Survey/ Generator who is 1800 and who is 3600RPM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi,
3 cylinder, 1800 rpm, Yanmar 3GMD, 5.5 kw, no sound shield
hours? -- lots (no meter), but quite old.

engine designed (re: da book) for propulsion with raw water cooling,
heat probe 140f, can only find max of 160 or 165f, need 185f yo stop
alarm.
running on same keel cooler as main engine.
vibration and noise, very liveable.

Ted

Attachments

• unnamed[4] (3).jpg
    unnamed[4] (3).jpg
    23 KB · Views: 382
Northern Lights 5kw, 1800 rpm. 10 years service, 1500 hours . No problems. Quieter without a sound shield than the old Onan I removed that had one.

11.5 kva Onan. 6 months old with 120 hrs on it and she runs at 1500rpm for 50 Hz.

I have an Onan MDJE 7.5 kw paint shaker with 2500+ hours that still runs well. I do need to put some new mounts under it though to quell some of the vibes.:blush: Oh forgot to say, 1800rpm.

Kevin

A lot of Low RPM generator good ..

I notice really bing difference of noise (vibration frequency) form 1500 and 1800RPM
I really dont like high RPM get set, this is too much RPM for diesel engine.
I notice not so many hours on generators.
I love generator with Yanmar motor

Hugues

A lot of Low RPM generator good ..

I notice really bing difference of noise (vibration frequency) form 1500 and 1800RPM
I really dont like high RPM get set, this is too much RPM for diesel engine.
I notice not so many hours on generators.
I love generator with Yanmar motor

Hugues

Some diesels are happy running at 3600 rpm's. I once saw a Fischer Panda powered by a Farymann 2 cylinder diesel that had in excess of 5000 hours on it. The owner said it was an original engine and that it ran fine!
Bruce

Some diesels are happy running at 3600 rpm's. I once saw a Fischer Panda powered by a Farymann 2 cylinder diesel that had in excess of 5000 hours on it. The owner said it was an original engine and that it ran fine!
Bruce

This panda need to go to museum that the only one I head running good for 5000H:D

7.5 MDJE. Est hours of 9000. Been looking for a new one over 15 years. Keeps running strong so why replace? Also use a Honda Eu2000. 900 hours on it in two years

Wow, only three have responded with significant hours on their generators. Argues against worrying about whether a 3,600 rpm or 1,800 rpm is the better fit for most boats.

I quite like the idea of "low" genset hours. On vessels most of us are own it shows a well thought out on engine alternator, solar panels, inverters and battery system combination. We normally run the 1800 RPM genset about 1/3 of the hours as the mains. Now if I had a +70 footer carrying a crowd the genset hours would be way up there, likely matching or exceeding the mains.

Of course for those who sit at the docks the hours will be understandably "low" on both the mains and genset.

Adding solar, wind generation and changing to LEDs and Danfoss compressors on the refrigeration has cut our genset hours in half or more. Since the islands in the Eastern Caribbean are only 25 nm apart we don't "travel" much so the alternator is not a factor.

I quite like the idea of "low" genset hours. On vessels most of us are own it shows a well thought out on engine alternator, solar panels, inverters and battery system combination. We normally run the 1800 RPM genset about 1/3 of the hours as the mains. Now if I had a +70 footer carrying a crowd the genset hours would be way up there, likely matching or exceeding the mains.

Of course for those who sit at the docks the hours will be understandably "low" on both the mains and genset.

Another item of genset interest from responders would be how many hours per day it is run while at anchor, which is a function of the items Sunchaser mentions as well where the boat is used, say PNW vs in the tropics. I have two 160 amp alternators on the main engines, a 1000AH house battery bank and a 3kw inverter. On travel days, I need very little from the genset since the batteries are mostly charged. On the hook, I need about 3 hours per day to keep up with 'hotel loads'. It would be interesting to know what others' experiences are.

New Nextgen 3.5 single cylinder 1800. Vibrates a bit but not too loud. Under 100 hours. Replacing a Phasor (basically the same unit) that was in the bilge area and was trashed from corrosion and inattention.

Nextgen is out of Jacksonville, FL and have provided great live support. They make gennys from small to very large capacities. I recommend them.

New Nextgen 3.5 single cylinder 1800. Vibrates a bit but not too loud. Under 100 hours. Replacing a Phasor (basically the same unit) that was in the bilge area and was trashed from corrosion and inattention.

Nextgen is out of Jacksonville, FL and have provided great live support. They make gennys from small to very large capacities. I recommend them.

I'm pretty certain the nextgen 3.5's are all 2800 rpm and are able to run that that seemingly odd speed because they are belt driven.

I'm pretty certain the nextgen 3.5's are all 2800 rpm and are able to run that that seemingly odd speed because they are belt driven.

I stand corrected, and you are right on the 2,800 RPM speed.

Glad to hear you are happy with it. We were closely considering that unit.

Glad to hear you are happy with it. We were closely considering that unit.

Thanks I looked at Phasor (the boat has very limited space) and Nexgen. Those are the only 2 that would be direct replacements. With more space we would have had more options.

The Nexgen support and sales staff made the decision. I was going to drive to Jacksonville but they showed me how shipping was less than local taxes on the purchase. I've had to call 3 times with questions and they have always been available and very helpful.

My main engine and my gennie are almost never on at the same time. Genny only when heat or ac is needed for decent sleeping. Main with alt and inverter, and bus heater when main is on. Despite that, they have within 10% of the same hours logged. Seems I sleep about as much as I drive.

2005 new Hunter sailboat with Fisher Panda 5kw. Sold boat in 2013 with 1500 hours on it. Great service from FP. Really liked the access to the raw water impeller and the water pump shaft seal.
Purchased 2002 Nordic Tug with Northern Lights 8kw with 1200 hours. Went through the entire cooling system and Exhaust system. The only problem was a cracked radiator cap base. Easy to fix. Stainless steel exhaust elbow was still in good shape. VERY QUIET with sound shield.
Both generators were operated well with simple proper owner maintenance.
Northern Lights
IMG_1273.jpgIMG_1274.jpg

Westerbeke 8KW BTD. 1800rpm ~700 hrs. 1987 vintage. Its new to me but based on maintenance records the first generator section didn't last 3 years but hasn't needed much since then (one starter solenoid and one preheat solenoid)

The honda eu series does make me wonder if that "inverter" model where RPM is a function of load not frequency is the future.

Another item of genset interest from responders would be how many hours per day it is run while at anchor, which is a function of the items Sunchaser mentions as well where the boat is used, say PNW vs in the tropics. I have two 160 amp alternators on the main engines, a 1000AH house battery bank and a 3kw inverter. On travel days, I need very little from the genset since the batteries are mostly charged. On the hook, I need about 3 hours per day to keep up with 'hotel loads'. It would be interesting to know what others' experiences are.

Ok, since you asked... Recent 94 day cruise had 27 days anchored when mains were not started. Generator use for those 27 days totalled 5 just hours for a cloudy 2 day period, solar covered the rest.

On my previous boat a Camano 31 I had a 3600 rpm 4kw Kohler, In a factory sound shield. I never had any problem with it but the sound of it running always seems "strange" like it might explode! But never a problem. engine was a single cyl Faryman.
My Monk 36 has a 9KW Onan 1800 RPM also in a factory sound shield no problems with it either, the sound level is very low Onan has close to 900 hrs. 3 cyl Kubota engine

Ok, since you asked... Recent 94 day cruise had 27 days anchored when mains were not started. Generator use for those 27 days totalled 5 just hours for a cloudy 2 day period, solar covered the rest.

Impressive! I think you've got it figured out.

1987 Westerbeke 8.0 btd 1800 rpm, 1680 hours. Has always been dependable other than when there was a failure of a relay, solenoid or such, never anything major. At the end of the season it wouldn't start and after troubleshooting I believe the starter wasn't spinning it fast enough. I'll have it tested and rebuilt and install it in the spring.

Two Onan gens, 55kw each, with Cummins 6bt drivers, 1800 rpm. approx 14,000 hrs each.

400AH house, 100W solar (wish I had room for more) When on the hook I usually run the genny 3 hrs a day (1.5hrs AM and PM) to keep up the house bank and provide Hot Water. I could probably run it less if we had a bigger charger - the current charger is 40A. When needed, (occasionally) the genie is run all night for AC. On cruising days the need for the genny is greatly reduced due to 140amps of alternator and hot water off the port engine. Still average almost the same hrs of gen and mains over the course of a year. As our cruising evolves, this may change, but the genie only has about 450hrs on it, so we can use it a lot more than we have been. I would like to say that I've been extremely happy with the Northern Lights generator. Its quiet, smooth and no issues.

Ken

Last edited:
I have 2, 100w panels that I didnt mount.

I have 2 pigtails on the flying bridge and 2 in a waterproof receptacle under the saloon forward windows overhang.

This way I have 2 panels that can face the sun out of boat shadows all the way till the sun goes down.

The other night the battery bank was 100 percent when the sun went down, that was after 5 hours of running 2 fridges, normal electrical, TV, etc....no conservation attempted.

Would it be easier to just permanently mount them? Sure, but at anchor I have plenty of time to get them out and place them....and being nearly 100 percent effective all day long keeps my array done to 400 watts, 200 mounted and 200 that I can aim.

Next-Gen at 2800 RPM 3.5kw single cylinder Kubota. It has the sound box and is in the aft Lazzerete under the cockpit. "Is that thing running?":) Just don't try to start all the A/C powered stuff at the same time. No problems yet but it could be a rather large surge.
Considering the size and fuel burn, it might be nice to have two:smitten:

Two Westerbeke 20kw gennies at 1,800RPM. Both a little over 6,200 hours each. Both run clean and dependable.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom