Albin Velvet Drive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish53

Guru
Vessel Name
Ana
Just wondering if anyone knows the reduction ratio of the Velvet Drive in a 1980 Albin 36?

It's a 71c/10-17 but the plate is missing.

Its probably in the 2-2.5 range but if the plate is missing then you really don't know. One possible way to find out is to use a photo tach on both the engine and the output shaft. While cruising along, "shoot" the engine speed and then the shaft speed.

They aren't cheap but maybe you have one or want one or have a friend who has one. Harbor freight sells one for $40. Don't know the quality, They usually sell for ~$100.

Ken

That's probably the route I need to go, or I can wait until I haul out next month and can see what pitch and diameter my wheel is and work back from there. I have two spare Velvet Drives at home, a 71c 1.88 to 1 and a 72c 2.57 to 1, it would be nice if I accidentally had a spare on hand. I guess I could ask what pitch and diameter props others are using?

Its probably in the 2-2.5 range but if the plate is missing then you really don't know. One possible way to find out is to use a photo tach on both the engine and the output shaft. While cruising along, "shoot" the engine speed and then the shaft speed.

They aren't cheap but maybe you have one or want one or have a friend who has one. Harbor freight sells one for $40. Don't know the quality, They usually sell for ~$100.

Ken

Some things from HF are great value... some not so much. I bought the digital tach there. It worked really well the first few times I used it, then was consigned to the recycling as it quit altogether.
Don't expect to get more than what you pay for.

Or bar the engine over and measure the tranny output flange change.

May have to do several revolutions to get more accuracy.

I tried that but only had an 18" crescent wrench and nothing to extend with, must be getting weak in my later years, or have good compression.

Or bar the engine over and measure the tranny output flange change.

May have to do several revolutions to get more accuracy.

Can't do that with a Velvet Drive. They're hydraulically engaged, so if the engine isn't running, there's no pressure and it won't go into gear regardless of what you do with the shifter.

Can't do that with a Velvet Drive. They're hydraulically engaged, so if the engine isn't running, there's no pressure and it won't go into gear regardless of what you do with the shifter.

Oops sorry.....

These laser pointer photo tachs can be had from Ebay for $15 to $20. They are accurate and will last long enough to do the job.
Just raise the engine rpm to somewhat over 1,000 rpm or the engine may actually bounce enough to cause an inaccurate enough reading to sort out the revs. The meter will read that bounce.

Photo tachometer is the way to go. I had a boat with a gear specifically stamped 2.5 to 1. When I measured it with a tach things didn’t jibe. I called the company that sold the gear and they said that they are always changing ratios. Sometimes they forget to change the stamp.:facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom