Perkins 6.354 Maintenance questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Terrapin
Vessel Make
86 Monk36
Hi, I've had my 86 Monk 36 for just about a full season. The boat and engine have not disappointed in the least. I'm planning on a few off season projects just to help insure reliability. The engine has about 2800 hours, runs consistently at 180F I am planning on a complete cooling system hose change as they are all original except the strainer to raw water pump hose.
I found the end caps for the heat ex changer on parts 4 engines, but can not find all the other small sections of hose for the system. Does any company sell a complete set of replacement hoses? or am I going to measure, and look on Napa on-line and order each separately?
Is there a plug to drain the block? All I can see is a hex plug next to the lift pump.
Is there any need for a barnacle buster flush? Is was a salt water boat, now it is fresh.
Where can I find a filter and its location for the velvet drive? For the season I sucked the fluid out, and replaced. There must be a more thorough service.
Thanks for your help in advance. AS

I suggest getting your engine serial number and calling Trans Atlantic Diesel, they are very helpful. Take a couple pictures of your cooling system and post them here, there are a bunch of connections and components in the raw water cooling system and there is a chance that someone has altered the system at some point. On my 6.354T the raw water line diameter reduces as it works it's way through the system, seems strange to me but it is apparently the way it came from the factory. The only transmission filter in the velvet drive to my knowledge is a metal screen buried somewhere inside. The isn't much to maintain other than change the fluid annually, check the level and keep an eye out for possible failure of the oil cooler which could cause a loss of transmission fluid or water entering the transmission (when it is not running due to gravity). Pressure testing the transmission and oil cooler(s) is a good idea or just preplacing preemptively.

I replaced the expansion tank on the coolant side of my system, the heat exchanger tube bundle was pretty funky, another perkins owner here pulled his recently and it worse than mine. It may be a good idea to check the temperature of the cylinder head with a IR sensor to verify, my engine runs warmer than I would like, about 185 at a steady 1900 rpm but closer to 170 at 1600 so I have some work to do myself. I plan on barnacle buster flushing the intercooler and exhaust manifold, both of which are raw water cooled. Best of luck.

Last edited:
Block drain plugs are above the starter and on the opposite side, same spot.
180F is good.
HX end caps and gaskets are available from TAD. Hoses too.

BW trans has no external filter. Just change out the fluid at the manual recommended intervals. If you want better, run the new fluid to warm in gear and replace it a second time.
FWIW I always keep clean oil absorbent sheets under the engine to ID any early signs of leaks. Under the trans too. Its not uncommon for the shaft seals to start leaking with age with any engine. That whole area under the engine and trans is sealed off to keep oil out from the rest of the bilge.

Last edited:
I third on calling Trans Atlantic Diesel. Talk to Sherrie

Don't know if this will help here, but I replaced all the hose on my Onan a few years back. Took the various hose pieces to local NAPA and they let me dig through their shelves of hose until I found pieces that had similar radius bends, which I cut to length and replace the old pieces. Holding up well so far. just make sure they're same diameter and purpose .

It looks like others have addressed your question, except for whether or not to Barnacle Bust.

You won't know that until you pull off the hosses and end plates and look at the build up. If things look clean at the small heat exchanger tubes, you are Likely good.

If this is the first time in memory that the system had been gone through, it may be worth pulling the coolers and letting a radiator shop boil them out and pressure test them. This way they get internally and externally cleaned and pressure tested.

Thanks for all the info. I will be going back to the boat in a week and will be using a caliper to measure out the hoses. Boat comes out end of month and then I will start planning out winter/early spring projects. Would it matter if I do the barnacle buster then the hoses and raw water pump? or some other order?

"If this is the first time in memory that the system had been gone through, it may be worth pulling the coolers and letting a radiator shop boil them out and pressure test them. This way they get internally and externally cleaned and pressure tested."
AS:
In my opinion, this is the best advice so far. As this is a "new to you" boat, and you probably don't have a complete maintenance history, if this were my boat, I would do a complete off engine service of all "raw water" cooling components. This means acid cleaning at home or at the radiator shop, replacing any seals and gaskets, and most importantly PRESSURE TESTING all components. You don't want water (especially salt water - I know you operate in freshwater) where it should not be!!!
This will give you a very good "new" starting point maintenance wise. While you have everything apart, it is a good time to (as you talked about) change out all the hoses and clamps, the coolant, thermostat, and "rad" cap. Also carefully check out the exhaust elbow as they are often good looking externally but can rust through on the inside. Also, if you have an intercooler (aftercooler) on that engine, it is important that it is properly serviced, tested, and cleaned. Barnacle Buster only does so much and is only a "stop gap" and does not substitute for a complete cooling system servicing.
Tony Athens, a marine diesel guru, states that aftercooler issues and/or exhaust system issues kill more engines than anything else. Overheating can be an engine killer as well. Most of these problems can be avoided by proper preventative maintenance.
Good luck. Monk 36's are great boats!

Also carefully check out the exhaust elbow as they are often good looking externally but can rust through on the inside.

See above. Also really good advice otherwise missing from the thread!

Btw, which model of Perkins 6.354 are we talking about?

Back
Top Bottom