Considering Moving "Slow Hand" to the Great Lakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great lakes Cruising

Admittedly, my experience in Great Lakes cruising was limited to crossing Lake Ontario on a good day and the using the northern reaches of Lake Huron (the North Channel) before we hit Lake Washing Machine (Michigan).

The North Channel was some nice cruising.

We used the eastern side of Lake Michigan and that might have been a mistake. The western side is in the lee of the land and may be more protected.

I hear Lake Superior is great cruising, but I take that with a grain of salt.

Looking at the predominant boats in use on Lake Michigan they were either sail or go-fast motor and I would agree if the Great Lakes is going to be a cruising ground for most of your cruising you may want to change tools.

Again, as to Lake Washing Machine there is a cruising book put out by the state of all of the Safe Harbor marinas on the Lake which encompasses most if not all of the state marinas. NOTICE, I say Safe Harbors and that is mostly what they are.

We got pretty beat up in South Haven with the wind & waves coming down the channel into town with no abatement. The mate left the boat, for the dockmasters office and I spent the day trying to use spring lines to keep the boat off the pilings. We lost a section of wood trim banging against the pilings.

We never looked more to get out of a body of water than we did with Michigan.

IF you haven't been there then it might be nice for the experience. We've had our 1 time visit and NEVER plan to go back.

Now, if you want a place in NY to keep your boat in the 9mo you can't use it I could make some recommendations, PM me if interested. I'd gravitate toward the NY Canals and Canada.

Good luck,

We store our 41’, pay for 43’, inside in heated storage. We don’t do anything except remove all foods and mice likely things like soap bars. No winterization at all. I believe we are paying about $3790.

Admittedly, my experience in Great Lakes cruising was limited to crossing Lake Ontario on a good day and the using the northern reaches of Lake Huron (the North Channel) before we hit Lake Washing Machine (Michigan).

The North Channel was some nice cruising.

We used the eastern side of Lake Michigan and that might have been a mistake. The western side is in the lee of the land and may be more protected.

I hear Lake Superior is great cruising, but I take that with a grain of salt.

Looking at the predominant boats in use on Lake Michigan they were either sail or go-fast motor and I would agree if the Great Lakes is going to be a cruising ground for most of your cruising you may want to change tools.

Again, as to Lake Washing Machine there is a cruising book put out by the state of all of the Safe Harbor marinas on the Lake which encompasses most if not all of the state marinas. NOTICE, I say Safe Harbors and that is mostly what they are.

We got pretty beat up in South Haven with the wind & waves coming down the channel into town with no abatement. The mate left the boat, for the dockmasters office and I spent the day trying to use spring lines to keep the boat off the pilings. We lost a section of wood trim banging against the pilings.

We never looked more to get out of a body of water than we did with Michigan.

IF you haven't been there then it might be nice for the experience. We've had our 1 time visit and NEVER plan to go back.

Now, if you want a place in NY to keep your boat in the 9mo you can't use it I could make some recommendations, PM me if interested. I'd gravitate toward the NY Canals and Canada.

Good luck,

I did the Great Loop including 6 weeks in Lake Superior in 2017. Did all 5 Great Lakes, Georgian Bay, North Channel, Rideau canal, and Trent Severn canal in 2022. I have around 200 days of cruising in the region and can easily say it's probably some of the best freshwater cruising in North America. The Great Lakes are really small oceans and need to be treated and respected as such.

Sorry your experience wasn't better.

Ted

In New England, inside storage is most commonly used for the extremely wealthy, but more commonly for those with large projects ongoing all winter.

If you're not going to be working on the boat, then winterize it and shrinkwrap it and leave it outside in a yard.

In New England, inside storage is most commonly used for the extremely wealthy, but more commonly for those with large projects ongoing all winter.

If you're not going to be working on the boat, then winterize it and shrinkwrap it and leave it outside in a yard.

At least where I am, the cost difference between outside storage and un-heated inside storage is only slightly more than the cost of shrink wrap. So not having proper winter covers, inside storage makes sense (and makes it easier to work on the boat). Of course, the cost difference will vary in different places.

Quotes for heated storage on Lake Michigan for our 50' OAL x 14'2" beam OA 44 ranged from $5500 to around $6500 this winter. Our "regular" storage place was sold over the summer and the new owner downsized the number of available storage buildings. We were notified in mid-August that we were "out in the cold". That left us scrambling for a spot. I was on waiting lists up and down both shores of Lake Michigan. (Moral of the story: lock in a contract in the Spring!) BTW. the storage places on LM charge by cost per square foot...and they measure length and width down to the inch).

Also, storage contracts state that your insurance is responsible for damage incurred while in their building (freeze damage, for example). I inspect the primary and backup heating systems in the facilities before signing up. That said, the reputable places seem to take responsibility in spite of the onerous contract wording.

Last edited:
Heated storage for a 45 foot boat will be very hard to find and very expensive.

Just for example on my 36 footer: Outside storage is around $1,500, Inside storage is around double that ($2,500), Inside heated storage will be double again, around $5,000.

pete
at Hucks in Rockport or Ivy lee in Lansdown inside heated for Ted's boat is between 5 & 6K CDN, generators on both locations avoiding need for winterization

at Hucks in Rockport or Ivy lee in Lansdown inside heated for Ted's boat is between 5 & 6K CDN, generators on both locations avoiding need for winterization
Be careful, doors aren't very high,
There's only really one in 1000 Islands, Horizon

Where we are there are several heated storage locations but you do need to reserve early. Some on Lake St. Clair have large boat storage capacity.

Another solutions is to file for USCG Documentation - That will eliminate all state registration requirements no matter where you decide to stay. The actual receipt of documentation will take some time, but once you have filed just retain all of your application paperwork and that will suffice. Don't forget to remove any current state registration numbers and stickers from your vessel so avoid any confusion.

Another solutions is to file for USCG Documentation - That will eliminate all state registration requirements no matter where you decide to stay. The actual receipt of documentation will take some time, but once you have filed just retain all of your application paperwork and that will suffice. Don't forget to remove any current state registration numbers and stickers from your vessel so avoid any confusion.

That is not always true, many states require you to have state registration but you are not required to display the registration numbers, sometimes just the registration sticker.

This is not correct. Some states don't require registration of documented boats, but others do. In NY, for example, you still need to register the boat, but you don't receive or display NY numbers, just the NY registration sticker for a documented boat. Then again, NY registration is so cheap compared to some that it's hardly worth worrying about (my last registration renewal for the big boat cost $75 and it's good for 3 years, the dinghy is $22.50 for 3 years).

Interesting! I guess a small factor for "Slow Hand" to consider in where to establish their base.

One important factor for many choosing Brewerton is ease of transportation... Syracuse airport is not far away and has good choices for flights.

Back
Top Bottom