Travelling up the ICW under the COVID 19 travel restrictions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SailorGreg

Vessel Name
Privateer
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 52
We just arrived in the Chesapeake after a trip up the ICW from the Bahamas. We documented our trip and what we experienced on our blog, mvprivateer.com May be helpful to some of you heading north, especially if you are not ICW experts. PM me if you have any questions.
Greg

I just read your entry. Very nice.

One comment and a question.

I did transit Rock Pile at low tide coming south. No you would not like it one bit!

You show on your chart that Cumberland Anchorage is exposed. How far in did you go? There are four docks there. If you anchor by the first two it does look exposed but there really is no fetch apart from the south. Most boaters anchor way further in by the third and fourth dock, up towards the Greyfield Inn where there is plenty of protection.

I have heard the rock pile is tight. No intention to ever do it again, especially after your comments.
As to Cumberland, yes, there is more protection if you anchor close to the docks. In our case, the winds were out of the SW when we came in, so what little protection that was available was behind Drum Point Island. On day two, the wind switched to SE and the area along the docks was nicely protected as you say. I sounded the area along the docks and it stays deep closer to land than the charts indicate, so I could have snuggled up. Luckily, the wind was moderate.
I will update that page in the blog post, thanks.

So I really only had 2" available and not 20'? After the comments I am probably done doing this. Do you know if anybody has the actual dimensions of the lower rock edges? Somewhere I had read it was 50'. If thats true, then 15' on either side. But folks have suggested it is less...?

Thanks.

We preferred to transit the Rock Pile at low tide. Really makes it clear where you shouldn't wander. The key to that stretch is simple, stay in the middle of the channel: it's a good 75 feet wide, so not much different than transiting the bridges.

We always went that way because the Waccamaw River and tributaries are the most beautiful part of the ICW and we loved to gunkhole there a few days or so coming and going. It was a destination unto itself with peaceful, beautiful anchorages. Lots of fun to explore with the dinghy.

From Myrtle Beach north, after having made a trip or two inside, we would go outside at Little River and come back in at Southport or Bald Head Island. Thence back out at Masonboro and in at Beaufort, those two stretches of NC being among the most boring and tedious of the whole trip.

Last edited:
Like many things in boating....must be confidence or something...I never had an issue with the rockpile (up to 54' vessels) and the larger commercial vessels use it routinely.

The main difference with this stretch versus many other parts of the ICW is the bottom is rock versus sand.... just stay in the channel.

The consensus of experienced cruisers I know also advocate that low tide you can better see the hazards...but in probably 30 runs of the ICW I never worried about that stretch anywhere near other parts.

Last edited:
My concern was meeting a commercial on the way through - even though I radioed before entering the cut. My hope was that any commercial traffic knew enough about the area to radio a recreational boat back - but I wasn't totally convinced. So I breathed a huge sigh of relief when got out he other end.

Not being enforced. Plus they were working a repeal through the state legislature when they had to stop because of the virus.
The oyster beds will be protected though.

Won't the tugs and tows be squawking on their AIS?
Like many things in boating....must be confidence or something...I never had an issue with the rockpile (up to 54' vessels) and the larger commercial vessels use it routinely.

The main difference with this stretch versus many other parts of the ICW is the bottom is rock versus sand.... just stay in the channel.

The consensus of experienced cruisers I know also advocate that low tide you can better see the hazards...but in probably 30 runs of the ICW I never worried about that stretch anywhere near other parts.

They are pretty good at announcing their passage....I don't worry about AIS that much....I rarely even meet significant recreational traffic that is a worry.

Guess I am just lucky.

Transiting The Rockpile is no big deal. One just needs to pay attention and stay in the middle of the channel. If one meets another boat just pass by slowly close aboard. Rocks. Shmocks. Try the Small Boat (less than 70 feet) Channel in the Georgian Bay of Lake Huron sometime. The channel in some places is wide enough for just one boat with many twists and turns and the bottom is the Canadian (rock) Shield, no sand, no mud. This channel is well-marked as is The Rockpile so no reason to fear either.
They are pretty good at announcing their passage....I don't worry about AIS that much....I rarely even meet significant recreational traffic that is a worry.

Guess I am just lucky.

Never found the rock pile stretch to be an issue. Between AIS and doing a Securite call before entering, it's pretty easy to avoid meeting other significant vessels. I would imagine on a busy weekend there could be more small boat traffic though.

Ted

I wouldn't be surprised if GA didn't enforce the anchoring rules as applied to transient cruisers. However, we have official documents from the state government that says it is unlawful, and I am not aware of any official statements that the law will not be enforced. Does create a bit of concern.

Back
Top Bottom