New cable controls lengths...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Osprey69

Vessel Name
Rogue
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 49 MY
I am replacing the throttle and tranny cables for a 1985 49 Gulfstar with CAT 3208s. Short of pulling the old (leaving a tracer line behind), measuring and then ordering, is there a way of measuring the current cables to order now and use the old cable to route the new cable?

Hopeful, but doubtful, the cables are labeled. I will check this weekend.

While I am at it...suggestions as to cable choices?

I did find great links here for removal and installation.

(lots of outboard cable info out there, not so much inboard).

Thanks is advance.

The cables are usually stamped with the size. For SeaStar it is often on the plastic sheath with a several inches of the end and is the last bit of the art number, e.g. xxxx-030.

Inboards almost universally use what's commonly called a 33c or a 3300 cable.
3" of travel, 10:32 threads at the ends. As gkesden said, the part number often ends in the length heat stamped into the jacket near one or both ends of the cable. On some models the length is in inches. The jacket colors used to designate the manufacturer, but consolidation in the Industry has ended that.
The standard is the 33c made by Teleflex now Sea Star, Morse now Sea Star, U-Flex an import, and Kobelt, commercial grade plus some other brands. The Sea Star Xtreme cables are the high performance version of the "standard." These are a good option.

SeaStar Solutions

:socool:

Attachments

• 33c markings.png
    33c markings.png
    42 KB · Views: 71
When you finally purchase the new cables , buy 2 of each.

Then install both at the same time , should "stuff"happen the change over to the in place spare may save the day.

Although they require softer bends the series 43 cables are far more robust, but cost more.

When you finally purchase the new cables , buy 2 of each.

Then install both at the same time , should "stuff"happen the change over to the in place spare may save the day.

Although they require softer bends the series 43 cables are far more robust, but cost more.

Rather than installing 2 (because the second might be corroded and frozen by the time you would need it) pull a small diameter nylon line into the chase along with the new cable.
Then you'll be ready if a replacement is needed, or if you need to pull wires thru for something.

Several years ago when I replced the cables in my Albin (as a PM project) I got the cables on Amazon.

On the same subject, is there any service that can be done on existing cables? My Morse throttle controls are getting stiff and are not as smooth as they should be.

"On the same subject, is there any service that can be done on existing cables? My Morse throttle controls are getting stiff and are not as smooth as they should be."

Your local motorcycle shop should have a cable lube kit that puts oil in the housing.
Some folks worry in really cold weather it makes cables require more force.

Plan B is to get a funnel and use green antifreeze at the top of the cable.

It will mostly run out but will leave a green slime that usually frees and lubes the cable.

On the same subject, is there any service that can be done on existing cables? My Morse throttle controls are getting stiff and are not as smooth as they should be.

When we owned a Trojan, I was a member of the Trojan forum, guess I still am a member. There were directions on that forum on how to lube a control cable. It used Marvel Mystery Oil. They used a Shrader valve and a short piece of hose. Took a certain amount of oil based on cable length, don’t recall the specific amount, and then put the hose with the oil in it onto the top of the control cable and pressurized the cable to push the oil down the cable. Several people said it worked as long as the cable wasn’t physically damaged. Maybe search the Trojan users group.

FF what type of oil would be used?

Anything thin , but nor sewing machine oil , as it haswax in it.

MM oil is just #1 diesel with an additive to change the smell.

Caviat Emptor.

Back
Top Bottom