Hull design question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sleder

Im looking at a OA 430 Classico Pilothouse it doesnt have stabilization. The owner said this hull doesnt required it with this design. Im attaching 2 photos of the hull on the hard

Attachments

• port side hull.jpg
    port side hull.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Rear view.jpg
    Rear view.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 36
Tollycraft hulls had similar designed dual angle/sloped double edge chines. As I recall, that design lasted for a couple years before Tollycraft manufacturing returned to single edge chine. Ed Monk Sr. was [who I believe] designed that into Tolly hulls. According to some posts on the now many years defunct Tollycraft website it was often not appreciated due to increasing beam roll in waves while a at anchor as well as hull-slap noise being bothersome for sleep at night.

I clearly remember photos of Tolly owners' boats being worked on at boat yards having their double edge chine fiberglass-filled to regain a single edged chine.

Don't know if OA 430 pictured in post 1 would experience same conditions. Maybe yes! / Maybe no!

Last edited:
If this hull design could magically do away with the need for stabilizers, Nordhaven and others would have copied it. They could easily raise the price of the boat buy $50,000 and customers would think it was a bargain.

I have an OA and it is stabilized. It makes a big difference.

You need to appreciate that the Seller is giving you his opinion based on how he used the boat and what was important to him. His opinion is not fact.

tiltrider1

tiltrider1

I think youve provide the right perspective on whether to move forward or not. Agreed if it were the magic answer all the high end manufacturers would have simply done this themselves.
Thank you!

The curved chine would cause drag that would decrease roll. Yes but a small amount. How small? Anybody’s guess or opinion.

And there is to consider the loss of hull volume at the chines. Loss of some small amount of chine volume resisting roll would have the effect of reducing beam .. again to some very small amount but likely to increase roll motion .. small.

The increased drag from increased wetted surface would dampen roll .. but again in small amounts.

All effects being small .. small .. small …

But this chine would probably dampen roll .. to a very small amount.

Uniflite and several other boat manufacturers in the 60’s and 70’s had very much the same design. Unlike the Classico hull they had vertical sides just above the chine break. There was a very small curve at lthe lower chine break. So as far as I know this Classico hull is different. But the end result may be that the curve pulls the aft end of the boat down .. as in “squat”. And that would be mostly a negative … IMO.

Last edited:
Simple answer is NO . All boats roll. Just purchased a 61 Nordlund. I came from a sport fish with a seakeeper. We now have fins. On you shopping check list, If you are a serious boater trying to make time on the water, you need stabilization or you will just ride the dock.
An example , we were making our run up from Florida and the first knight at 3 pm we ran into 8' seas. Not in the forecast or the wave reports. It made the ride in bearable and much safer, We still lost a tv and the salon was trashed. I'm sure if we hit that without stabilization I would never get my wife in the ocean again.

Long and short of it if you boat shopping just look for one with fins or a seakeeper. if you can find with a seakeeper jump on it. I had both, gyros work a anchor and fins doe not.

Be an informed buyer.
My recent purchase 61 Nordlund
my check list.
REPOWERED
fishing cockpit
NEWER ELECTRONICS
Fins or seakeeper.

Back
Top Bottom