Cat lubes, filters and coolants vs Delo and others

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Pacific Myst
Vessel Make
West Bay 4500
3208 naturals in a Californian 42 LRC, I don´t push them very hard.

I´m looking for well informed opinions and experience using cat lube and coolant vs Delo? And cat filters vs Baldwin filters?

Cat Lube oil vs Delo 400?
The P.O. ran Cat lube in them. It´s time for an oil change. I´ve run Delo 400 in a Cat D379, DD 271 and Isuzu 4BD1 engines for many thousands of hours without any problems. I´m thinking these old Cats will be just fine switching to Delo.

Cat lube filters vs Baldwin lube filters?
The P.O. ran cat filters on them. Like my question regarding Delo above I´ve run thousands of hours on Baldwin filters without any problems.

Cat coolant vs Chevron coolant?
I had the heat exchangers off after purchasing the boat, the mechanic refilled the system with Chevron coolant.

Engine mounted fuel filters?
Racor filters fitted between the tank and engines.
Stay with Cat or switch to Baldwin?

Cat gear oil vs Delo?
Twin disc MG502. On the Cat D370 with a twin disc MG 530 I ran Delo 100 for thousands of hours without problems.

The reason to switch from Cat products is the ease of getting the Delo vs the Cat products where I live.

Filters are another matter, I can easily have any brand of filters shipped in. I mentioned Baldwin because that´s what I used in my working life. If you know of a brand the NAPA stocks that will perfrom as well as the cat filters that would be great.

Oil wise, anything of the right spec and good quality should do the job just fine. Same story with trans fluid. For oil filters, the OE filters are usually good, but there are often others that are as good or better. Baldwin makes good filters, so I wouldn't hesitate to use them.

Coolant wise, as long as it's the right type / spec, I wouldn't worry about who made it.

I'd be a little more cautious about fuel filters, at least unless you can confirm the filtration specs, etc. are truly identical on the brand you want to run vs OE.

Thanks for the input. My thinking is the same. Regarding baldwin fuel filters vs Cat I'll contact a Baldwin rep I trust from my working days..

Oil wise, anything of the right spec and good quality should do the job just fine. Same story with trans fluid. For oil filters, the OE filters are usually good, but there are often others that are as good or better. Baldwin makes good filters, so I wouldn't hesitate to use them.

Coolant wise, as long as it's the right type / spec, I wouldn't worry about who made it.

I'd be a little more cautious about fuel filters, at least unless you can confirm the filtration specs, etc. are truly identical on the brand you want to run vs OE.

I also have a Californian (a 34, not a 42) with 3208na power. I've used Baldwin filters for years with no issues. I've also used them extensively on diesel pusher motorhomes and trucks with no issues. I have no problems with them and will continue to use them as they are a quality filter, easily accessible, and reasonably priced.

I also use Delo oil for my Cats (and have for years on all types of older diesels) with no issues.

I use non-Cat branded coolant as well.

Regarding the Twin Disc 502 transmissions, Check your manual as they call for straight 30 or 40 weight (no detergents and no multi-viscosity).

Additional can be found here: https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s6/servicing-twin-disc-mg-502-a-28838.html

You asked for "well-informed" opinions. I don't have a degree in any of this stuff so I can only tell you what I've done and what has worked for me.

Good luck!

I'd dare say the 3208s have seen every decent oil out there, with Rotella and DELO common. Chevron and Cat have been officially joined at the hip for most coolants and diesel oils for over half a century. Many smaller Cat engines since the early 2000s are made by Perkins but painted yellow. So many choices. :confused:

Some Cat engines are Cat lub specific for performance and longevity in very cold climates. Many industrial Cat engines use Cat or approved products for warranty coverage. Your Cat certified shop will know for sure.

Last edited:
Your well formed opinion is what I'm looking for. Real world experience using non cat brand on cats. Thank you.

I also have a Californian (a 34, not a 42) with 3208na power. I've used Baldwin filters for years with no issues. I've also used them extensively on diesel pusher motorhomes and trucks with no issues. I have no problems with them and will continue to use them as they are a quality filter, easily accessible, and reasonably priced.

I also use Delo oil for my Cats (and have for years on all types of older diesels) with no issues.

I use non-Cat branded coolant as well.

Regarding the Twin Disc 502 transmissions, Check your manual as they call for straight 30 or 40 weight (no detergents and no multi-viscosity).

Additional can be found here: https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s6/servicing-twin-disc-mg-502-a-28838.html

You asked for "well-informed" opinions. I don't have a degree in any of this stuff so I can only tell you what I've done and what has worked for me.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom