Favorite Stops: Stuart to Savannah?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
������������

Update2 - Favorite Stops: Stuart to Savannah

OK, I said I do this update last weekend... Well, we've been cruising and it seems priorities have shifted. I write from Fernandina Harbor Marina where I had awesome tuna seated outside at the Salty Pelican across the street. Since leaving the OWW 10 days ago we have stopped as several "Favorite Stops": Rockhouse Creek anchorage, St. Augustine Municipal Marina, Pine Ils anchorage. Plus we found two anchorages we liked to add to the list. Thank you to the contributors! Any suggestions for Savannah? I will post a 3rd update in a week or 2.
Next week we'll spend 2 days at Cumberland Ils National Seashore. Here's the list:

Update2 - Favorite Stops: Stuart to Savannah

Stuart (985 ICW MM) to Savannah (577 ICW MM)

• South-to-North: some favorite anchorages, mooring fields and marinas

988 – “The Crossroads” = key nav point [ICW x OWW x St Lucie Inlet]

988 - Manatee Pocket = anchorage, Stuart, several marina dinghy docks, stores & restaurants nearby, KF

8 OWW - Sunset Bay Marina, Stuart = docks often sold out, large mooring field with great services, OC
Stuart has a free pump-out boat paid for by the city, call them and they show up and pump

966 - Fort Pierce City Marina = a good stop, OC

952 - Vero Beach City Marina = docks and moorings, OC

925 – Hog Point Cove = anchorage, large, E of ICW, KF

918 - Melbourne Causeway = anchorage N or S of the causeway, OC

909 - Pineda Causeway = anchorage N or S of the causeway, OC

897 - Cocoa Village Marina, MK
Activities: Cape Canaveral access

885 - NASA Causeway Bridge = anchorage, either side of the ICW, MZ

878 - Titusville Marina = docks and moorings ($25), OC [can also anchor just north of the field, MZ]

845 - Sheepshead Cut = anchorage, New Smyrna, MZ

842 - Rockhouse Creek = anchorage, OC, MZ [room for 3 boats, KF]

829 – Daytona / Seabreeze Blvd = anchorage, NE of bridge, OC

778 - St. Augustine Municipal Marina = dock & moorings, Good Eats! OC
Activities: good walking city with many historical landmarks

765 - Pine Island South = anchorage, OC, MZ, KF

740 – St Johns River / JAX = key nav point

739 - Sisters Creek Marina = Free Dock (Jim King Park, no e-, side-to) MZ

735 - Fort George River = anchorage, MZ [enter on a high tide, significant sandbar at the entrance, OC]
Activities: Kingsley Plantation, sandbars, Little Talbot State Park, beaches etc.

726 - Harrison Creek Anchorage, large, no wind protection but good holding, KF

717 - Fernandina Harbor Marina, Fernandina Beach, RA, CR (& anchorage MZ) [Tuna @Salty Pelican, KF]

707 - Cumberland Island Sound = anchorage, OC, MZ
Activities: Cumberland Island National Seashore! National Park Island with ruins, hiking, beach, dinghy landing.
[Walk the ruins of Dungeness. The forest is a high canopy. The beach is very nice. Dungeness could best be described as a sprawling self-sufficient plantation. The Island has lots of history and something like 160 wild horses. OC]
[per Ranger Ethan on 27Sep20: Dinghy docking permitted, day only, on 3 docks: Sea Camp (N side of dock), Dungeness (N side of dock) and Plum Orchard. Park fees $10/adult/wk paid to the “Iron Ranger” (metal boxes) DW]

685 - Jekyll Harbor Marina = Jekyll Island near Brunswick, Ga. If you like old architecture and history worth a stop, once. Not a bad little cafe at the marina either, PS

680 - Brunswick Landing Marina = downtown Brunswick, OC

677 - Morningstar Marina = Golden Isles, near Brunswick, RA

677 - Lanier Island South = anchorage, MZ

673 - Frederica River = anchorage, OC

618 - [7m NW of MM 618] Sunbury Crab Co. Restaurant & Marina, CZ

614 - Kill Kenny Creek = anchorage, OC

577 - Savannah River = key nav point

536 - Beaufort, SC = Safe Harbor Beaufort Marina & Moorings, KA

If I didn’t list your suggestion it is because I could not find it on Waterway Guide or Navionics. Thanks Everybody!!

Bet ya stay more than two days at Cumberland! :)

It doesn't meet the restrictions if the revamped statute.

Please tell Miss Elaine that the OLOH Crew sends big hugs and we'll be back!
And a big hello to Kenny to if he's still there. Let us know what you think and have a blast!

The fuel facilities are a bit rustic but they are still charging $3 for diesel! We got some yesterday in St Simons for $2.09.

Attachments

• fueldock.jpg
    fueldock.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 26
And Kenny is no longer here, though he "was a favorite!"

Favorite ICW Overnights: Charleston to Stuart

Hey Trawlernauts!
We just finished our 63d, 1,600m cruise from St Pete to Charleston and back. Here is an update of some TF members’ favorite anchorages and marinas between Charleston and Stuart.

Wx landmarks are the geographic locations used by NOAA in marina weather forecasts. # are ICW mile markers. Initials are the TF member making the comment. Unless otherwise noted, all dw reviewed spots had >5mb/s Verizon cellular internet.

469 - Charleston = Safe Harbor Charleston City Marina, dw

• 467 - Elliott Cut = caution

488 - Church Creek anchorage - great large anchorage, dw

• 510 – Edisto Beach NOAA Wx landmark

516 - Rock Creek anchorage – small, good for a couple boats, dw

536 - Safe Harbor Beaufort Marina, spotty cell internet, dw

545 – Chowen Creek anchorage – nice, spotty cell internet, dw

569 – Copper River anchorage, 1m N of ICW, dw

570 - New River / Daufuskie Landing anchorage – great, large anchorage, dw

583 – Thunderbolt Marina, Savannah; cheap diesel, working marina, dw

• 601 - Hell Gate, caution

614 – Kilkenny Creek – Kilkenny Marina (room for ~3 boats) or anchor (lots of room along the creek). Excellent Marker 107 Restaurant and day dock. Both ~2m up the creek. OC, dw

• 656 - Altamaha Sound NOAA Wx landmark

673 - Frederica River anchorage – OC, dw

677 - Morningstar Marina, St Simons Ils, cheap diesel, courtesy car, MZ, dw

677 - Lanier Island South anchorage, MZ

685 – Jekyll Harbor Marina, good little cafe at the marina, PS

707 - Cumberland Island Sound anchorage, OC, MZ (large, excellent dw)
Activities: Cumberland Island National Seashore! National Park Island with ruins, hiking, beach, dinghy landing. [Very special place! Bike rentals. Dinghy docking permitted, day only, on 3 docks: Sea Camp (N side of dock), Dungeness (N side of dock) and Plum Orchard. Park fees $10/adult/wk paid to the “Iron Ranger” (metal boxes) or online, dw]

717 - Fernandina Harbor Marina, Fernandina Beach, RA (& anchorage MZ), dw

720 – Alligator Pass

726 – Harrison Creek Anchorage

735 – Fort George River – MZ, careful => do not enter/exit on high tide, close to ocean, 5’ tide
(anchor 300’ ESE of the dock in ~10’ dw)

739 - Sister Creek Anchorage

739 - Sisters Creek Free Docks = Free 72h Floating Dock (Jim King Park, no e-, side-to) MZ; Tide =7’

765 - Pine Island South – large great anchorage, OC, MZ, dw

778 - St. Augustine Municipal Marina, dock & moorings, Good Eats! OC, enter @ slack current dw

781 - Matanzas River South - S of R18 = at extreme S end, W of R22, else full with derelicts, little shelter, dw

• 810 – Flagler Beach NOAA Wx Landmark

829 – Daytona / Seabreeze Blvd = anchorage, NE of bridge, OC

842 - Rockhouse Creek anchorage, OC, MZ, small=3 boats dw

845 - Sheepshead Cut = anchorage, New Smyrna, MZ

862 - Mosquito Lagoon anchorage - E of G19, exposed, very large, rocket launch! dw

• 870 – Volusia-Brevard County Line NOAA Wx Landmark

878 - Titusville Marina = docks and moorings ($25), OC [can also anchor just north of the field, MZ]

885 - NASA Causeway Bridge = anchorage, either side of the ICW, MZ

909 - Pineda Causeway = anchorage N or S of the causeway, OC

918 - Melbourne Causeway = anchorage N or S of the causeway, OC

925 – Hog Point Cove anchorage = large, E of ICW, dw / North Rocky Point anchorage W of ICE

• 937 – Sebastian Inlet NOAA Wx Landmark

952 – Vero Beach City Marina = docks and moorings, OC

966 - Fort Pierce City Marina = a good stop, OC, dw

988 (=0 OWW) – “The Crossroads” = key nav point [ICW x OWW x St Lucie Inlet]

Here is Okeechobee NOAA Wx, because it was hard to find: https://forecast.weather.gov/shmrn.php?mz=amz610

Thank you to all TF members for contributing!
-David, aboard GH37 Knot Fast.

Glad you had a great trip. Come visit the east coast again and spend lots of money!!

We were going to stop at Roland Martin tonight but getting there at 12:15 so cancelled and are going in to the city dock at Moore Haven. Will save us an hour and a half tomorrow, plus one less lock.

Last edited:
I'm on a mooring this evening at Titusville Municipal marina. Went to the dock, filled the water tanks ,dumped the trash, could have gotten a pump out, and will spend the night on a mooring for under $20! While you could anchor out next to the mooring field, I would rather support the service that gives the cruiser so much for so little. They also have a nice protected dinghy dock, so I could have dinner with my buddy and reprovision.

Ted

I'm on a mooring this evening at Titusville Municipal marina. Went to the dock, filled the water tanks ,dumped the trash, could have gotten a pump out, and will spend the night on a mooring for under $20! While you could anchor out next to the mooring field, I would rather support the service that gives the cruiser so much for so little. They also have a nice protected dinghy dock, so I could have dinner with my buddy and reprovision.

Ted

That's an interesting perspective from a regular Florida cruiser.

Just think, before Florida municipalities started enforcing mooring fields and driving the anchorages further away you could anchor close by and get all that for a $5 dinghy docking fee.

Thankfully multiple boating organizations clubbed together to successfully fight the expansion of this senselessness.

If only we could remove those already in place - think St Augustine for example.

Last edited:
That's an interesting perspective from a regular Florida cruiser.

Just think, before Florida municipalities started enforcing mooring fields and driving the anchorages further away you could anchor close by and get all that for a $5 dinghy docking fee.

Thankfully multiple boating organizations clubbed together to successfully fight the expansion of this senselessness.

If only we could remove those already in place - think St Augustine for example.

As usual, I probably couldn't disagree with you more ;). The incredibly inexpensive municipal mooring fields are great. Most provide a very good value, pretty much eliminate the anchorage drama, and often put good quality dinghy docks within easy walking distance of the city attractions. I would never stop at St. Augustine if it weren't for the mooring field. There is too much tidal current, not for the seasoned boater, but the short scoping rookie that will likely go careening through the anchorage in the middle of the night. The launch service and pumpout boats at some municipal moorings are also outstanding. Have been to a few where Launch service was included (always tip for good service) with the mooring and was available till 10pm. Go out to dinner, have a drink or two and don't have to drive back to the boat and deal with the dinghy.

Thankfully, they're not going away and you will likely see more municipalities adding them. They're good for the city's tourism and good for boaters that don't want to use a marina. Having used more than a dozen municipal mooring fields, I would almost always pick them versus anchoring in the same area. On your current trip, you should try the ones at Fort Myers Beach, Stuart, Vero Beach, and St. Augustine. For what the average boater spends visiting a city, the mooring fee is a rounding error. Save your anchoring for the remote areas. I'll probably be on a mooring at Vero Beach this evening.

Ted

I agree Ted....if it keeps derelict boats and anchorage hogs out of prime anchorages....20-25 dollars a night (less if monthly but with more enforceable rules) I consider it a bargain.

Places like Boot Key Harbor in Marathon is a good example of reasonableness...it would be zoo without what's there now...to me there could be improvement...but better than a free for all.

Places like Cocoa could use one...then rebuild the overnight dock for cruisers (making visiting even more delightful) with the cash flow...and if the working people at permanent anchor need a place..a reasonable monthly rate could be established.

Plus, it's been awhile since I have seen a $5 a day dingy fee...guess it depends what is included.

From Boot Key, Marathon.....

"Daily dinghy dockage increased from $13 to $22."

St Augustine....

$12 per day $72 per week $216 per week

Last edited:
It seems that city’s and towns are getting smart regarding mooring fields. I had a nice chat with the assistant harbor master in Block Island this summer. I had just witnessed him spend the better part of a busy afternoon finding moorings for everyone who requested one. He used both town and available private moorings to accommodate the crowds. He would tell people to hang on and he “would do his best to find them the perfect mooring”. While I was gladly paying up he explained the thought process to me. Basically keep as many as possible from anchoring as that cuts down on the horror shows that we have all witnessed. Common sense.... in government no less. Go figure��

As long as the fields are installed well, both in size, organization, management and maintained...and the prices remain reasonable....I see it as a win for boaters.

If only to keep great anchorages free of abandoned boats and wrecks.

Yep, I do disagree with you guys.

St. Augustine already had a decent sized mooring field - I first used it in 2001. However there was plenty of anchorage on both sides of it. The city was allowed to take ALL of the good water during the pilot.

Maybe it's the libertarian (small l) in me, but there is plenty of room in most municipalities for both. Take Fernandina for example, before they lost the mooring field in Matthew they allowed anchoring not only around but in the field "so long as you didn't interfere with moored vessels."

To the points of badly anchored boats careening through the anchorage - really? That's a reason to do away with anchorages?

As to the derelict boats - apply the existing and updated reqs forcefully. Don't take away my freedom to anchor because of the behavior of others.

Finally, it will be tough for additional municipalities to develop fields given the results of the pilot (with lobbying).

Ted, won't be anchoring or mooring this trip.We haven't had a decent vacation for a while so we decided to push the boat out (actually in) this trip and do marinas including Pink Shell. Another reason is that we haven't used the dinghy since March and I think the carb is varnished and needs cleaned/rebuilt.

Last edited:
I hate to see anchorages dry up also. They are one of the few freedoms available today. I would agree that having both available is the best scenario. Block Island has both. But I have to say during the high season you would be hard pressed to get me to anchor in that mess or many other anchorages. We were anchored while waiting for a mooring assignment when a guy just pulled in ahead of us, threw an anchor overboard,(not far from our anchor) and left. Never even tried to set it. Sort of a helpless feeling. With the way boat sales have taken off over the last year I think we are in for a real mess with inexperienced boaters crowding our anchorages. I am hoping for my first trip south next fall. I hope to have both anchorages and moorings available to me.

Well, I always thought the Fernandina mooring field was too small...so did others.

Plus not a fair comparison in size of towns and Fernandina has extensive anchoring due to marshland on the other side of the ICW with lots of anchoring for it's level of transients... Fernandina could quadruple their mooring field size and still have plenty of places to anchor.....St Aug doesn't...so like most TF disagreements in my mind...apples and oranges.

As to getting rid of derelict boas...we see how well that's going.

You can fit more boats in a well managed mooring field rather than the incompetent taking up huge amounts of room or anchoring so close they swing into you.

If in a great spot, I see those advantages plus more mooring benefits like launch service outweighing the $15 (if already paying $5 to land anyway).

If I am not going to land, then finding a remote anchorage is preferred anyway.

Pretty sure most towns like St Augustine charge almost what a mooring costs to park all day if you drive there.

Yep, I do disagree with you guys.

St. Augustine already had a decent sized mooring field - I first used it in 2001. However there was plenty of anchorage on both sides of it. The city was allowed to take ALL of the good water during the pilot.

Maybe it's the libertarian (small l) in me, but there is plenty of room in most municipalities for both. Take Fernandina for example, before they lost the mooring field in Matthew they allowed anchoring not only around but in the field "so long as you didn't interfere with moored vessels."

To the points of badly anchored boats careening through the anchorage - really? That's a reason to do away with anchorages?

I've clearly missed the reasoning why you think they're bad, or maybe you didn't offer one. I doubt you will find any credible experts that will say on average a vessel is safer on its anchor as opposed to a properly maintained municipal mooring. As mentioned previously, there's no question that more vessels can utilize the same space on moorings versus anchoring. Your odds of occupying the same spot are probably no different.

So other than paying a small fee, what's the issue?

Believe what you want about lobbying against them, it's dollars and cents tourism revenue. You have to win every time, they only need to win once and they have time and money on their side.

Ted

I've clearly missed the reasoning why you think they're bad, or maybe you didn't offer one. I doubt you will find any credible experts that will say on average a vessel is safer on its anchor as opposed to a properly maintained municipal mooring. As mentioned previously, there's no question that more vessels can utilize the same space on moorings versus anchoring. Your odds of occupying the same spot are probably no different.

So other than paying a small fee, what's the issue?

Believe what you want about lobbying against them, it's dollars and cents tourism revenue. You have to win every time, they only need to win once and they have time and money on their side.

Ted

I did not state that they were bad. I've used plenty of balls here and on the Bahamas. (Read my signature).

I am against them taking ALL of the space and making it mandatory to have a mooring to stop at their municipality.

If I am competent and comfortable anchoring, that should be my choice. Clearly the state of Florida agree as they have told the municipalities that the state controls those waters and they may no longer add mooring fields without state consent.

It's a pity they didn't force them to remove some of the balls for anchoring space. If they are ever destroyed by a storm it will be interesting to see if they get permission to redeploy.

Last edited:
I did not state that they were bad. I've used plenty of balls here and on the Bahamas. (Read my signature).

I am against them taking ALL of the space and making it mandatory to have a mooring to stop at their municipality.

If I am competent and comfortable anchoring, that should be my choice. Clearly the state of Florida agree as they have told the municipalities that the state controls those waters and they may no longer add mooring fields without state consent.

It's a pity they didn't force them to remove some of the balls for anchoring space. If they are ever destroyed by a storm it will be interesting to see if they get permission to redeploy.

I don't think anyone was challenging your competence, it seems that the the vast majority don't have a problem with mooring fields occupy the downtown waterway areas. Clearly there are many cities that have and will benefit from it. Opposition will fade and there will be other cities that will do it with the state's consent. Clearly cities like New Smyrna Beach would benefit from it.

Ted

Hmmmm...there are places to anchor in/near St Augustine and every other FL mooring field I have been in....just not prime real estate as some seem to think they are entitled to.

Hmmmm...there are places to anchor in/near St Augustine and every other FL mooring field I have been in....just not prime real estate as some seem to think they are entitled to.

Really? Where?

So Knot Fast, I have a question or two. How many years has it taken you to complete 63 round trips between Charleston and St Pete? How many underway days do you average one way? Do you often interrupt the voyage with multi-night stays?

So Knot Fast, I have a question or two. How many years has it taken you to complete 63 round trips between Charleston and St Pete? How many underway days do you average one way? Do you often interrupt the voyage with multi-night stays?

I don't think that was Knot Fast, I believe this was his first trip along the east coast.

I don't think that was Knot Fast, I believe this was his first trip along the east coast.

Interesting because the portion of the post which to me clearly stated that is no longer there.

Really? Where?

Off the fort, south of the south anchorage, and south of the bridge just south of the marina.

Look at a google satellite view and you can see boats anchored in those places.

Off the fort, south of the south anchorage, and south of the bridge just south of the marina.

Look at a google satellite view and you can see boats anchored in those places.

Have a look at those spots next time you are passing through.

I know the area like the back of my hand. Sure you might be able to squeeze a boat in somewhere (though absolutely not south of the marina before the field) but that does not make it an anchorage.

What they did to St Augustine is a shame. I am the first to laud the work that marina team do and the services they provide as I am a frequent visitor. But to deny anchorage where Spanish and British galleons used to drop anchor, and hundreds of thousands of others (millions?) in the centuries since, is sad.

Pony up the $20 and enjoy or anchor like the few who don't... I do because while I CAN anchor there (have scoped it out myself)...for $20 bucks and the amenities....it's worth it.... way more than much of US entertainment. Heck in town it isn't hard to find a place that will charge $10 for a glass of wine...and $20 for a mooring ball is a disgrace?

Out of all the places in the US that aren't what they used to be, $20 mooring balls are a great deal. Go cruise New England...that will bring tears to your eye as you reach for your wallet

Besides. St Augustine after the first time or two is only worth stopping about every 5 years or so.

Last edited:
Pony up the $20 and enjoy or anchor like the few who don't... I do because while I CAN anchor there (have scoped it out myself)...for $20 bucks and the amenities....it's worth it.... way more than much of US entertainment. Heck in town it isn't hard to find a place that will charge $10 for a glass of wine...and $20 for a mooring ball is a disgrace?

Out of all the places in the US that aren't what they used to be, $20 mooring balls are a great deal. Go cruise New England...that will bring tears to your eye as you reach for your wallet

Besides. St Augustine after the first time or two is only worth stopping about every 5 years or so.

Read my sig. I don't believe I said $20 for a mooring ball is a disgrace. Heck they can charge $40 or $50 or $100 for all I care.

What I am talking about is removing the freedom to anchor off the municipality. The city have acted in a way that they believe that the land under the water is theirs. It isn't.

You believe what you believe and I will do the same. No sense wasting time on a circuitous debate.

Back
Top Bottom