Old 12-16-2019, 06:23 PM   #21

City: Portage
Vessel Name: Sir Tugley Blue
Vessel Model: 2010 Nordic Tug - 2010
Antifreeze analysis

Cummins has an antifreeze test strip package that will tell the user whether the antifreeze falls within its specification. It does not give a Yes No answer since it measures several variables based on comparison with a color chart. So long as each variable falls within the range you are good to go. With 1800 hours, each variable is still midrange.

Senojev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 06:15 PM   #22

City: Calumet Harbor, Chicago
Vessel Model: Tugs / Tow Boats
The salt may be molybdate... a mix of molybdenum and oxygen.

I rebuilt a Cummins in-line about 4 months ago and started to get water in my oil. I guessed it was from one of the liners because I was getting no oil in the water too and dropped the pan to find it thinking it was an o-ring damaged while installing the liners.

I plugged my keel cooler lines then pressurized the cooling system to 10 psi, put a mirror underneath the engine and waited... sure enough #2 liner was leaking. When I pulled the liner it had pitted soooo bad like I’ve never seen before, and in only four months!

Turned out to be from molybdate. Had to pull all 6 liners and replace them. Now I use Fleetguard DCA4 additive and check it with the test strips.

Was told that with Cummins and Caterpillar engines you have to watch that.

Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 11:04 PM   #23

City: Bella Bella
Vessel Name: Tenacious
Vessel Model: Uniflite 31 FB Sedan
A TDS tester will provide a quick, direct and decisive answer whether there is sea water in the cooling system. A pressure tester will provide a direct and decisive answer whether there is a leak in the cooling system. A leak between coolant and sea water will always cause some net loss of coolant. Unless there are recent tests and records, glycol concentration isn't a decisive indicator, and even if so, it's not a direct indicator. If it was me, I'd use the pressure test in any case, by the time all is said & done, because it's predictive. But a TDS tester can be had cheap and may later be handy.

When servicing heat exchangers with removable tube bundles sealed with o-rings, tighten the end caps evenly, a bit each end back and forth. Don't trust the bosses in the end caps to insure alignment.
Old 12-24-2019, 09:35 AM   #24
Guru

City: Deltaville
Quote:
When servicing heat exchangers with removable tube bundles sealed with o-rings, tighten the end caps evenly, a bit each end back and forth. Don't trust the bosses in the end caps to insure alignment.
When tightening end caps be very careful, the domed caps will crack very easily if over-tightened.