Guest drinking underway - what's your rule?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvweebles

Guru
Vessel Name
Weebles
Vessel Make
1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Someone on another thread mentioned they do not allow passengers to drink while underway --- period. When I was delivering, I had a zero-tolerance policy for anyone aboard (including owners - was in my contract).

But when hosting friends for a day out on the water, while my wife and I won't drink while underway, I don't care what my friends do as long as no one gets sloppy drunk. As a matter of fact, hard to imagine a nice afternoon watching Blue Angels; or 4th of July fireworks, etc. without some libation.

So what is your policy about drinking underway? Zero tolerance? Moderation? Other?

Peter

Is it still a cocktail cruise if there is no alcohol?

Underway to a cruising destination, passage, delivery etc. we do not imbibe. That's not to say if we arrive and tie up or drop the hook that a beer isn't warranted. We do watch guests to make sure no one goes to excess to be a danger to the boat or the crew. My limit on a day when I might have a beer would be two, and I feel comfortable that were a situation arise later such as a wind event I would be up to the task to deal with the situation. That being said I would not partake if I knew there was a weather event forecast that could cause issues.
HOLLYWOOD

I follow the same rules as I do ashore.

No excessive drinking around me, either place.

After a lifetime of boating with guys who drink underway and handle themselves, their boats and emergencies better than many sober skippers and guests I've come across....so no "zero tolerance" in my activities unless I am a paid captain.

Operators need to stay under the legal limit......

Operators need to stay under the legal limit......

Is there an open-container law for boating as there is for drivng a car? Or is that by location? I realize BAC levels are enforced, and points assessed to your land-based driving record, but can you legally drink and drive a boat as long as you're under the BAC level (typically, 0.08%)?

Peter

The only rule I have is no drinking while on watch or during the 4 hours preceding. We have never had a problem caused or exacerbated by alcohol. But, my guests (guys I fish with on multi-day trips) are responsible. For cocktail cruises the guest list is a little different and often includes people who I don't know well enough to be confident that they won't be a problem, so I hire a paid captain and mate (I have never had a problem with any prospective captain telling me no drinking permitted -- that would not have worked out). On a few occasions, some people have had more than they should, but no one attempted to interfere with the operation of the boat or did anything else crazy so even then no real problems.

Greetings,
Mr. mv. Interesting question. As yet, the vast majority of people we've had on board really don't drink. Perhaps one glass of wine with dinner but not much else so we haven't established any rules.

As mentioned previously, our boating style will be changing IF and WHEN we find THE boat https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/sport-catamaran-65383.html and our cruising companions may, as well.

The majority of our condo neighbours who have boats behind the building seem to exclusively go to "the sandbar" most weekends. From what I've seen/heard, I strongly suspect we won't be joining them but I DO think they will get invites to fish aboard or buddy-boat to points other than the urinal...er, sandbar. Might be that at this point we will have to institute drinking "rules" when they are aboard.

Is there an open-container law for boating as there is for drivng a car? Or is that by location? I realize BAC levels are enforced, and points assessed to your land-based driving record, but can you legally drink and drive a boat as long as you're under the BAC level (typically, 0.08%)?

Peter

Where I am from and in my experience, there is no open container law on the federal level (parks and installations may have) and states generally the same or like in NJ it's a $200 fine first offense. Local towns usually have them but on the water, I have never seen an open container law enforced or heard of it. Now if the driver is drinking, it is probable cause for a BUI check (pretty sure).

If checked but found under the operation limit, they could be fined, but again I have never heard of it.

So, it's a yes and no in some places, not in other places. You can drink, but you may be nailed for open container.

Here is Florida's from the net...

"Under Florida drinking and boating laws, it is not against the law to have an open container on a boat (unlike in the car), but the intoxication levels are the same. Operating a boat while under the impairment or influence of alcohol is a big no-no, and can cause massive fines and jail time."

The only rule I have is no drinking while on watch or during the 4 hours preceding. We have never had a problem caused or exacerbated by alcohol. But, my guests (guys I fish with on multi-day trips) are responsible. For cocktail cruises the guest list is a little different and often includes people who I don't know well enough to be confident that they won't be a problem, so I hire a paid captain and mate (I have never had a problem with any prospective captain telling me no drinking permitted -- that would not have worked out). On a few occasions, some people have had more than they should, but no one attempted to interfere with the operation of the boat or did anything else crazy so even then no real problems.

I was hired a lot for dinner /cocktail cruises on private boats.... doubt I would have ever gotten the job if I said "no drinking" while on board. Funny enough is many of the cruises, the owner said "ah, one beer won't hurt".

On my boat, no drinking while underway. If you really need a drink, feel free to get off my boat and run along side for the remainder of the voyage. And NO, you cannot use my RIB.

Last edited:
Things got so bad, in GA, they put the points on their driver's license. That surprised a lot of drunks.

Someone on another thread mentioned they do not allow passengers to drink while underway --- period. When I was delivering, I had a zero-tolerance policy for anyone aboard (including owners - was in my contract).

But when hosting friends for a day out on the water, while my wife and I won't drink while underway, I don't care what my friends do as long as no one gets sloppy drunk. As a matter of fact, hard to imagine a nice afternoon watching Blue Angels; or 4th of July fireworks, etc. without some libation.

So what is your policy about drinking underway? Zero tolerance? Moderation? Other?

Peter

That's pretty much my policy, as well. But then people who live to get their drink on are generally not going to be invited aboard my boat in the first place.

Peter
Very much dependent on the jurisdiction. In Ontario, CA., no open container on the boat - in the trash or otherwise - unless the anchor is down or the boat is tied to the dock. And I've observed plenty of enforcement of that. California I think allows open container but 0.08 limit. In BC, CA, no open container unless the boat has cooking, sleeping, and bathroom facilities, then same limit as car (0.08). Here is a pretty good summary, mostly 0.08.

Mostly, like all things in life, it comes down to: don't be foolish.

Last edited:
Being a newb in the boat world well passed the drinking age i can happily say that i dont hang around with people who like to drink a bit too much.

If i knew a guest has a drinking problem and there was alcohol on board i probably wouldnt take them. There would be nothing on my boat because i just dont drink any more.(i drank enough for a lot of us in my teens and early twenties)

My last beer was a few months ago while eating chinese food at a restaurant. Thats probably when youll catch me drinking a beer. And im a cheap bastard, i dont eat out much any more.

But as far as guests drinking, as long as they are respectful of there surroundings,,,, drink away!

As far as me drinking on the water, i never have. On the water or at the dock. But thats just me. Life is too short, enjoy it while you can. Just be thoughtful of others and dont be a doush.

You all allow guests on board? Chortle. They only get in the way, consume ship's stores and fill the holding tank.

What you're doing. I don't drink while running the boat and don't expect anyone onboard to get excessively intoxicated. They can drink, sure, but not to the point of impairment. But then we tend not to have friends aboard that drink to that degree, so it's sort of a self-selecting non-issue for us. If I had someone that did drink that much they'd certainly not get invited back.

I was hired a lot for dinner /cocktail cruises on private boats.... doubt I would have ever gotten the job if I said "no drinking" while on board. Funny enough is many of the cruises, the owner said "ah, one beer won't hurt".

Back when I first got my license, I drove for a 3-hour dinner/cruise company, usually between 30-50 passengers (if I remember, the larger of their two boats was certified for 72). Had I insisted on no-drinking, I wouldn't have to worry about the passengers - the owner would have dismembered me long before the passengers ordered their first drink. Was an interesting job.

Peter

Peter

I know in the NE there is no open container law for boats. I never do, but could even legally drink while underway.

Ken

My boat: no drinking when the vessel is underway.

We don't drink, and neither do most of our friends. We tell friends and relatives who come as guests are welcome to drink as they wish, but we know them - they're professional and mature. Never had someone drink too much. I'd have no problem removing someone who's behavior became concerning, whether due to alcohol or otherwise.

Just remember that you are responsible for them. If they are drunk and fall and get hurt guess who they are going to sue…

Just remember that you are responsible for them. If they are drunk and fall and get hurt guess who they are going to sue…
Or worse. I had taken some colleagues to dinner at Jack London Square in Oakland. Had a great time. One person uncharacteristically had too much to drink. When we got back to my slip, she stumbled getting off and fell overboard.

That was 26 years ago. We're now married. I think she's been drunk one other time since then.

Peter

I saw a placard on a nice yacht once that said:

No Drinking of Alcoholic Beverages, No Foul Language,
Do Not Use the Lords Name in Vain, No Loud Laughing,
No Whistling —- Please Do Not Touch the Painted or
Varnished Surfaces. Relax and Enjoy Yourself

The Captain

If they're just guests and not acting as crew in any way, I'm fine with people drinking underway as long as it's not excessive. Generally if we have guests where this would be a question, we're not boating in any demanding circumstances, so the 2 of us will have no problem paying attention to them and running the boat.

Good subject matter as I will have guests summer 2023 in Alaska. I don't have issues with "guests" having a few drinks while underway.

However no drinks for captain and crew until we anchor or tie up to a dock. We do have a tradition on ASD. A beer for everyone once we are anchored or tied up for the night.

Last edited:
No drinking for captain and crew (wife and I) until end of day when boat is at anchor or dock. Guests can have a drink but since it is friends no one gets drunk. Also don’t offer anyone booze if they want to bring it fine but I just feel more comfortable that way.

I do not drink underway, never have. Same for crew.

I also do not allow red wine on the boat. Bitch to get stains out.

Otherwise go for it. Hopefully articles of clothing fall off at equal rate.

On my boat, no drinking while underway. If you really need a drink, feel free to get off my boat and run along side for the remainder of the voyage. And NO, you cannot use my RIB.
I really enjoyed my nine hour tour on the waterway taxi system you have there in Fort Lauderdale. Hop on hop off. Started with a beer from a cooler and ended with a full service bar boat. (Stopped for lunch and dinner too). :socool:

Or worse. I had taken some colleagues to dinner at Jack London Square in Oakland. Had a great time. One person uncharacteristically had too much to drink. When we got back to my slip, she stumbled getting off and fell overboard.

That was 26 years ago. We're now married. I think she's been drunk one other time since then.

Peter
So, she literally fell for you. :thumb:

No alcohol for ANYONE until either docked or anchored for the night. And the helm is ALWAYS manned.

I can’t believe the amount of rules here.

Back
Top Bottom