Crazy engine drive screw up that could have been a disaster.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RickyD

Guru
Vessel Name
Aquarius
Vessel Make
Californian 55 CPMY
So, a few weeks ago my starboard engine would not start. No click no nada. Hours of tracing brought us to the micro switch that only allows the engine to start in neutral. Fixed it, tested it all good. Also bought a new micro for the port engine but not installed. Ok, now the rest of the story. This morning, early, I was moving the boat to the pump out dock alone. Started both engines, pushed off bow, then stern (I'm on an end tie), climbed up to the bridge and noticed I had started the engines in forward gear and both started. Ok so lets put them in neutral, oops that is now reverse. Forward = neutral. neutral = reverse. Crap now I'm scrambling down to the swim step to fend off the end tie behind me. Lucky there was very little wind or current and I successfully pushed off. Now I'm drifting out into the harbor thinking "crap, this is bad". So, I turn off the port engine, but the stop switch for the Stb engine does not work. Ok, down into the engine room to manually stop it. Then back to the bridge. Put both gears into neutral. Restart. Ok, neutral. Go forward, ok. What the hell happened???? Stopped the engines at the pump out dock. Did the pump out, then started and ran both engines normally. Back to my slip. I had to run home so all I was able to do was confirm that a wire had pulled off the stb stop switch. I have 1990 vintage Cat 3208s with Hynautic controls and Glendinning synchro. I recently confirmed I had the appropriate level of fluid in the system and it was pumped up to the recommended pressure. What the hell happend???

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom