Possible Lehman 120 injector pump rebuild in San Diego?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

socalrider

Guru
Vessel Name
SEA WOLF
Vessel Make
1979 CHB 41 Trawler
The port engine in my CHB 41 trawler has got me nervous. Symptoms:

1. Fort the past couple years I have had difficulty getting a consistent idle speed out of it - doesn't seem to respond to the idle adjustment screw (this is the Minnimec pump - idle adjustment is on the injector body not the throttle cables.

2. Annual injector pump oil changes show a lot of diesel fuel in the injector pump oil.

3. Fired it up to move the boat the other day and the idle speed wouldn't drop below 850rpm before I shut it down. This hasn't happened before (usually around 600 on startup, 750 when warm).

I suspect the injector pump needs a rebuild but would like other opinions. I called one place in San Diego (Advanced Diesel Injection) and they said that rebuild parts are expensive & difficult to find, minimum price would be $1850 and climb from there depending on what they found. I was hoping for $1k but this is San Diego after all...

Anyone have other recommendations? DIY? I see the sticky thread on the "Delivery Valve Seal Leak" - I'm mechanically inclined but have never torn into an injector pump.

Have you checked with the Lehman experts at American Diesel in Virginia? I had one of my twin 120 Lehman's Simms fuel pump overhauled in New Orleans in 1990 for $600. I'd say 1800 is not so bad for San Diego. You could also try the shop I use in Mobile, Test Calibration, test-calibration.com.

Gonna pull it today and bring it to the shop in SD. Too close to cruising season to risk shipping it somewhere or bodging it up myself & there could be more than just seals to replace.

I am also in San Diego and will be very interested in the outcome.

I would only caution that by the shop's initial reaction, they may not like working on "old stuff" and may not want the job. As far as I know, the only part truly not available for a Simms minimec pump is the camshaft. With your idle issues, I'd ask them to take a good look at the governor assembly for wear. Governor rebuild parts are available for the pump. Most, if not all the Simms specific parts will be coming from the UK, so there may be a bit of lead time, but the parts are out there.

I used two different shops in the Seattle area recently and wasn't super pleased with either one. Paid about $1700 for overhaul on the Simms. Most of that is in labor, the parts aren't too expensive on them. Definitely not a DIY job, it needs to be run on a flow bench when finished so they can balance each cylinder to be putting out the same fuel.

Thanks - I pulled the pump this morning and dropped it off a few minutes ago. Said they'd get a look at it most likely late this coming week.

Other option was shipping it to a shop - there are a few out there who say they can exchange for a rebuilt unit for $1100 or so (plus shipping). Hard to know which is the better option; nice to have a door I can throw rocks at here at least.

I'll keep this thread updated as I progress.

They tore it down today - barrels and seals need replacing, as to the bearings. Estimate is $2025, 8 working days including a week to get the parts.

They tore it down today - barrels and seals need replacing, as to the bearings. Estimate is $2025, 8 working days including a week to get the parts.
That's about right. A friend of mine rebuilt a couple of weeks ago the two fuel injector pumps for his GB42 twin 120 FL for $2400 each. This was in France though.

That's about right. A friend of mine rebuilt a couple of weeks ago the two fuel injector pumps for his GB42 twin 120 FL for $2400 each. This was in France though.
Good to hear. I just picked it up today and it looks fantastic. I'll try to get it installed in the next week & will report back. Very good vibes from the shop, seems like a really professional organization.

Hoping I don't need to do the starboard engine anytime soon - access is just terrible (and I'd just as soon not drop another two boat bucks...)

We have 2 135 Lehman's and so far, with about 1700hrs, not had any need for injector work.
How many hours did you have that required the work?
I have a policy on my boat. IF I do something on 1 engine, I also do it on the other. Usually you are running similar hours on both engines so my thought is if I need it on 1 side, how much longer before I need it on the other. Do them both so you aren't surprised later on in a bad situation.
Good luck.

We have 2 135 Lehman's and so far, with about 1700hrs, not had any need for injector work.
How many hours did you have that required the work?
I have a policy on my boat. IF I do something on 1 engine, I also do it on the other. Usually you are running similar hours on both engines so my thought is if I need it on 1 side, how much longer before I need it on the other. Do them both so you aren't surprised later on in a bad situation.
Good luck.
3700 hours indicated. Yeah understand the sentiment, and it could be the correct approach. On the other hand, like everything I've encountered with Lehman 120's, they seem to warn you well in advance of an actual performance issue. I'd noticed diesel in the injector pump oil that seemed to be increasing over the past several years, along with a slowly increasing fluctuation in idle RPMs. I've seen none of that on the starboard side. For all I know it could have been done by the previous owner. If I was going on a long trip I'd probably bite the bullet but for now I think I'll just wait and see. Honestly if I had another 6" of clearance outboard the starboard engine I'd probably just go ahead and do it. But I think it'll be fine.

Our 135's don't have an injector pump oil, they use the engine oil.
We were lucky that when we bought our boat in '10 she had less than 500hrs on the engines. She's an '86. Little owner involvement in fixing things.
We'll be on the Chesapeake this season doing shorter hops but hoping that no large items surface.

3700 hours indicated. Yeah understand the sentiment, and it could be the correct approach. On the other hand, like everything I've encountered with Lehman 120's, they seem to warn you well in advance of an actual performance issue. I'd noticed diesel in the injector pump oil that seemed to be increasing over the past several years, along with a slowly increasing fluctuation in idle RPMs. I've seen none of that on the starboard side. For all I know it could have been done by the previous owner. If I was going on a long trip I'd probably bite the bullet but for now I think I'll just wait and see. Honestly if I had another 6" of clearance outboard the starboard engine I'd probably just go ahead and do it. But I think it'll be fine.
SoCal did you get your fuel pump installed, if so how’s she working out for you. Would you mind posting up the shops name co tact info, or message me with it, would be much appreciated, thanks

SoCal did you get your fuel pump installed, if so how’s she working out for you. Would you mind posting up the shops name co tact info, or message me with it, would be much appreciated, thanks
Happy to!
Advanced Diesel Injection
619-232-6452

I haven't gotten it installed yet - hopefully in the next few days. Will update here.

Nice to hear that you got good service. Now that isn’t always easy to do.

Back
Top Bottom