Battery Powered Flare

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am glad we agree they are dangerous. Duncan Wells is a senior RYA instructor and was making an instructional video about using flares. The flare manufacturer paid up because their flare was faulty. The soldiers were trained to use flares.

I agree that some devices cause injuries because people do silly things, but I challenge readers of this thread to report a life changing injury, needing surgery by one of these battery powered devices, used by somebody who is trained in the use of the device, using it responsibly and that is reported in print (be it a boating magazine or a medical journal) so it can be read and the balance of risks properly discussed.

For my injuries just Google Duncan Wells and use Pubmed.gov to find the others.

If none are reported then its obvious flares, except in very rare and special circumstances, are no longer suitable for use by recreational boaters.

I carry the electronic flare for compliance and I renew 1/3 of my Pyro flares every year, so I always have at least a partial load of reliable flares. I don't throw the expired flares away...they probably work just fine years past their expiry date.

I have one of the C cell powered electronic S O S devices. I also have PLB x 3. I carry conventional flares. When I was long distance cruising I only carried SOLAS grade flares, including parachute flares. When you need attention--make it something which is big and works. If. you life depends on it--EPRIB or PLB.

Rescue Flare

I have seen no mention of the new EPIRB’s with AIS capability, or Radar-SART devices. I have both on board, have confidence in both, and hope that purchasing both will always have been an unnecessary expenditure. I also have a PLB, an electronic beacon and the old school devices as well, including 25mm arial flares and a purpose specific mirror. One advantage of the electronic devices is that they can run themselves indefinitely while the skipper is paying attention to other urgent matters like stopping flooding, deploying the life raft, or rendering medical aid.

“Good judgement comes from experience … experience comes from bad judgement.”

I agree flares are just about defunct....

But let's not get carried away with how dangerous they are and that they aren't totally useless.
Agreed. I’ve used literally dozens of cases of hand-held flares, fired hundreds of aerial flares, and scores of smoke and other devices. A basic understanding of how they work, how to use them, and exercise of caution, all go a long way to mitigating any risk. Malfunctions were extremely rare, and usually involved hand held flares and poor striker caps.

That said, I think that the all have their place and most appropriate uses.

I believe smokes are great in crowded areas and in vicinity of other craft. A bright pop of smoke is a quick way to alert those around of an oh-sh!t moment - especially since many bay/coastal boaters are poor at monitoring their radios. Aerial devices are better at distance, especially night time, but need the brightness and hang time of the right device to be of any use, (especially in the day). I don’t feel that the battery powered lights are of much use as an alerting device, but excellent at night/low-vis homing. I feel the same way about handheld flare. And of course PLB’s, EPIRB’s, radio - including a handheld backup VHF are invaluable.

JMHO - YMMV

Back
Top Bottom