Diesel in my fuel injection pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One unrelated tip since I saw on YouTube that your port engine oil was low. You cannot trust the factory low mark on the lipstick. Based upon the actual installation angle of the engine many owners (myself included) have found that if you fill it to that full mark it just pukes oil out until it gets back to what is an actual normal "full" level. Then if you are not actually burning oil it likely will remain at that level for a long time. Perhaps even until your next oil change. I wouldn't be quick to add more oil if it is just at the low mark on the lipstick. Just check frequently and only add more if the level keeps dropping further. I am sure there are other threads with better descriptions of this phenomenon.
i added no oil to the engine just to the injector pump

Last edited:
On the oil side of the injector pump

Hard to believe the engine ran at all with that much fuel leaking internally and not getting to one or more injectors properly.

Hard to believe the engine ran at all with that much fuel leaking internally and not getting to one or more injectors properly.

Not only did the motor run but it did run a little rough,, once I cleaned it all out and put fresh oil in and put the new boat in the motor sounded completely normal again we'll have to see how that goes now

I will be waiting to see what happens next, but a gallon of fuel going through the injection pump is a new one on me and pretty much never saw anything close posted here before.

Good luck!

I'm trying to raise funds to replace it since even though I'm told i should be OK.. i don't want to take the risk because we sail daily and can't afford to be broken down worth one engine.. i will keep pepole updated as in going to take it out the slip and run it hard for 30 minutes to see where the fuel is now going to go now that's its all sealed in line it should be...

/QUOTE]

As a few people posted, if a gallon of fuel leaked out of the injection pump and you didn't fix that, only the overflow bolt...then you still have a major problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
An update from a very experienced source of marine info, especially engines....

"" i will keep pepole updated as in going to take it out the slip and run it hard for 30 minutes to see where the fuel is now going to go now that's its all sealed in line it should be..."

That gallon will probably find its way out of the pump and into the crankcase through the seal that blows out from the buildup of internal pressure."

The Simms injector pump came with a breather/overflow from the oil resovoir.
So when the fuel fills to overflow level out it comes.

As Grand Illusion stated, there is a banjo fitting on the side of the pump with a tube that will drain excess oil, or diesel that has mixed with the oil, into the pan under the motor. If that tube is clear and not clogged, no pressure will build up inside the pump. There is no seal between the injector pump and the motor on these engines. No way for the injector oil to mix with the engine oil. I would advise you to do as previously suggested and have that breather tube drain into a container so that you can monitor whatever diesel might be making its way through the pump. If that container remains empty, your leak is from somewhere else besides the pump.

edit: beat me to it SteveK

For Vanduseen....

I think the part you are missing from what others are asking and saying is that the gallon of diesel that came out of the injection pump oil level check hole somehow found its way into the case of the pump when none should be in there. So somehow diesel is leaking out of the areas in the pump where it's supposed to be, and ending up in the case where it's not supposed to be. And eventually it overflows out and results in a bunch of fuel under the engine. This problem won't fix itself.

I would try a WOT test on the engine underway to see if it gets anywhere near full RPM, what, about 2450? My guess is it will not reach rated RPM.

Grand Illusion.............I see you are in the Seattle area. Where did you have your pump rebuilt? Thanks

@new2trawl, lets take that conversation to PMs. I wasn't happy with either of two diesel shops I dealt with in the local area for different reasons, but I don't think it's particularly helpful to openly criticize any business in a forum post that becomes a snapshot in time. Things change, for better or worse over time.

Not only did the motor run but it did run a little rough,, once I cleaned it all out and put fresh oil in and put the new boat in the motor sounded completely normal again we'll have to see how that goes now

Hey Marshall... this problem sounds familiar... :D:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom