Fuel filler question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Comodave

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Black Dog
Vessel Make
Formula 41PC
I am preparing to replace one of my fuel tanks this winter. As part of the prep, I am getting a fuel transfer pump ready to empty the tank. I tried sticking a 3/4”
and a 1/2” PVC pipe down the fuel filler neck. They hit something metal at about the top of the tank and won’t go any further down into the tank. I even tried a 1/4” fiberglass rod and it wouldn’t go any further into the tank. Has anyone ever seen some type of metal screen at the filler neck on the top of the tank? The filler at the deck does not line up with the filler neck on the tank, it is about 3/4” out of being straight. I know a lot of people use a dip stick to check the fuel level so I assumed that I would be able to stick a dip tube down into the tank and pump out the fuel. Any thoughts???

Instead of trying to put a tube down the filler, can you disconnect the feed line and hook the pump up there?

I can probably do that but it will really slow the pump down due to the size of the supply lines. The pump will support a 1” intake but I don’t think that I can get a 1” down the filler. I hope to get a 3/4” pipe down the filler. I have to find my inspection camera and see if it will go down the filler and see it I can tell what is stopping the dip tube. I have about 140 gallons to transfer so I would like it to go as fast as possible. Also I think it would be a lot less messy if I can use a dip tube rather than the supply lines.

I can't imagine any kind of screen at the bottom of the fill hose. Can you just remove the fill hose from the nipple (or cut it) at the top of the tank?

Yes, lots of folks "stick" their tanks. This is difficult or impossible if there's too much bend in the fill tube between the deck fitting and the tank. My forward tank has too much "S" curve in the fill, but the after tank is a straight shot.

I can’t imagine a screen there either, but the dip tube is hitting metal. The filler on the deck and the fill pipe on the tank are just a bit out of line. Head scratcher...

It might be hitting the lip of the lip of thr pipe welded to the top of the tank. You might try tapering the end of the pipe on a 45 degree angle to get it past the lip.

The other options is to take 3/4" pipe and cut the end on a steep angle (several inches from point to full pipe) and slide it into the tank while rotating it. If it clears the obstruction, you could possibly slide a small pipe inside it.

Ted

The obstruction may come from the fabrication technique. If the manufacturer drilled an 1.25" hole in the tank and then set a 1.5" ID pipe on top of the tank and welded it on for the fill pipe, there could be a .125" lip on the inside of the connection point. That fabrication technique is a poor design, but easier to fabricate and probably insignificant for fuel flow in a fuel tank.

Ted

If you are removing the tank, can you just hole saw an opening on a side just above the fuel level?

Taking heat and spark measures of course....

But.....

I would try right at the tank filler pipe with the hose removed first....next....then cut off the filler neck...then the hole in the side if I didn't wsnt to try the slow method through the fuel supply line.

Last edited:
Might be a baffle in the way. Try to get a fuel hose past it. If successful buy a larger dia hose. I think the fuel supply will end up being the quickest way. My Holley red polishing pump is rated at 100 gph.

Note there may be a few gallons of unreachable fuel that can't be accessed via supply valve.

The obstruction may come from the fabrication technique. If the manufacturer drilled an 1.25" hole in the tank and then set a 1.5" ID pipe on top of the tank and welded it on for the fill pipe, there could be a .125" lip on the inside of the connection point. That fabrication technique is a poor design, but easier to fabricate and probably insignificant for fuel flow in a fuel tank.

Ted

Winner, winner chicken dinner! Finally found my inspection camera and looked into the filler. There is a small lip around the edge. Cut a 15 degree angle on the CPVC 3/4” pipe and it went right down to the bottom. I never thought about a lip around the top of the tank but you guys came through again. Gotta love TF.

Very clever Ted! I was thinking it was catching on the pipe on top of the tank but couldn’t come up with a way around it. Cutting the pickup tube at an angle is genius.

Yes, it was certainly clever and more importantly it worked!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom