end of the engine is pretty tight in my old GB32, I am not sure a taller tank would fit. Also they are not cheap!

So... has anyone found a coolant filler cap that actually fits? Has anyone with an old GB32 (1969) done the re-neck thing, and how onerous was it? Has anyone replaced the entire header tank and if so, did it fit and were there any issues of compatbility at the gasket etc?

My engine runs pretty cool and I am not sure whether I actually need a whole reclaim tank system... like I say, boat's been running for decades with the current setup... but would like to know what other people have done and how you have solved this problem.

I don't have one of these but I went through similar many years ago, different engine.
Is there a part number on the cap anywhere? Mfgr. ?

Who have you approached? If you are using the internet for searching as far as I am concerned you may be wasting your time. Take the cap to a GOOD parts place , older and well established so the odds are there will be an experienced parts person and with some catalogues of Stant, Gates the odds are good you will find what you need.

You will need to be able to measure the cap diameter and the depth. You may have to wait for it.

Another suggestion is to visit an industrial radiator/heat exchanger shop.

I have though found stuff through Ebay but it can take time and the use of their
notification system so you don't have to check every day. THey will send an email.

Before you write off the change to the new neck and cap from American Diesel go talk to a rad. shop and ask them how much they would charge to change the necks. With the proper tools and knowledge it may not be a big deal to them. If epoxied into place then maybe some heat will soften it. I suspect though it will be solder. Even so a good shop should be able to change the necks.

I understand the use of the internet now. I thought to look at your info. Two ferries to get to Campbell River. I get annoyed with one ferry.

However, you may have to consider that unless someone here has a cap number.

Are there any stampings on the cap indicating Mfgr. and model #.
I barely made out Mexico as origin.

Last edited:
Years ago when there was a GB forum I found this.
Expansion tank cap. Stant 10281, Gates 31307, NAPA 703-1419 all 4lb
Of the three local NAPA had one. They worked but was not happy enough so I communicated with American Diesel and they sent me 2 caps which were perfect fit.
No longer have the boat so cannot look for markings.

Before you write off the change to the new neck and cap from American Diesel go talk to a rad. shop and ask them how much they would charge to change the necks. With the proper tools and knowledge it may not be a big deal to them. If epoxied into place then maybe some heat will soften it. I suspect though it will be solder. Even so a good shop should be able to change the necks.

I understand the use of the internet now. I thought to look at your info. Two ferries to get to Campbell River. I get annoyed with one ferry.

You ain't seen ferry misery till you've seen our setup :). sometimes it takes 5 hours to get to Campbell River if the overloads are bad enough.

Anyway, thanks for the advice and I do in fact know of a pro custom radiator shop not too far away and I bet they would do a bang-up job too. But that would have to be a winter project as I don't want to disable the boat this summer, want to go out and play!

So... has anyone found a coolant filler cap that actually fits? Has anyone with an old GB32 (1969) done the re-neck thing, and how onerous was it? Has anyone replaced the entire header tank and if so, did it fit and were there any issues of compatbility at the gasket etc?

My engine runs pretty cool and I am not sure whether I actually need a whole reclaim tank system... like I say, boat's been running for decades with the current setup... but would like to know what other people have done and how you have solved this problem.

Around 15 years ago I installed the American Diesel neck conversion and overflow kit in my earlier 1979 GB42 with twin FL 120s.

I really don't remember the details but didn't find the work particularly difficult.

Given that overheating is one of the very few things that can damage a diesel engine I found the additional level of protection comforting.

The engine running cool is not a good thing either. Maybe you need to check your thermostat. What temperature does it get to?

Last edited:
Brian at American Diesel sold me a new cap two weeks ago, fits perfectly. Google American Diesel

Alan & Darina on Sea Moose

Brian at American Diesel sold me a new cap two weeks ago, fits perfectly. Google American Diesel

Alan & Darina on Sea Moose

Nice! Certainly a good option

I also recommend the American Diesel kit - it's a pretty easy job; I used a flap sander chucked into my drill to get a great sealing surface, and JB weld to epoxy the new cap in place. I think the whole job didn't take more than a couple hours for two engines. It's nice to be able to see the coolant level.

OK, those of you who have one probably know all about this but I am just discovering it.

It seems to be impossible to find a filler cap for the header tank on an old Ford Lehman 120.

Lb0K0Jr.jpg

The cap shown here does not really fit right. You have to shove it down very hard to get it to "nearly" engage, and the flanges on the cap get bent and damaged. It barely works.

A3MExa5.jpg

This seems to be the only cap that is out there for these old tanks, though.

American Diesel sells a "re-neck" kit which extends the neck upward and allows use of a more standard cap, plus adds an overflow/reclaim sytstem -- but it sounds like quite the project to install one -- involves hacksaws and prying to break an epoxy seal, etc. -- need to take the tank off and take it home, then reinstall -- new gasket... Boat's been running fine for decades without any of that.

There are replacement tanks also but the ones I have seen look taller than the installed model and the clearance over the fwd end of the engine is pretty tight in my old GB32, I am not sure a taller tank would fit. Also they are not cheap!

This happened to me returning from Mexico. It is apparently a routine and easy fix for a radiator shop. American Diesel does promote the reneck kit with the overflow system. I got that and the radiator shop fixed it right away. Go for it. Take it to the radiator shop and see what they say. I like having the overflow protection.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom