Regional Verbiage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We've always used gunkholing. However I don't limit it to mud bottoms. Basically small out of the way anchorages, usually so quiet there are only one of two boats there. And gunkholing means you don't stay in one of these places long but jump from one to the other every few days during a cruise.

As for yacht basin, we don't use the term ourselves but we have had many marinas we were coming into use it to us. For example Old Bahama Bay in West End has a big waiting area inside their breakwater before you get to the marina proper. They will ask you to wait in the basin until they call you in. This is especially true if you just want a quick tie up to use customs and immigration rather than a slip.

Last edited:
Never heard of gunkholing until I read it here on TF, so it's not a north coast BC word...must be a Washington State thing?
It's somewhere in most Canadian Power Squadron lesson plans. ;):)

Last edited:
We have a lot of bayous (bi-yo, not bi-oh as in Louisiana) hereabouts instead of inlets or coves.

Dock is NOT equivalent to a pier to any professional mariner I have ever met. It is a cut into which a vessel is moved and from which the water can be pumped out to expose the vessel's underwater body in order to perform work on it. Recreational folk seem to like mixing up dock and pier to the point they are synonymous in that community.

My trawler had forward, main, and aft cabins. Never did find a saloon there, I might have found one on a very large sailboat one time owned by a hoity toity person.

I have issues with calling the space from which I conn my Pilot as the "bridge deck" per Mainship's owner's manual cuz I am standing on the engine cover and I think some might confuse it with the idea of a flying bridge the boat does not have. So I don't call it anything. :)

Dock is NOT equivalent to a pier to any professional mariner I have ever met. It is a cut into which a vessel is moved and from which the water can be pumped out to expose the vessel's underwater body in order to perform work on it. Recreational folk seem to like mixing up dock and pier to the point they are synonymous in that community.

What you're describing is a specific kind of dock, a dry dock. Any structure on the water to which boats may be tied (or moored for others) is a dock. Now the distinction between a pier and a dock is that a pier may or may not be used for docking. For instance, we have many fishing piers, structures out over the water, that are not used for docking. Therefore, docks are piers but piers may or may not be docks.

If it's something to which I'm tying a boat, I will always refer to it as a dock. If boats are not tied to it, a pier. If it's designed for what you described above, a dry dock.

I'll also note that most dry docks in our area do not now drain the water, but instead lift the vessel. However, those are for recreational boats and generally only handle up to 3000 tons and 90 meters.

Then there's a pontoon!

Skookumchuck inlet, a place you want to know what you are doing when transiting. "Gunkholing" is used more in the PNW, coastal BC and the Alaska Pan Handle simply because there are more locations do this.
Be careful with your gunkholing. Skookumchuck is not an inlet. Skookumchuck Narrows, is between Sechelt Inlet and Jervis Inlet.
Skookum Inlet is an arm off Totten Inlet in Washington.
Don't get lost now.

A dock (from Dutch dok) is the area of water between or next to one or a group of human-made structures that are involved in the handling of boats or ships (usually on or near a shore) or such structures themselves. The exact meaning varies among different variants of the English language.

Dock (maritime) - Wikipedia

The definition of dock has been altered from the early days and lingers in the big boat maritime community.

Back when I started in the USCG, "dock" was the body of water between piers, etc....thus "dry dock" was the space when the water was removed.

A dock (from Dutch dok) is the area of water between or next to one or a group of human-made structures that are involved in the handling of boats or ships (usually on or near a shore) or such structures themselves. The exact meaning varies among different variants of the English language.

Dock (maritime) - Wikipedia

The definition of dock has been altered from the early days and lingers in the big boat maritime community.

Back when I started in the USCG, "dock" was the body of water between piers, etc....thus "dry dock" was the space when the water was removed.

Here in SW BC, docks float, piers stand on pilings and often have a ramp for access to the attached dock.

Someone new just posted "shipyard."

What say ye.

Shipyard or boat yard? Or either works?

A saloon is where food, drink, entertainment, companionship is served while salon is where one get hair and nails fixed. Lots of people who are easily ashamed are use salon instead of saloon.

A saloon is where food, drink, entertainment, companionship is served while salon is where one get hair and nails fixed. Lots of people who are easily ashamed are use salon instead of saloon.

The place I do my hair and nails is called the swim platform!

We have a lot of bayous (bi-yo, not bi-oh as in Louisiana) hereabouts instead of inlets or coves.

My trawler had forward, main, and aft cabins. Never did find a saloon there, I might have found one on a very large sailboat one time owned by a hoity toity person.

I have issues with calling the space from which I conn my Pilot as the "bridge deck" per Mainship's owner's manual cuz I am standing on the engine cover and I think some might confuse it with the idea of a flying bridge the boat does not have. So I don't call it anything. :)

Hjälmare Docka, Hjälmare canal - Arboga, Sweden. Though it may not look it, it is still in use today.

Attachments

• 58D242D4-5D02-4D7C-92B8-EE48142CDDCF.jpg
    58D242D4-5D02-4D7C-92B8-EE48142CDDCF.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 25
Never heard of gunkholing until I read it here on TF, so it's not a north coast BC word...must be a Washington State thing?

That could be. I grew up with that term in the Puget Sound area.

What you're describing is a specific kind of dock, a dry dock. Any structure on the water to which boats may be tied (or moored for others) is a dock. Now the distinction between a pier and a dock is that a pier may or may not be used for docking. For instance, we have many fishing piers, structures out over the water, that are not used for docking. Therefore, docks are piers but piers may or may not be docks.

If it's something to which I'm tying a boat, I will always refer to it as a dock. If boats are not tied to it, a pier. If it's designed for what you described above, a dry dock.

I'll also note that most dry docks in our area do not now drain the water, but instead lift the vessel. However, those are for recreational boats and generally only handle up to 3000 tons and 90 meters.

Distinctions and definitions vary depending on your Funk and Wagnals.

It's somewhere in most Canadian Power Squadron lesson plans. ;):)

squad·ron

- an operational unit in an air force consisting of two or more flights of aircraft and the personnel required to fly them.

- a principal division of an armored or cavalry regiment, consisting of two or more troops.

- a group of warships detached on a particular duty or under the command of a flag officer.

Now why the heck would I want to take lessons for that!??! :D

Here's what Wikipedia says about mooring.

Mooring

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search For other uses, see Mooring (disambiguation).

A dockworker places a mooring line on a bollard.

A mooring is any permanent structure to which a vessel may be secured. Examples include quays, wharfs, jetties, piers, anchor buoys, and mooring buoys. A ship is secured to a mooring to forestall free movement of the ship on the water. An anchor mooring fixes a vessel's position relative to a point on the bottom of a waterway without connecting the vessel to shore. As a verb, mooring refers to the act of attaching a vessel to a mooring.[1]
The term likely stems from the Dutch verb meren (to moor), used in English since the end of the 15th century.

Seems to me they have it right. So whether I'm on a mooring ball or moored alongside a dock, I select "Moored", which is #5 on the status menu on my Furuno FA-150 Class A AIS.

Milt Baker, Nordhavn 47 Bluewater, Southwest Harbor, ME

So my concrete structure on piles at the bottom of the garden is a pier not a dock?

I'm frequently confused between "berth" and "slip." When/where is a boat berthed or in a slip? Could it be said a boat is berthed in a slip?

Someone new just posted "shipyard."

What say ye.

Shipyard or boat yard? Or either works?

When I was in banking I financed a 'shipyard' and many enhancements thereafter, for Edison Chouest Offshore in LA. I think the largest vessel they built there was the Nathanial Palmer (310') a 'research vessel with icebreaking capabilities' - still in use today for the National Science Foundation in Antarctica as the USA's only marine asset there. My favorite customer for many years. Gary Chouest was one of the smartest customers i ever had. He knew how to use debt / leverage.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. BZ. Welcome aboard. To FURTHER confuse the issue...From OED (THE definitive source IMO):

mooring (n.)early 15c., "action or process of making a ship secure in a particular place by means of anchors, cables, etc.," verbal noun from moor (v.). From 1775 as "place where a vessel can be moored" (compare moorings).

moorings (n.)
1744, "ropes, etc., by which a floating thing is confined or made fast," from mooring. Figurative sense of "that to which anything is fastened or by which it is held" is by 1851.

dock (n.1)"ship's berth, any structure in or upon which a ship may be held for loading, repairing, etc.," late 15c., dokke, from Middle Dutch or Middle Low German docke, which is perhaps ultimately (via Late Latin *ductia "aqueduct") from Latin ducere "to lead," from PIE root *deuk- "to lead;" or possibly from a Scandinavian word for "low ground" (compare Norwegian dokk "hollow, low ground"). The original sense was perhaps "furrow a grounded vessel makes in a mud bank."

pier (n.)
late Old English, pere, "support of a span of a bridge," from Medieval Latin pera, a word of unknown origin, perhaps from Old North French pire "a breakwater," from Vulgar Latin *petricus, from Latin petra "rock" (see petrous), but OED is against this. Meaning "solid structure in a harbor, used as a landing place for vessels; mole or jetty projecting out to protect vessels from the open sea" is attested from mid-15c.

According to the Coast Guard, to fully pass an inspection, you need to have a copy of the "rules of the waterway" aboard your boat. There are a couple other things required that the average boater is not aware of and probably does not have on board. Things like bouy definitions, horn signals, overtaking, being overtaken protocol, lighting, flotation registration, etc, etc.

These are all covered by "Chapmans" and I carry one to just point to the book and say "Got it Covered" if it ever comes to an official inspection.

pete

Not sure what this refers to. There is no US Federal requirement for a recreational vessel to carry any "rules of the waterway." The only similar requirement I am aware of is contained in the Federal Regulations, 33 CFR 83.01(g) which requires a vessel over 12 meters (39.4') to carry a copy of the Inland Navigation Rules. There are several references that can fulfill this requirement (official and commercial). If you are being told anything else someone has it wrong. Could be different in Canada or other countries, but for US recreational vessels that's all that is required.

I'm frequently confused between "berth" and "slip." When/where is a boat berthed or in a slip? Could it be said a boat is berthed in a slip?

I would imagine that is just a other way of saying the boat's bed - it's tied up, regardless if in a slip, pier, dock.

Local New England use is a vessel is berthed on a floating dock or a fixed pier. If there are multiple parallel berths all are slips regardless if floating or not.

Back
Top Bottom