Another Exhaust Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Propnut

Vessel Name
Voyager
Vessel Make
41' PT Europa
The wet exhaust on my old engine was 15’ of 5” hose from the mixer to the transom. Would three be any advantage of using Fiberglass tube on the long straight run rather than hose??
What’s being used in most trawlers??
Thanks for your input

Fiberglass tube has no better temp rating than black exhaust hose and less than blue silicone hose. If your mixer/exhaust system is working right, you don't need to worry about temps of your exhaust hose. The normal black stuff works fine.

Also connecting fiberglass tubing usually means a piece of hose at both ends and T-Bolts, a needless complication.

So, stick with black hose.

David

Last edited:
If it is a perfectly straight shot, I guess fiberglass would be better but I bet when you actually run a string or plumb line you will find out it does some bends or dips. Mine is about that length but the route would not allow rigid pipe. I see nothing wrong with hose as long as it is well clamped and inspected occasionally.

pete

My setup from the factory after the water lift mufflers is a fiberglass elbow, a long fiberglass tube and then the transom exhaust ports, all joined with short pieces of heavy rubber exhaust hose.

Either one is fine, just depends on what you can get in there.

Mine from the factory is a combination of hose and 8'' fiberglass pipe.

Hose is fine, pipe is fine. Not easy to get a 8' piece of pipe into an existing boat, it does not like to bend around obstructions when fitting.

Hose is fine, pipe is fine. Not easy to get a 8' piece of pipe into an existing boat, it does not like to bend around obstructions when fitting.

Very true. Although if the pipe run is a straight shot from the transom exhaust ports, removing the port on the transom may provide a just-big-enough hole to slide the pipe in through.

Pipe being smooth has less restriction than reinforced hose, but it would have to be all pipe to make a difference.

Back
Top Bottom