Hose clamps????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SIBERNUT

Guru
I have a situation that calls for hose clamps, deck fuel fill. Zero access from below, and common hose clamps wont go thru hole from top. Aside from buying a Ban-dit tool for one job, suggestions? Pex clamps dont come 2" but would be perfect.
Dont really want to grind hole bigger.

Are you going to be able to tighten the clamp when you get it in place?

Pull the fill and hose out, wrangle your clamps below deck while the hose isn't there, then slide the hose clamps into hole, put clamps where you need them and tighten.

Sounds easy right?

I have a situation that calls for hose clamps, deck fuel fill. Zero access from below, and common hose clamps wont go thru hole from top. Aside from buying a Ban-dit tool for one job, suggestions? Pex clamps dont come 2" but would be perfect.
Dont really want to grind hole bigger.

Pex type clamps do some in bigger sizes like 2". Google Oetiker: 15500040-100, for instance.

You could take the fill fitting and hose to an industrial supply that makes up air and hydraulic hoses. They can install low profile band clamps for you.

If you can remove the hose through the deck hole, I would carry it and the deck fill fitting to a hydraulic shop. I'm sure they can apply a pex style clamp.

Ted

I see Bmarler beat me to the solution.

Not sure the Pex clamps meet the ABYC recommendations. The part about corrosion resistance equal to 300 series S/S and they must be reusable. The problem is that if you use non approved clamps it may show up on a survey and then the insurance company may make you fix it. Do some more research before you do it.

Hose Clamps on Diesel Fuel Systems
NOTE: Some USCG Type A hose is not designed to be clamped.

Flexible hose shall be equipped with permanently installed end fittings, such as a swaged sleeve or a sleeve and threaded insert, or may be secured with corrosion resistant metallic clamps.

Flexible hose not equipped with permanently attached end fittings, such as swaged sleeve and threaded insert, shall be attached with corrosion resistant metallic clamps.

Clamps depending solely on the spring tension of the metal shall not be used.

Clamps shall be installed to impinge directly on the hose and shall not overlap each other.

Clamps shall be beyond the flare or bead, or fully on serrations where provided, and at least 1/4" (6 mm) from the end of the hose.

Hose used in the fuel tank fill system shall be secured to pipes (smooth pipes acceptable), spuds or other fittings at each connection, by at least two corrosion resistant metallic clamps with nominal band widths of at least 0.5" (12 mm).

Hose connections used in the fuel tank vent system or the fuel distribution and return line system shall have at least one corrosion-resistant metallic clamp with a minimum nominal band width as indicated in the table below.

All components of hose clamps shall have a resistance to corrosion equal to or greater than 300 series stainless-steel.

Hose clamps shall be reusable.

Hose clamps shall be corrosion resistant metallic clamps with nominal band widths of at least 0.5" (12 mm)
Hose-Clamps-Table2

Appreciate the info. As i said, there is NO access from below. They are in a "pipe" or something, i can't even SEE the hose clamps
I got thr fill out with 2 crowbars, which left the hose and clamps to drop out the "pipe". So if some surveyor or other interested party wants to critique it, well you give it hell & ill watch. I have approved fuel hose to replace it with.
The hydraulic shop thing is a good. Idea. Tks!

Can you put in a screw out access port?

Upper 10" or so is inside a structural part of side deck, has a rubber sleeve in it. Going to try putting on traditional hose clamps & see if there is a certain spot where they will go in. If not, I called a Hyd shop & they can ban-dit.
TKS!

Why are you fighting making the hole bigger? Don't just make it bigger, make it a lot bigger like with a lift off access plate. You really should inspect the top of your fuel tank once in a while anyway.

pete

Buy a tool called clamp tite. Makes flush clamps out of Ss wire. Works well you can put two of these on in the same space as a single worm gear type clamp and they hold Not cheap but you need seldom buy another hose clamp ever. Good tool. Well made They make two sizes. Get the kit with both and a spool of wire. Will last a long long time.

Buy a tool called clamp tite. Makes flush clamps out of Ss wire. Works well you can put two of these on in the same space as a single worm gear type clamp and they hold Not cheap but you need seldom buy another hose clamp ever. Good tool. Well made They make two sizes. Get the kit with both and a spool of wire. Will last a long long time.
Looked this up on YouTube and bought it. Very, very cool tool. 70 dollars.

I had 3 aboard when I sold Flying Pig; the big one I used to mount my outboard engine racks, using the arch as the support (largest wire); I did ALL of my hoses initially with their smallest (T-handle tightener). NO protrusion in the end...

https://clamptitetools.com/
But you'll want this one: https://www.amazon.com/Clamptite-CLT01-Stainless-Aluminum-Bronze/dp/B00XWLDZC4

The larger one uses a nut; I had an early version with a SS nut which spalled, so they gave me another with what is now standard - for that reason - bronze nut. The smaller ones are now also available in wing-nut tightening over anodized aluminum tube for less demanding jobs...

https://www.amazon.com/CLT05-Clamptite-Plated-Aluminum-Wingnut/dp/B00XWK7SNC

Be sure to use the highest grade SS wire, or Monel, however, if you've ever had a SS clamp rust; these can also rust...

It looks like a good tool, but wouldn't it be non-compliant with ABYC regulations since the clamps are not reusable. I'm not sure why they demand that, except maybe to have us use clamps that are immediately reusable in an emergency.

I would be concerned about the wire cutting into the hose. Don’t know if they would but the compression would be in a much smaller area on the hose than with a standard clamp. I don’t even like the open threads on a cheap clamp because they can cut a hose. I like the solid band with the rolled edges like AWAB or ABA clamps.

I resolved the problem. I was able to cut an access hole in a panel to reach them. Alongside the emergency Whale pump at the helm.

Silicone style worm hose clamps have a extra wrap of metal to not dig into your hose.

Need help with 110v motor

I don't want to clutter the forum with non boat stuff. Anyone that can help pls PM me. Tks!

Back
Top Bottom